Mixing a Opera + Electronic track together properly

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Mixtic, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Mixtic

Mixtic Guest

So I have been working on setting myself up for this project for a long time now, where I plan on combining classical singing, and electronic music together. Here is a video of me singing it over a beat I made (this is just when the project was a sample, and drums, but in January I will be creating the instrumental from scratch):

In January I am planning on getting my voice, plus a violin solo line recorded in a studio in LA, and the guy who is going to record me said he will do so on a Neumann M-50, which is apparently a legendary microphone for orchestral recordings...Anyways, I am going to be using a lot of kontakt libraries on the beat (Specifically chamber strings, brass, and woodwinds by Spitfire, and a 8dio Choir library called Insolidious), along with implementing classic electronic chords through serum, some piano from either Keyscape or Addictive keys, and consistent a 808 sample. I was told I should make the beat before I went to the studio, and a rough mix. I do not trust them with mixing it tho, because further conversation lead to me understanding that the people who will be recording me have little experience with mixing. This is a very ambitious sound, and I want to come prepared or see if there is a supplement to recording me properly. I sing very loud, and I want to make sure that if I am recorded in a large or small space I can fit my voice in the mix properly. Should I bring a mix in mono? Should I have no effects added until I my vocal? Is the natural reverb in those kontakt libraries going to infringe the mix in the end? Before adding the vocal should I just gainstage only? If anyone could help bring clarity to my problem or offer help however they can it would be very much appreciated.