Mixer x2 in Reaper

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Rhodes, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Hello,

Is it anyhow possible to have 2 opened, docked mixers in Reaper, each of them having a different tracks layouts on them ? (same track but represented on different track layouts in each mixer ? )

3. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

dont think so... and at this ponit I don't know for what reason someone will need that. (with no disrespect) :)

4. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

humans.. unlimited wants..

@Rhodes.. did you drop an inquiry at the Reaper forum?
    There is probably someone there who is interested in this function as well..

so many resources and people interested in tweaks of all kinds..

5. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Yes, drop this request there, because they are working on new big 5.40 update, and are going to release some smaller updates such as 5.34, etc. So this looks like a good feature for 5.40.
    In 5.40 they are going to implement spectrograms, spectral editing, automation items and other stuff, fixes and improvements.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  6. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

@Rhodes ...but on the other hand, if You are willing to explain us for what reason You need this, maybe there is another solution to Your problem rather than second mixer with same tracks but diferent layouts. :unsure:

7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

There might be an extension that sortof does partway what you're wanting?

8. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

It would be too long to explain it with words, so here a screenshot:

why.jpg

The "inspector" is actually a docked mixer on the left with all the tracks set to the so called "inspector layout", and the other standard mixer that I pasted into the picture, should be docked to the bottom, with all the tracks set to their own layout usable for a reduced mixer view
    So, to get a feel of a "one screen daw" in Reaper, You need 2 mixer windows + the story of different layouts on them
    ... hope that explains it :unsure:

Albert`s themes have a very similar concept, but without the second mixer... so You choose mixer or inspector...
    I want them both !!!! :chilling:
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

yep

10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

In other words, what Reaper needs is actually an "inspector" like in Cubase, not a second mixer. :wink:

I agree. Having a track inspector on the left would be very helpful, especially when you don't use multiple screens. It certainly would speed up the workflow. I actually think that "inspector" is more useful than a mixer. Nice reaper theme, Rhodes. Albert-C's?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. jaganshi

jaganshi Ultrasonic

12. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

13. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Exactly!, but since reaper doesn`t have an inspector, the idea to use a mixer instead is an interesting alternative... it works as intended, except the fact that You have to give up on YOur "standard" mixer on the bottom

(the skin is a modification of a pro x-tools gold 2.0.5 that I am assembling to my liking)

@Exidus :
    Thanks, I will check that one, maybe it has a solution... looking at the screenshot, the layout is what I had in mind.

@jaganshi :
    Thanks, I`ll have to try that too... at the moment is a bit unclear to me how that should work...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  14. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

Not sure if this will work, just a theory. But, can't you just make different screen sets of the Track Control Panel,or an overall screen set, and flip between them with a hot key?

15. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

Hi. yes you need screen sets. shift+f7-f8-f9 to save them , f7-f8-f9 to recall.

f7 (inspector) :
    [​IMG]

f8 (full mixer) :

[​IMG]

f9 (narrow mixer) :

[​IMG]

theme : http://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1932/CLogic.zip

fav plugz :

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

@tater_one yes exactly! that is my workaround for this problem... I have 3 diferent sets, each for diferent stage of production (tracking, editing and mixing) and they are saved under hotkeys (f8, f9, f10) and in any moment, just by selecting keyswitch, i'm able to turn diferent screenset... (for me is better solution because i'm working with one monitor and it would be messy to have all those things displayed at once)
    and it's really simple.
    e.g. e.g..gif
    sry. @korte1975 , I was busy making .GIF :bow:

17. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Of course, I use screen sets to switch between views, but screensets doesn`t remember track layouts as I am aware of ?!?

-Remember that the inspector is a separate layout, wider in size and with more controls on it than the usual layouts (not appropriate for a mixer view)
    So, to use the Docked mixer on the left as an inspector, You have to assign the "inspector layout" to all the tracks in the mixer... and there you loose the layouts that U normally use in a mixer view ... when You switch back from Your inspector view to Your mixer view, You find all the tracks in the mixer view to look as an inspector - a mixer full of inspectors ?!? :trashing:

this is the goal:

View attachment 5609

18. kostovas

kostovas Kapellmeister

Yeah it would be really nice to have a factory-made track inspector like Cubase with more functions than the normal channel strip.

The best would be to have HeDa's TrackInspector operations with a skin that follows the current theme.

19. davea

davea Platinum Record

You have to "undock" your mixer.
    Go down left the page, right click , untick "dock mixer in docker".
    Then you can move it on your other screen if needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: I should drink more coffee… Well, 2 mixer pages are not yet available but who knows with Reaper?!:rofl:

20. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

You are right, You can not save screensets with diferent layouts of MPC... :)

21. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

well, now that I am thinking, actually, there is a way to save different track layouts on different screensets. (for this particular case)

Let say Your theme is named "rea_theme_01" ...
    You clone it and name it "rea_theme_02" ... so now You have rea_theme_01 and rea_theme_02 in Your folder.
    - rea_theme_01 will be the original theme with all the standard layouts
    - rea_theme_02 should have all the layouts named as rea_theme_01 but they should actually point all to the Inspector Layout in the rtconfig file, so whatever layaut You choose in rea_theme_02, You always land on the inspector.

This way You can switch between mixer and inspector layout the fastest way, using "ctrl + alt + PgUp/PgDn " (actually switching themes), maintaining Your project "visual" setup.

...so, that solves the problem of different layouts on different screensets; in a not very conventional way, i must admit, but it does not solve the problem of the second mixer ...

( maybe opening the same project on two separate reaper sessions could be a direction where to look for an answer :rofl: )