MixChecker plugin?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Highdom, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Highdom

Highdom Kapellmeister

Hi, I am searching for a good plugin to try to emulate in my studio the listening from other device, for instance car speakers, hifi home system or smartphone.

I've found this Audiofield MixChecker but it's too expensive for me [iLok2, guys, u see what i mean], and this one by Tevio (MultiMix and Monomix) but they are only for windows and I work on Mac.

Any alternatives?
    Thanks!

3. somethin

somethin Member

MixChecker is trash. Unfortunately, the plugins just can't help here, you'll have to test it with the real thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Rings a bell but I don't recall concrete examples. You can start searching for plugins emulating monitors, I'm almost sure there was a recent thread about. Not the same, but pulling the string...

5. rowan

rowan Member

6. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

The only problem with that plugin is that, compared to MixChecker, Isone can only simulate speakers and a mixing enviroment inside the headphones, while Mixchecker can simulate others speakers on your actual speaker monitors, not just headphones. Mixchecker it's like a plugin version of Barefoot's MEME technology that's built in inside their monitors and that allows the users to make the Barefoot speakers sound like NS10s, Mixcubes, etc.
    That's one thing that i love about Mixchecker. Because you can also specify the size of your monitors woofer for a more accurate emulation.

@somethin , with high quality flat studio monitors (mid-range and above) and a well treated room the plugin is actually super useful, because it will work as intended. Use it in a trashy untreated room on KRK Rockits or alike and obviously that the plugin will "act trash" in its sonic behavior.
    P.S. i don't use the plugin just for its intended purpose, i also automate the bypass switch to use it as a "radio or telephone effect" on vocals and stuff like that. I bought it while it was still on sale. No regrets so far.

Evorax

7. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

If you want to emulate different devices,the best of the best is Audio Ease Speakerphone ! No comparison with this total garbage Mixchecker !
    I love Speakerphone,sound possibilities are limitless and really persuasive.It has some more features too,like reverb,distortion,EQ,compressor and many more.

https://www.audioease.com/Pages/Speakerphone/speakerphone.html

8. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

take it easy there, mixchecker is a very valuable plugin in my rack

edit; I like Af monitor from soundways, it's 100 bucks more expensive but without Ilok

9. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I've tried Mixchecker and I don't like it,sorry.I have deleted it some hours after I installed it.

But Mixchecker and Speakerphone are not engineered for the same job.
    Speakerphone is a creative FX,when Mixchecker is made to "check" your mix compatibility with other devices;but if you want to do that I think it's better to listen your mix with real earbuds or iphone or small speakers.

10. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Apples and Oranges comparison. Comparing a creative plugin (Speakerphone) to a monitoring-related plugin.

Mixchecker it is actually accurate. If its laptop reference settings doesn't sound like your laptop, that doesn't mean it doesn't sound like a laptop at all. Most of the laptops brands/models/series/etc. have different speakers and no laptop from brand A sounds like the laptop from brand B. FWIW, if you tick both high quality studio monitors + accurate/treated room, the plugin is more than usable. Just cause the plugin didn't connect with you that doesn't mean it doesn't connect with others who actually meet the criteria of using it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  11. DS99

DS99 Newbie

When I sit here and flick between a track playing on my iphone and the phone setting on MixChecker it always amazes me just how accurate it is and I find it really useful for checking if my bassline will cut through on crappy / tiny speakers etc. I am in a fully treated studio with Genelecs. It would agree that it is quite pricey for a handful of Impulse responses with a pretty GUI but I have ended up using it quite a lot.

12. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I suggested Speakerphone because he doesn't clarify what he exactly wants to do with.

And I have ever listened a lot of laptops,Macbook pro,etc...I have good Adam monitors.
    I like,I love from Audified their RZ062 EQs,their U78 saturator and their U73b compressor but not this Mixchecker.

13. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Just like i said, if it doesn't connects with you then it's all good, others will still stick to it if it works for them. But i've heard someone a while ago on this forum saying that the plugin's laptop impulse didn't sound at all like their laptop speakers therefore calling the plugin "trash" and i found that statement so funny and narrowminded. So basically my laptop example wasn't aimed at you by any means, it was just an example to justify the fact that the plugin might not resonate with users who expects it to sound exactly like the equipment/laptops/phones they have around.

P.S. Good monitors doesn't mean they'll perform good in an untreated room, they'll act anything but flat. I've listened to high-end flagships like Focal SM9 and ADAM S3H in a 40% glass little room with no acoustic treatment and it sounded like cheap 30$ chinese hifi speakers ---> to get the best out of the references that the plugin's trying to provide the user with they first need an accurate monitoring system to get the best out of it.

Also, i'm using Mixchecker as an effect too. I end up using it on vocals pretty often for the "radio effect" type of sound.

About their other plugs, i do like their U78 comp and saturator too. Great stuff.

14. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Of course others can like it.But not me.And for 150€....I just don't understand their customers.
    Everyone is free.

15. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Price wise I can’t comment. I’ve got it for 75 when on sale.

16. Kingofthehill

Kingofthehill Newbie

Ignore the guy who said mixchecker is trash. That guy is completely wrong and ain’t mixing professionally obviously. Don’t listen to advice like that.

I know a Grammy mixer who uses Mixchecker and it saves him a ton of time instead of having to print and bounce and run around validating a mix.

Grammy Mix tip from my friend: Learn how Mixchecker sounds with pro mixes then translate that to your mixes. Just like you gotta learn how to mix in your control room with new monitors it will take practice learning how Mixchecker sounds correctly in your mix. Again that takes practice. Nail that and you’ll save yourself months if not years worth of work going back and forth if you do this for a living.