Mix and Master Feedback, (Mix contest)

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by MrLyannMusic, Apr 25, 2020.

1. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all well and fine especially in our current situation.

That being said, as the title suggest i'm seeking your feedback on a mix contest!

Anything you have to say might help!

Google Drive Link

Contest Link

I Appreciate your time.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

The cons: :winker:
    - For a song with this low loudness range (usually wrongly called dynamic range), I find it too loud means, the LUFS a bit too high.
    - I think it's over compressed and under limited, IYKWIM.
    - The bass has some resonances.
    - For most parts of the song I can't hear a HH or a ride.
    - At least in the mp3 I can hear some clipping artifacts, you might want to check this for the wav.

The pros:
    Man, this sounds fat! Apart from the minor issues, it's good. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Hey man, Thanks for the reply,

While compression and Loudness is a personal taste, i agree on the hi-hat and ride problem, i guess the overheads were badly recorded as i had trouble cleaning and fixing, i Thought on re adding the nessasary cymbals using Superior drummer for exemple...

Bass resonances on the other hand i didn't get it, i'd appreciate a more detailed reply on that area, lastly, the artifacts are mainly Vocals with bad de-essing i guess, i tried fixing it with no luck, i'll see what i can do on that front.

Again Thank you man! you ROCK.

5. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

it sounds good but with the minor adjustments that no avenger says will be perfect. you did a great job i hope that my mixes sound like this someday hahaha

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

It's loud, I am not sure how loud probably -10 to -8 LU but if that sound you are after it's seems to work well enought.

Gets a little bright in the loudest parts with the guitars and the vocal stacking up from maybe 500Hz to 6000Hz.

The bass resonance is probably the wonk from bass lacking transients and some phase issues with the guitars I hear it but it's not too much of a problem other that a a bit of honk and some weird stereo field shifting, I think that in this genre with that kind of loudness, if the source material isn't clean it is one of the compromises that come with the goal.

Sounds good though not sure what the original sounds like but I hope you get what you are after.

7. No Avenger

As to my experience less compression and more limiting sounds more punchy.

Good idea. Maybe you can gain MIDI notes for HH and ride?

Ok, will be working on it.
    EDIT: It's a synth reso like sound, best to be heard in the verse, for instance starting at 0:19.
    Minor problem, probably a dyn EQ would work best.

Did you try a cleaning tool, like de-crackler, de-clicker? Not speaking of a plugin but a program.
    I needed to do this several times.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  8. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Getting a mix to sound loud and still balanced is the ultimate mix engineer goal as that how you'd know a mix is good, and i usually go for even higher, i usually do two separate master job, one LOUD -6, for CDs and and downloadable mp3, and one @-12/14 for streaming services, and youtube videos, incase the band want to make a video for the song. And yes the source materials weren't perfect, and had problems, especially the overheads...
    Thank you mate!

I usually use two separate buss compressor on my master each doing a little bit, to get that creamy compression results, plus a clipper to make sure nothing is going out of place, then comes limiting, which depends on the master as i said earlier, either for cds or streaming services...

on the bass matter i still do not hear the problem(maybe because i'm biased ?) if you find the culprit frequencies so i can solo it and hear exactly what's going on that would solve it.

Lastly i try to avoid de-crackler de-clicker or any other similar processing unless it is the only and last solution, in this situation things were just unbalanced, bad frequencies and thing going all over the place, i was looking for a quick way to extract midi from overheads but it seems that's not that easy, so i'm planning and writing the midi notes myself.

Again your rock man! Thank you.

9. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

10. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Here's my official entry link guys!

Please take a listen and leave a comment!

Thank you.

11. No Avenger

[​IMG] Best of luck for the contest.

12. odod

odod Rock Star

KILLEERRR TRACK