Mix feedback? (original alternative rock song)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by RLV, Jun 5, 2022.

1. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

I have really been working on my craft since the last time I posted on here for advice and was curious how much/if I have improved since and where my mix currently sits. Constructive criticism always welcomed, just please consider the constructive part if you do have critiques. Thanks in advance!

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I love this song:wink:
    Constructively I would say things feel a little too compressed, I feel like you could really open things up if you eaze off of compressing some of these elements. Then the vocal might sit in the mix a bit better but the singing style and vocal performance is perfect imo.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time to listen!
    I do tend to use a bit of compression across the mix to get that consistency in order to achieve that modern competitive loudness.
    I will try to figure out another way to get there in the future as I consider your advice.

Thank you!

5. MarkyMW

MarkyMW Platinum Record

I played this through to the end and 30mins later I was humming it to myself, nice one.

I agree with @KungPaoFist it feels a bit too compressed with the vocals sat on top at times. It didn't stop me enjoying the track (but my ears did feel a bit tried by the end)

Thanks for the great composition and performance :drunks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

@MarkyMW

Thanks so much, that is really cool and motivational. So glad to hear that it can have an ear worm potentiality.

Compression is such a tricky thing that I definitely have to work on. The battle between intelligibility in the vocals and "sitting in the mix" right, is a challenging task when working with a dense mix with distorted guitars, or so I have experienced.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks so much for listening.

7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Really nice song, enjoyed it!

Agree with regards to it sounding a bit overly compressed. I feel like the drum patterns for the first two thirds are a bit too repetitive and tame. Big cymbal hits or more prominent tom rolls could help make more impactful transitions between parts.