Mixbus v4 - £31.20/$39 - Half price, special offer!

Discussion in 'DAW' started by ed-enam, May 11, 2017.

1. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Decent offer to see if you like their workflow etc, but the Mixbus 32 is fairly average and has limitations. It isn't their full featured version, which is the Mixbus 32C, which has the VST optimisations and 32C console analogue modelling etc.

4. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Yea I have Ardour newest version but was really put off by the limitations, specially midi as well as forum support. Dev himself answers your query but has no interest in solving your problems. Uninstalled it after a while.

How about 32C? Can you have it as a one-stop daw?

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yeah. It's at a kind of crossover point with v4 just released I think. To me (and tons of other people who've blind tested it), the DAW definitely sounds better due to their Harrison 32C console modelling and gives a genuinely natural, warmish, analogue feel to the sound. However, in v3 the MIDI features etc were pretty limited but improving MIDI was one of their main goals of v4 I believe. I'm yet to fully play with it, but I do intend to. From my initial, and short, tinkering with it, it seems like it could cope with being a primary DAW now with v4, but you may hit some limitations depending on your usage need. I think it's promising though, and already looking forward to trying to run it through its paces for real.

6. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Regarding 32C, I found this video to be helpful. A direct comparison of the same mixes on Reaper and Mixbus. Decide for yourself what sound appeals to you. For me it was the Mixbus mixes which surprised me. A reveal video also exists. Look for it after you watched this one. (And don't use hifi-headphones!)

7. Peek

Peek Ultrasonic

Things have changed a lot since then. 32c is now stable, midi-optimized, vst, and AU compatibility, incredible routing, pre-post metering and monitor sections that are on top of every DAW. It's sounds fearfully. 12 mixbuses instead of 8 and expanded strip channel Eqs. It's a fantastic DAW.
    I tested the demo ver very well. It has loaded about 2500 plugins and did not refuse anyone.
    I'm dreaming about the 32C ver..

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  8. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

I am always impressed by the inspiring looks and sound of 32C. It's inbuilt saturation on buses and master does something which is really awesome. This can be imitated in other daw by using console plugins but what is 'default' is default. How about the freeze instrument or fx? Does it do like Reaper in which you completely offload the vsti or fx. Or you just print the stem and dislodge the instrument. Also CPU usage?

9. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Yes have watched this one and the reveal one earlier. As I said Mixbus sounds pleasant because of default saturation so naturally it will sound good if you mix wisely. Main problem in earlier versions were advance midi implementation and vsti outputs, and when I asked devs about this they replied that they do not have any intentions doing so as this was not their goal. Now they must have worked on it I guess.

10. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Hm, I found this video confusing because I apparently preferred different daws throughout :woot:

11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@ed-enam
    Do you use it as your main daw now?

12. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

No Von still using Reaper. Have love and hate relationship with it :). I am not sure about Mixbus midi capabilities yet. But I have a demo installed on my laptop and so far due to lack of midi tutorials and my urge to conquer it as quickly as I can have made me stuck on many places. Need to also learn that when you open a daw, you have to get rid of the mentality of why it's not behaving like x,y, z daw. But at anytime if it would prove to me doing sufficient tasks which should also be not at the cost of CPU usage, I will jump in. I am a potential buyer for them now :).

13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Saw the overview video of version 4, really like the layout and the fast access to certain tools, to me that is priority, hence why i prefer mixing with cubendo over other daws, its just fast.
    Reaper 5 also has vca now and other useful tools, nice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This was one of the videos i was referring to but couldn't remember when i said others have positively blind tested the DAW.

15. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Rather than the demo, why not go over the sister site and grab the full 32C version to try out the full capabilities without restrictions before deciding to buy or not?

16. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

It's ok bud. It only introduces a white noise in a while otherwise there is no restrictions.

17. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Guys i like Mixbus \m/ ive been doing all my creating and basic Eq and tone shaping in Cubase 8.5 and Sonar Platinum >>>but doing final renders in Mixbus using AA plugs where needed aswell... im getting some pretty awsome finals doing this... I even use the Eq on the 32c channels and its really good for Algo i must say... I started off bouncing stems and mixing in Mixbus 32c but now days im just routing out of my DAW's into mixbus channels and buses back into my main DAW's with killer results... but i have enough power to do this so it works out great no bouncing... i did give this thing a go on the creating side of the midi and alot of the new features its come along way from the first version in terms of creating and stability \m/ I seem to be getting more lively sounding mixes with tighter low end working this way with 32c... Try it out for yourself its Def worth a shot ! \m/ Oh yeah and the spill feature is major awsome advantage on speeding up the mix by one click on the bus it only shows the tracks going into that bus makes for fast editing \m/

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  18. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

so i watched video first while listening on my headphones (the ones i usually use when i'm mixing). i have to confess that with my eyes closed, i could not hear any difference between the "a" and "b" mixes. kind of scary actually - i guess my ears are getting too old. then i watched the video while listening on my stereo system. now the difference was clear. i found the mixbus versions to be more enjoyable (more spacious and warm, and less harsh in the high end). hmmmmmmm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  19. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Does mixbus have pdc ?

20. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

The tracks do, but not the Aux busses. This is what the product manager answered mid March 2017 on a forum regarding this question:

"
    On tracks, plugins are latency-compensated by "playing the audio data earlier". This is why you can have 'unlimited' latency compensation on tracks.

If you monitor through the track, it's just like a bus; the audio is just passing through. There is no way to 'play it earlier'. Instead we'd have to delay all the other paths to match. That can be done, but there will be drawbacks.

Currently all that latency-compensation for buses is done in the Harrison mixer engine ( the mixbuses ). If you want latency-compensation, you need to use the Harrison mixer, not the ardour buses.

Best,
    -Ben
    "

source