mixer/interface for this setup at home?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by EddieXx, May 29, 2021.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

in studio ive worked with slightly different setups mostly itb, now at home these recent year i find myself often testing very much my mpc and ipad back and forth (plus with my regular daw)

its fun but a lot of connecting and disconnecting of:
    -usbs to connect midi keyboards to either mpc, daw, ipad
    -then sometimes wanting to record into ipad and then other days into the regular daw, then into mpc live.
    -and then getting sound out to my monitors of course, yet another recurrent problem!

i try to figure out a way to make this easier to handle but i think im either to tired or simply dont have a clear picture of what i want. the partial obvious answer seems a bigger (more inputs) interface or a mixer but then i still have the midi-keyboards issue left

do you have something similar, or can you make a mental picture of a working or semi-working setup? just a wild stab in the dark, thanks for any inputs

this is the stuff i have at home at the moment

-Windows desktop (daw)
    -Macbook
    -2 audio interfaces 4 mono inputs each, one is attached to my desktop (other is free used as portable solution mostly)
    -2 couple/sets of monitors/speakers
    -3 midi keyboards
    -Ipad (used sometimes as daw or sound-module)
    -Iphone (some synths/sound-module)
    -mpc (used as daw/sound-module)
    -drumpad (midi trigger)
    -electric guitar
    -dj set

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Usually it takes a months, if not years, to find out what you actually want. The way is the goal.

Kenton MIDI Thru 5 (MIDI Distributor)
    Lossless transmission of MIDI data of any kind to multiple recipients, 1 x Midi Input,5 x midi outputs, Contained power supply included, DC IN 9V, Robust aluminum housing, Dimensions: 100 x 50 x 35 mmm, Weight: 600 g (with power supply)
    https://kentonuk.com/product/thru-5/
    www.thomann.de/gb/kenton_midi_thru_5.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9

Audient - Audiointerface
    https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id14/overview/ or https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id22/overview/

4. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You can of course buy a real PC with a mainboard that has more USB connections than a notebook. Then everything has a fixed place and the repositioning is over. You can of course also choose an operating system, Win or Mac? Too many devices - ask if you really use it and need it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  6. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

thanks Beat16! i do have a pc, all that i listed in my first post is the stuff i have at home.
    i can get most things connected already, but if connected to the pc they are dependent on me starting a daw and not that flexible.

i would like to be able to run certain things without always having to run the pc, your suggestion of a midi hub is on the right direction. also that idea @boomoperator has of a patch is super interesting.

i just found a video though that seems to solve at lot, maybe this is it? it works independently of the computer, also, if its an hybrid digital/analog it can hook up all standalone and even direct talk to the desktop without another interface. the interface i have now is stupid in the sense it cant take in a stereo signal without a daw. in standalone it sums up left and right to a mess.

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The monitors are at the mixer outputs, so you can only switch on the mixer or use headphones. I tend to have a mixer - that is, 1 device for everything and then the whole thing directly from the mixer to the PC. It is best to have a mixer with more inputs and outputs in case a device is added. That has to be considered very carefully.

What do you do with the iPad and iPhone?

Mackie ProFX12v3 (12-channel Mixer) Mixers with USB
    Mackie ProFX10v3: 249,00 € / Mackie ProFX12v3: 349,00 € / Mackie ProFX16v3: 499,00 €
    https://mackie.com/products/profxv3-professional-effects-mixers-usb

Presonus StudioLive AR12c (14-Channel Analogue Mixer with USB Audio Interface) 499 ERU
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_...iZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  8. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

It sounds like you'd want a mixer with enough channels and direct outs with them, augmented with a patchbay that can do half-normal setups. That way you can just send everything to the desk and then send everything to both of your interfaces.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Do you use the analog audio outut from your iPad / iPhone, or digital audio over USB ?

10. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

yeah, you are right, those two i keep looking at, good to hear you too seem to like them. btw, this post is a way to make me structure my thoughts, you know its like talking loud for yourself (but better since you get great feedback lol)

i use music apps in the ipad, synths and daw-apps on it. and on the iphone i use it for a couple of synths.

sounds interesting yeah, going to give that a thought.

fact is i would like to have my 3 midi keyboards + one drumpad always midi simultaneously accessible from both my pc-daw and mpc, and ipad-daw, without pulling out usb cables.

a mixed usb/midi hub with enough midi inputs to take 4 midi controllers (midikeyboard plus drumpad) with outs to send that midi back and trigger sound sin either pc-daw or ipad or mpc. without pulling out cables.

so a midi hub and then a mixer that sends the audio back to either my pc-daw or ipad-daw. that should do it, hmm

yes! i dont think the ipad can send digital audio over usb, so yes analog audio in my case.

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Here is another interesting product, didn't even know that there was such a thing.

Midihub - MIDI Interface & Stand-Alone MIDI Processor - €164
    Process MIDI messages in tons of useful and creative ways!
    https://blokas.io/midihub/

Midihub is a versatile MIDI Processor, Router & MIDI Interface! It has classic MIDI Input and Output ports, 4 of each, as well as a USB port for power and/or communicating with your computer. Using the dedicated Editor you can set-up Midihub to process MIDI messages in tons of useful and creative ways and once your presets are stored you can use Midihub completely stand-alone in your computer-less setup.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Love it! Haha! I know, right? And I find external feedback to be less biased than any internal feedback I may or may not receive! lol
    I'm in your position, yet more so! haha.
    I still use a Soundtrack Spirit Folio that I used to use onstage to send my mix to foh.
    I'm sure you know that you don't want to use a usb hub for any audio, only MIDI. But just reminding.

13. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I have to agree with @boomoperator about MOTU, they make some solid products that don't rely on your computer being on all the time as long you don't need to make any changes. Their more recent interfaces also follow this trend but even better you can edit routing, make changes and use the onboard DSP with a tablet at anytime without having to power up or connect a large traditional computer.

Something like an 828es give you 28 x 32 I/O and 48 channel mixer with MIDI, you can control routing with your ipad or whatever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Very good device if you have € 1,025.
    https://motu.com/products/proaudio/828es & https://www.thomann.de/de/motu_828es.htm

15. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

While I love MOTU gear and would recommend it to anybody using a Mac (yeah I know it's better with Windows now, but old habits die hard) you can get all the inputs you'd ever need with Behringer stuff, a UMC1820/Ultragain/Ultrapatch is about 400 euros.

16. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Not much wrong with the 828ES, I'm a Motu user myself, but it still only has 1 Midi in/out.
    And audio i/o - "28 x 32" - is a combination of ADAT / SPDIF / analog ports.
    So if you don't have digital sources, it's got 10 analog inputs / 8>2 outs.
    Patchbays for MIDI & Audio are still needed in the OPs situation.

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual