Mirror Monitor on Android?

Discussion in 'PC' started by reziduchamp, Mar 27, 2018.

1. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Platinum Record

Has anybody used an android tablet or phone to mirror their studio setup? Anybody know if its possible and how to do it?

Its basically just to control the microphone volume input level, any compression and reverb etc and to hit record/stop when I'm ready.

I don't use phones much so I'm guessing I'll have to set up wifi or something.

I'm on Windows 10 PC running Ableton.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I use TouchDAW for such things. It's not a screen mirror, but it integrates into the DAW as a control surface through WiFi. I'm not an Ableton user however so check to make sure it could be used with that DAW. I'm on Windows as well. And I haven't got an internet connection at the studio, just a WiFi router in place so I can easily connect different devices for file sharing, remote control and such. So it'll work with or without a live internet connection.
    Another possibility is to use some type of RDP app to remotely control the PC. Turn off audio routing, though. I use RDP when rendering (freezing/bouncing) tracks to check on the status of the operation (if it's finished or not).

4. reziduchamp

Thanks for the suggestion. Its pretty much what I'm looking for. Didn't know these things existed. It doesn't record in demo mode so I'll have to buy it to try it. It the only thing I want it for really. Found it crashed already, which isn't a good sign. Wouldn't let me get out of the program so I had to reboot the phone.

LK and Launch Buttons look like they do similar things so I'll see which is the best option.

5. reziduchamp

Yeah I think this is perfect. Thanks. I have to check it with Record after I've bought it but I think it has all that I need. I might even consider an Android Tablet just for another copy at some point, it looks that good. Took all day setting it up. I've been trying the others and they were a nightmare to set up.

Can't believe a little device like this exists after the ridiculous setup I had with a third monitor, a bird table to put it on, extra cables, power cables, wireless mouse that loses connection etc... So apparently I can just use an old phone that was sat doing nothing and it seems to have everything I need.

6. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I have used it on a tablet (Acer A500) prior to getting a Faderport for recording automation moves as well. The tablet shows more available controls than a phone will due to screen size. I primarily use it on a phone for the remote recording scenario which you have described. I was using it on a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Never crashed on me with those two devices. The only quirk I have noticed is that sometimes it won't reconnect. The fix has always been to remove and re-add the connections in RTP Midi on the PC.

7. reziduchamp

Good to look out for thanks. I seem to get issues on Ableton with it not finding the correct tracks and not recording. Needs some work to get used to but I think I found a workaround the other day. One drawback is making sure its actually recording, I can't see once I'm in the booth and on tests I got back to find nothing in there, so I hit record first and then made the tweaks. It works in a sense anyway, but it needs some tweaking for sure.

I didn't have playback loaded in Ableton either, which kind of killed everything I wanted to achieve, like adding fx and changing the volume, so I do need to get used to it. Like anything else though, it all takes time to learn.