Minimal Audio really fucked up with "Current".... (Bitwig flashbacks).

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Djord Emer, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

That's good news, the synth itself looks pretty dope, will download the trial tomorrow. If I'd had to guess I'd say devs were just out of touch and didn't really think through it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

Personally I think Rift is pretty unique & genuinely useful. Otherwise I agree

What bullshit anti-consumer practices though. Unless you literally know the people who own the company, no company should ever be your "friend" like Minimal Audio claims to be. More often than not the companies who push this narrative are doing it to mask their scumminess.

3. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

Minimal audio make some very good plugins its actually a good company when it comes to talent and making plugins .....but they web protection is crazy that muthfucka calls home like E.T.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  4. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

taking care of customers comes first if it wasn't for customers the company wouldn't be half of what it is now ...so don't get big headed or egotistical about it
    and one of the developers of the company already apologized so deep down he knew better as well
    customers always first he knows it

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

In Audio Software, establishing who your paying customers are comes first. I think as potential customers, we should figure out who deserves our money first. But we also do not "Need" anything just because we are not willing to pay for it. We have so many options for anything you can even think of.

If I was a developer wanting to make money from my products like any other commercial venture, I would never do what this dev is doing. This is what it costs, and your options are pay for it, wait for a crack, or don't use it. The absolute last people I would be listening to about pricing, would be those most complaining about the price. They aren't going to buy it anyway. And the fears of subscription are valid, because you could do a lot of work only to get locked out of it. But the reason so many do not want the subscription model is because they want an Offline Activation method, hoping it will be client-side cracked more easily. A developer should set their price and stand by it, and offer sales however they want. You could make a $1000 plugin, discount it to $50 and a very big number of users would still complain about that and use it as an excuse to use a cracked copy.

"I don't like the copy protection it uses" should be met with " oh, I'm quite sure you don't. that's why we used it." The rest is just beating around the bush.

6. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

Have you ever tried Trash 2? There's a little button to set the waveshaper to bi-directional and you have Rift. You can make your own distortions with Trash. Melda and Blue Cat make similar things as well if you like the modulation options of Rift. Output Thermal and Ohmicide also come to mind.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

I actually bought Rift because the dev posted about it on here, and he said he knew it would get cracked and didn't care. It's a cool plugin, especially the interface; but i barely even use it. It's all about the modulations and to my ear it makes things sound thinner; because when resonance goes up, bass goes down. I think Thermal could be compared to it as an alternative, like you mention. I'd never think to use either as a distortion on a guitar channel. Also, they can both be workflow killers like Synplant here; because they are both very fun to screw around with them and then 15 minutes later you remove the plugin from the track. I like to do Midi FX like enveloper, modulation, arps, and other time related types of effects in a separate plugin instance; instead of putting those modulations inside the Synth plugin. That way, should I decide to use a different synth patch or even an entirely new instrument the "modifier" plugin instance can stay where it is, instead of losing the work along with the sound.

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

the ideas they have behind their plugins are quite good. (but nothing i found myself using.)

Every company is profit orientated, otherwise i wouldnt survive. But i think you shouldnt push your userbase in a certain shitty corner. I always hope the userbase will fight back in some way.

9. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Looks a lot like Phaseplant, which can be had for 99 bucks at least once a year (for a permanent license).

10. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Yeah, I bought my license for $80 a year ago.

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

they thought for sure, it was worth a try. :)

now backpaddling!

12. Deuterium

Deuterium Kapellmeister

the only issue with online web subscriptions in the audio sphere is that they are essentially selling little digital audio toys.
    If you understand that a 3D GUI can sell a plugin, you see they are toys, not tools.

If Minimal Inc. were selling something special in for example: stock trading, medical advancement tools or anything with an actual material use in real life, they could choose how they want to play the game.
    In this case nah, they dont sell anything special or with any real use in a human's life. Stop dreaming above your station and go ahead and copy Xfers purchase options like you did Xfer's wavetable VSTi

13. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

:unsure:
    :deep_facepalm::deep_facepalm::deep_facepalm:

14. Deuterium

Deuterium Kapellmeister

Im not positing that stock trading is a virtuous path to take in life, but it is a real path to making money in today's world.

Musicians barely get paid, but DAW musicians? cmon thats like saying being a youtuber is a viable way to earn profit, shitbrained idea.

15. Dade Murphy

Dade Murphy Newbie

bought the Minimal Audio synth and its fucking sick, juuuust saying. Obliterates serum. Phaseplant slaps still, but man the sound design potential Current has, is off the hook to be entirely honest. Definitely recommend it, if you can get over any pricing issues you may have had. Rent to Own for $10/month is so doable imho.

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

this sort of thing should be accompanied by some audio examples of it.

17. Dade Murphy

Dade Murphy Newbie

https://www.minimal.audio/stream yeah i mean don't get me wrong, serum is a groundbreaking synth with clearly great sound, but yea I'm loving Current. I think if you go to their site you can preview some sounds

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

That's not what I meant. You said it will smoke Serum. What someone can craft up a month in advance is meaningless.

im checking the current presets. they sound good. it's in the falcon/serum ballpark anyway. maybe it is just luck of the draw, but i do not hear many of these working in "happy music". mostly dark like dubstep and dnb. some styles of techno. not that i would mind. How much of these are generated by internal oscillators/ synth engine as compared to wavetables from all over the place? Rompler sounds.

the perpetual license is basically what UVI Falcon costs if you get Falcon on sale for Black Friday. UVI are usually %33 off retail when on sale. maybe i will buy it if the synth features demo ok.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  19. Avinashi

Avinashi Newbie

Current/Minimal Audio is the new kid on the block that rivals Serum and will probably out do it over time.
    Its a do it all sound design beast with
    Amazing sound and capabilities.
    It’s so powerful that you could make years of music in it alone.