Mix and Mastering with KI?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by namurtik, Oct 17, 2024 at 11:01 AM.

1. namurtik

namurtik Noisemaker

Hi everyone!

I’m a German rap artist and I want to record songs at home instead of going to a studio, where I don’t feel as comfortable as I do in my own space. I don’t have treated walls, but I do have an Aston Micshield. I’d like to use AI as much as possible for mixing and mastering. How would you approach this? What AI tools do you know that could make this easier for me? I have a basic understanding of how to set EQ and compression but don’t feel confident enough to do it all on my own just yet.

3. Radio

Radio Kapellmeister

4. akbarz

akbarz Kapellmeister

Boris FX CrumplePop

5. ITHertz

ITHertz Kapellmeister

Get the tracks sounding as good as possible during the recording phase. AI won't be able to help much with that though! If your room's untreated and not soundproofed then you need to account for both of these issues. Maybe have a look at Mike Senior's Recording Secrets book to get a handle on basic recording technique. I wouldn't worry too much about mixing and mastering until you can record something that's half-decent.
    HTH, Cheers!

6. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Use reference tracks to get a feel how your setup sounds. First just critical listening a lot, then when mastering (observing levels etc. obviously) you can A/B every once in a while.

As for tools, I'm not a mastering engineer but for rough and ready tracks I used to use Ozone (which is good) but these days it's bx_masterdesk. Both easy enough to learn for an idiot like me.

7. Radio

Radio Kapellmeister

Today, we don't like plugins and good software, but rather knowing how to use it. I always recommend buying books like "Mixing like a pro by Booby Oswinsky" but I think the young generation hardly reads or owns any books.

Most of them are too lazy and some are too stupid. Of course, that's not how it will be with number 1 hits in the charts. Many people hope that the expensive studio plugins - Madonna's sound engineer also uses them - will improve their mix.

If you don't know what a compressor does and how it works, you end up with unlistenable junk. It's twice as hard as a rapper these days because the people you mostly listen to have just as little knowledge and talent to create a usable and listenable song.

AI is the new hype and AI sells very well, but it's no substitute for learning and practicing and gaining practice.

8. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

izotope RX can be a lifesaver for cleaning up bad recordings, but I do agree that getting a good recording in the first place should be the priority

9. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

Sonnible bundle will help you out, but what others have said. The quality of the recorded sound will determine your end quality. Learn to mix with headphones. If you have the UAD Apollo, the API Vision channel has a Gate that will cut off all noise during recording. Make sure to use a blanket to cut off reverb reflections. It's doable, but you must become creative in solving your weaknesses.