Mix feedback? after applied advices from previous threads.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by RLV, Apr 5, 2022.

1. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

I have posted a couple of threads on here seeking advice on mixes and have gotten some really useful advices through doing so, thanks to all those who help. Was wondering how this sounds to some of you after applying some of the things that have been brought to my attention here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Quite a classy song, expressive with heart and emotion - a hit. Keep it up...!
    The end of the song is unfortunately cut off.

4. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I think the guitars lack a bit of mids somewhere at or above 1khz. And vocals vice versa. <1 db or something.
    But all in all you can leave it like this because this is nothing really significant to me.

5. Yama

Yama Newbie

This sounds really good. All the elements seem very well balanced. If there was anything I would say could change it would be that the vocals could be a little louder. All in all this is a fantastic job :like:

6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

An improvement. Still some wash in some places. Level are right, now that last 5% is all going to be EQ in the mix. That simplest of tools is always the biggest PITA to get right.

Solid work and solid progress.

I wouldn't say louder, but more mid-range presence where our ears work well. If you actually make them louder they will just be present when you turn it up instead of present at low volumes and and pocketed at higher volumes.

7. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

People are too generous with this one.
    The vocal clashes with the guitars. By itself guitars sounds fine, but they take away from the vocals. Gotta choose one priority or automate things so vocals and guitars trade places when necessary.
    The dynamics is destroyed, pretty much. Especially in the lows and subs, virtually no difference between the bass drum and bass guitar. No pulse, no groove, just a uniform hum.
    Uncomfortable level of IMD, and that's coming from the guy who once put a bitcrusher on a mix bus.
    No contrast between instruments. No foreground, no background (except for vocals, lol, a little bit (and even this is probably a recording booth reverb)), everything is just as flat as the oscillogram.
    Imagine how this mix would sound normalized to -12 LUFS in 128 kbps .mp3.
    Also is that Flatline I'm hearing? Throw that shit away.

8. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

Not my type of music but managed to stick with it to the end... not like a lot that get posted here

9. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

Thanks.

10. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

Thanks, yeah I had noticed especially in the verse the vocals were too mid-range boosted.

11. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

Thanks a lot!

12. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

Yeah I agree, definitely not 100% where I want it, still have some things to figure out. I think a lot of the lack of vocal presence is coming from compression through the tracks, could be wrong but my gut is saying that's it (along with some EQing)

Thanks!

13. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

Awesome, I'll take it!
    Thank you.

14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Try it out: Compressor - Vocals (The voice can have a dynamic range of up to 25db.)

Threshold - 15
    Ratio 5:1
    Output Control +11

Too short times = distortion -|- Too long times = audible compressor

15. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

Haha, well we can't have that now can we, no worries, you've come to save the day.

Interesting take. They seem to mesh well together to me, but maybe you can elaborate?

As far as the dynamic level of the track as a whole, there isn't much to begin with since the heavy rhythm guitars and heavy drums are throughout the whole song, And the bass/bass drum dynamics, hmm that is interesting. Nothing resembling a "uniform hum" on my end through any of my listening devices. I have a persistent thump of the BD and the bas is following the rhythm of the guitars (as is the BD as it should). Maybe I'm missing something, not seeing/hearing something you are, again, elaborate if you would.

Hmm, could be the equipment I use? I don't have a fancy studio setup, just the bare minimum to get the job done. If you think it's something else causing IMD, by all means, would love to know your thoughts/suggestions. And why in the world would you put a bit crusher on your mix bus haha.

Sure confuse on this as well. Rhythm guitars hard panned L/R, lead guitar centered SD & BD centered, cymbals/toms in stereo, vocals centered, reverb+delay on lead guitar, delay and reverb on vocal tracks, harmonies on vocal track drenched with more reverb/delay. And no haha, I don't use flatline.

16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Mixer Wisdom:
    1.) You should never position an instrument very hard left or very hard right. The maximum should never exceed 75%.

2.) Bitcrushing is a powerful yet easy way to punch up your mixes.

17. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

Not with rock/metal music. LCR mixing is what is predominantly used by professionals. 99% of rock/metal mix engineers hard pan rhythm guitars.

18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

It doesn't matter what you're told, you'll do it the way you think is right anyway.
    It is very difficult to talk to you, you are so set in your ways. I give up.

19. RLV

RLV Kapellmeister

Buddy, do some research. You obviously don't know about rock/metal mixing, mixing rhythm guitars. I understand you're trying to help, but you are wrong on this point, sorry if it damages your ego, but you are just wrong on that, not trying to hurt your feelings.

20. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

You know, I wanted at first to elaborate as you asked, but something tells me you would just dismiss whatever I have to say and all my time with it.
    I'll tell you one thing tho. If you really knew how to mix metal, your mixes would've been better compared to actual professional mixes like the ones of Meshuggah or Mick Gordon or hell even Sumeriancore FFS.
    K now bye

21. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I am not an ego guy and open to any criticism, I want people to listen to me and so I listen to you.
    I got my knowledge from textbooks and that's how I learned it.

So if you knew how to mix, your mix would sound better.
    I think you need more practice and take more time. It may well be that you suffer from overconfidence.

I have written to you before that you should give your mix to a sound engineer, so that he can tell you what is going right or wrong. Your song is great class and you are talented, but if you apply with the mix at a record company they send you to a professional studio to make the sound really ready for the press, so Charttauglich.

So do not take it personally. You are always welcome for a cup of coffee.