Missing Deep Analog Rumble in my Vsti´s - looking for Hardware?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Molly Poppins, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

Hi,
    I am using like most bedroom producers Vsti Synths. But if your ears still remember how Analog Deep Bass sounds and vibrates, you might also so be missing something. When I listen to some old vinly Techno / Tech-house / Punk Tracks, immediately I think, wow that baseline sounds evil (I know there is also the vinly factor there, but the digital version also sounds better). I know the Vsts have improved extensively but somehow they still sound not analog enough.

I am questioning myself, is it my fault? Have I not created the best analog sound on the Vsts like Massive Slylenth...the closest I got is with Arturia Mini V3.

So wich Analag Hardware will produce the most analog deep rumble at the lowest key?

If I had enough cash, maybe my 1st choice would be a Elektron Analog Four MKII. But my Budget is limited to 400-500$-€.

So do I buy new hardware or used hardware? I did some research and listened to a lot of Youtube sounds demonstration videos. My favorite option so far is to buy a used Moog Sub Phatty!

Followed by the usual suspects that are also recommend in some of the threads on this forum.

Korg Monologue - 249€
    Novation Bass Station II -399€
    Arturia MiniBrute 2 -439€
    Roland SH-01A - 375€
    Moog Minitaur - 549€ / 400€ 2nd Hand
    Novation Circuit Mono Station -299€

I can get a used Moog Sub Phatty for about 400-450$ - new 999$ (7 years ago)

To buy Hardware makes only sense if I can really hear a huge difference to my Vst. So the Hardware really needs to melt my face.

Again, I am looking for the Best Analog sound MY money can buy, it should be deep, low, driven..making your heart skip.

What are your ideas? Happy for constructive Feedback!

3. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

4. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

I have done so many tutorials. I watched PML Videos of creating a Techno Track, Melodic Techno...but they did not have sound I was looking for. If you are younger and you like that electro sound, you would not understand. This is not "Rumbling" its more like Meow!

Also, this doing via Kick and Reverb, I even use Toms sometimes but this is not the issue. Is this deep, low, driven..making your heart skip?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  5. Rockseller

Rockseller Platinum Record

you tried sub boom bass vst from rob papen? its maybe something. i would def buy the moog from the list... (or subwoofers).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Who Me

Who Me Producer

Plugins are good (& better) for some things, but there's a reason I bought a real Moog & a Prophet 6.

Choose which hardware to buy carefully tho, it's not all worthwhile. Hands on interfaces are obviously more fun, bt if the end result isn't making your tunes better then why waste your money.

7. Downlo

Downlo Producer

Have u tried:
    1. Trillian by Spectrasonics. Great for Bass
    2. Effect Plugin called Lo-Air by Waves as an insert plug
    3. bx_Console by Brainworx as an insert plug
    4. Spitfire North 7 Kontakt Library

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This thread 's kind of duplicated or I started beer session without knowing it

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  9. lancexx

lancexx Producer

ANALog :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

Yes, I use Kick 2 and Rob Subass very often but does not really affect my bassline unless I am doing a rolling or rumbling Kick, but usually do them with 2 Toms.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

Heard of Trillian but have not tried any of them, will check them out. Thanks!

Gonna try Wave Submarine, Lo Air and Bass Rider.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  12. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

? That's just a realtime automated fader by Waves?

13. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

I dont know, just watched a Video on those Plugins, I am gonna try them for someting else. i dont see a application to the subject matter of this thread unless I misunderstood the plugins. They all add drive and dynamics as I see it.

14. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

Still wating for the hardware guys to give some feedback and tell me that Vsti suck and hardware is the only way to go , some Feedback from people that really own some of the top listed hardware would be nice.

15. Molly Poppins

Molly Poppins Ultrasonic

I bet long haired glamrock really like ANALog :bleh:

16. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

No, Bass Rider regulates the peaks in a Bass performance, so the level is more consistent.
    That one and Vocal Rider are like compression without using compression!

17. scott

scott Kapellmeister

I will try to be concise as possible here...to put it simply you just dont really know what you're doing yet, ive got several analog synths and owned many more including moog and a eurorack system and they all do great low end but so do modern softsynths like diva and legend and many others. If you cant get the sound you want from these plugins you wont solve the problem by buying hardware.

From what i can see from some of the things you've already said your time would be better spent digging deep into what you already have and working on production technique, lots of the techno producers that create tracks with that low end rumble bass that is quite fashionable these days are working ITB without any hardware. If you absolutely insist on buying an analouge bass synth then the minitaur is the pick of the ones you listed for that sound

18. A good mastering engineer can solve this assuming you have prepped your mixes. Even if you had bone shattering bass, a mastering engineer is going to dial it back.
    I have the king of hardware bass, the Minimoog. The VST Legend is no less bassy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Trillian is setup to really hype the low end out of the box- I always have to roll a crap-load off when I use it. The secret to getting thundering bass from your VST synths is- use an eq and add thundering bass. It's not rocket science :rofl:(Or actually, roll off high end- otherwise you'll run out of headroom anyway for your boom.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Raddler777

Raddler777 Guest

OP I get you. I know everyone will want to give their opinions and links to video tutorials but I know that feeling when you crave a sound you just can't seem to achieve with softsynths. Can you give us an example of a song with the kind of subbass you desire to create?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. Another point for your consideration. Assuming you have a hardware synth and even an analogue mixer where you can push 40Hz through the roof, you still need to get that back through your interface and into your DAW. Then there is no guarantee it's going to sound the same when played back. In fact, it can be so time consuming with all your focus on one bass synth you'll lose sight of the song.
    And as the comment above suggests, yes, you could point to a commercial track, but it will have been mastered and not really a fair comparison between bedroom studio and pro mastered.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List