Mix With The "Masters".

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by garfinkle, May 8, 2021.

1. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record

Seriously?

Some of these guys are as clueless as I was when I was 17. Does anyone seriously learn anything from these idiotic vids?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

Show us how it's done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. garfinkle

Well, I would...but then Id have to kill you.

Do you gain any actual knowledge fro these things? Who are these "masters"?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

How original.

If you don't know who they are then go use google and educate yourself.

6. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

I see the MWTM more as tips & tricks that you pick up along the way to expand your palette and apply to your workflow, it's not meant for beginners.

It's very useful if you're decently experienced and already creative in your approach when mixing.

And I agree with @Jim Von Gucci, if you're going to bash on these "masters" as you say it, at least look them up because their portfolios are quite rich, and that's an understatement. They're there for a reason.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Barmaley (covid edition)

Barmaley (covid edition) Kapellmeister

No, I think that after the show, you would have to kill yourself against a wall of all your beggar equipment. :rofl:

8. adsaxxx

adsaxxx Ultrasonic

You are actually not wrong. I've watched a lot of these too, to now if there were things i didn't know. Never found one. Now that's not to say that i know everything. But if you watch em, you'll notice that, they're not really that tech savvy. A lot of the times they're very doubtful too about the choices they've made during mixing process just like us. The difference is, They're just handed, top notch material. Maybe these videos weren't designed to be that detailed. These days, if at all I watch em, i just do to pick up any Industry workflow or tips. Because lets be honest, we all know the same sh*t.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. garfinkle

Good point.

10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

A great number of these are geared towards modern music and, they probably should be because we all live in the present. However, engineering, mixing, mastering and producing in the true sense, started before electronica.
    While it's only my opinion, a great proportion of these would serve across the board better if they used all recorded instruments that are raw and were performed in different combinations. Orchestral, trio, quartet, unusual instruments etc etc etc - but all raw. The principles are the same except the raw files have no processing at all. This means each person is seeing the demonstration from start to finish, with all the artefacts, bleed and things an engineer, mixer and producer has to deal to and with.

If someone is working with files that already have a set gain, or pre-processed, the results won't be massively different with many engineers unless the person screws up balances, EQ and compression. Raw files, well that requires more skill.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

Past the beginner stuff, most tutorials/masterclasses should last 30 seconds and be something along the line of "sit down, work, get good and develop your network". Something can beat experience, they could tell you all the secret right away, you wouldn't get better at producing.
    Also, professionnals are not necessarily experts at everything, I had the opportunity of watching some of my idols do their thing (through twitch and patreon) and I was like "are you kidding me? this is so goddamn basic!"

12. garfinkle

So true. I was fortunate enough to get a start in a working studio in the eighties. Man, those cats recording the SSO (on SSL) knew their shit. A masterclass from some of those guys would be truly interesting.

13. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

I Actually do Believe they do more harm than good, i do enjoy watching some, but i'm more intrested in their story than their techniques, and even if i'm intresting in some of theirs, i try to impliment it carefuly, mixing is like developing a personality, listening to the wrong experiences might damge yours, even if their attention is good. hope it makes sense :rofl:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

With me, it's more their approach, not their techniques. I suppose that could be attributed to their story, but more in the way where I may get a different way of doing the same thing, or a different perspective. It doesn't mean I'd do it that way, but the more tools in the toolbox, the less likelihood in a difficult situation of having to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

15. anissbenthami

anissbenthami Kapellmeister

Knowing who they are won't help him mix better, it would have been better if you simply answered his question about if you have learned something from them.

16. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

Better if you simply read his question before commenting as he also asked "Who are these "masters"?"

17. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

All I know is that Jaycen Joshua looks like he smells like old bologna & makes me gag when I see his hairy legs &.. Nothing in these MWTM vids you can’t already find on YouTube. Hell, even Jaycen Joshua’s hairy ass legs are in other videos on the tube.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

They are in the same league as those “Master Class” videos. 96% corn filler, 4% nutrients.

19. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

The Nick Launay one where he deconstructed Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' Jubilee Street was excellent.

20. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Probably some of the best mixing tutorials I've watched as far as it being interesting is Alex Tumays twitch feed.. I watched him basically mix a whole song with sound toys bundle.. I may be exaggerating alittle but it was surprising how good his mix turned out.. I think if you know 2 or 3 plugins in and out is better then a room full of top gear.. some of these older guys shouldn't be mixing hiphop and trap for instance I saw one of the guys side chaining their 808 and kick.. which for some weird reason people do.. but these are just my thoughts..

21. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

Masters of disasters