Mixing advices

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Michelangelo, Dec 25, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Member

Hi guys, So I do producing for about 2y now. For now I think I am at semi-pro level maybe a lil bit lower.
    My main problem for some reason is that I don't understand the frequencies best, so pretty much I am more beatmaker than mix/master eng.

So here are 2 examples, the beat no 1 is mine beat no 2 Is from well known producer 808melo, Can somebody please help me understand the problems in my mix better. Thanks !

1. https://gofile.io/d/xUlWbY (I couldn't upload file site say its too large)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

4. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Member

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Ok, I'm not an expert when it comes to this genre, but here's what I could hear:
    - BD, while Central Cee seems to distort it in a pretty controlled way, yours seems to simply overpower the plugin. Maybe also try to adjust between soft and hard clipping (for instance with something like https://www.siraudiotools.com/StandardCLIP.php).
    Also focus more on 50 - 60Hz than on 40Hz.

- Where's your bass?

- Your HHs are too upfront and too sharp, try lowering the highs and use a limiter/clipper to tame the attack. A tiny bit of room could also help.

- As a side note, I like your panned piano notes but they're completely gone in mono. Remove the widener, or lower its effect a lot.

6. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Besides all that @No Avenger has pointed out, I guess an issue could be your listening environment. In my monitors, it feels like all the mid range has been pushed far away. If your listening environment (headphones or monitors) are too mid-rangey, You'll naturally want to push up the lows and highs, which is why the hihat is so pokey and the kick so whacked out of control.