Missing .NKC File Help (Voice of Rapture - The Tenor)

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Iggy, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Don't suppose anyone has the .nkc file for "Soundiron Voice of Rapture - The Tenor" they could share, do they? For some reason, it's missing from my library. I figured I'd ask around on here before downloading the whole %#$#^!* 5.3 GB library again just for that one 40 kB file. Any help would be deeply appreciated!

(Edit: never mind; it looks like I'm missing a bit more more than just the .nkc file. Unfortunately, I can't delete this thread, sorry!)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  3. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

NKC are Native Kontakt Cache files and Kontakt creates them automatically again if its missing .

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I did not know that! Unfortunately (see above), that's not the only file missing, or I'd breathe a sigh of relief. Some .nki's also vanished. Looks like I'll have to re-download the whole mess.

5. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

you may need to check your hard drive because it can have damaged sectors, if there are some files randomly missing.

6. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I just defragged a little while ago and lost a few files. iDefrag was outdated and apparently, that version hates Sierra. I also didn't TM first, so I got screwed (or, more accurately, screwed myself) big time. I will say this: MacOS has come a long way, as I was able to reinstall Sierra over my existing install without losing any other files. Back in the olden days, I would have had to wipe my drive, do a clean install and migrate all my data from whatever backup I had made.

7. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I always thought I was up-to-date about mac but had to realize recently that I had done the OS update process wrong for a long time. Either upgrading directly from the previous one, without backing it up with TM first, or doing a clean install (when installing a new hard drive) and reinstalling everything, causing crazy Font incompatibility all of a sudden. I haven't even realize about the Recovery partition since it have been existed (perhaps because I still used older OSs). Last week copying the system HD to a new SSD with CCC and trying to do an update to High Sierra unsuccessfully, I finally tried it doing a clean install and migrating everything pointing to the TM backup (actually I could have pointed to the old HD, too), I was surprised how fluidly it does work.
    Many people complain about problems with audio software after upgrading to a newer OS, nobody should do it without backing up in TM first.
    I regret not having updated to El Capitan from Yosemite for so long, it really fixes many buggy operation, it runs the CPU less hot and uses less memory. I tested High Sierra on an external SSD but the warnings about the incompatibility (even if it seems to work fine) when you open CS6 apps is scary. I don't need Siri and I don't use iOS devices, so El Capitan suits the best so far.

I never do defrag on a mac, only use Disk Utility's First Aid. Just like not using these third-party antivirus software, even the memory cleaner that I tried for a while, found somehow fishy. Better upgrading to a OS that doesn't need these workaround apps.

8. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I've only ever used CCC once. After the first time I used Time Machine to put everything on a fresh hard drive, I was sold on it. And normally, I do a complete backup before detailing my HD (dumping all the caches, fixing permissions, rebuilding the directory, defraying, running CleanMyMac, etc.), but I didn't think it was a big deal this one time and paid for it dearly ... only because I was using an out-of-date version of iDefrag (which is dead technology anyway as of High Sierra, due to the new APFS HD file system).