Minimal Audio really fucked up with "Current".... (Bitwig flashbacks).

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Djord Emer, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

So many of you may already know but Minimal Audio just released their newest product: "Current". It's a powerful synth with lots of engines, cool warp modes and FX... the thing is, they announced it as a sub only service. No one knew this was coming and the backlash is being intense :

What do you guys think of it? According to the CEO's response it really looks like they think they're Adobe or something and don't really care about all the negative critique at all.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. loveriuz

loveriuz Producer

The end result will probalby be like with Waves Audio...just wait.:guru:

4. uladzislau

uladzislau Producer

already shit their pants

5. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

"If it doesn't inspire you, you can unsubscribe at any time, and your sessions will always continue to work."
    Sure ... :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

It looks like about 5 other synths' functionalities (phaseplant,serum,etc) all jammed together and repackaged with an ok looking GUI. The ironic part about the video, to me; is him telling the "Customer audience" how great some software is; with that nice little modular rig taking up nearly his whole desk. Just in case you wanted to know where your subscription money will be going.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Taking the P.T. Barnum approach. Yes?

8. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Yeah, it's insane, even tho I kinda liked the synth's concept they're really pushing it. Synplant 2 recently brought innovation to the table that could potentially justify a sub way more than Current does but even they decided that this wasn't a good move and are offering a regular one-time purchase.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. clone

clone Audiosexual

I would guess it to work out like UAD Spark or UVI Falcon has. UVI probably was not sold to Imageline because of record profits, and we are starting to see the UAD bundles which make it look like their Profit and Loss Statements aren't the rosiest of pictures either. Personally, I think it is his synth, his company, and his right to decide whatever he wants to do with it. Because the user/customer has that information available to them before they buy/subscribe. That thing that Bitwig did was some BS after-the-fact money grab attempt to weasel out of a product license they sold as including "All updates". Like a bait and switch jack move.

10. KuteAce1307

KuteAce1307 Producer

Even if I don't like it and unsubscribe what if I wanted to edit the sound again, I would just think about replacing the instrument with something else in the end and remember to never do something like subscribing to a synth plugin.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. clone

clone Audiosexual

If you aren't doing commercial/professional work for money from clients, like you mention; you can always just replace that synth on those channels. How many people even have client work where years down the road, they need to be able to still open those projects without any changes? Not many, but even in those situations archived multitrack projects and stems should be available. If it is computer music, remaking the patch/part would *probably end up better sounding anyway, just because of technology improvements; never mind that most people also improve their skills along the way too. Most of the time when someone is in "dire need" of the exact *perfect copy, it is usually Retro Music to blame. Nothing happened with the song in 1980 on the first try, and contrary to peoples' aggrandized memory; nothing has made it get any better between then and now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Platinum Record

Considering the whole Hype cult surrounding Minimal Audio there's no reason for the dev to listen to any critique.
    So desperate to have it or try, subscribe and otherwise wait for a crack, or try to abstain from any curiosity surrounding the hype in the first place.

13. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

They terms a phrases are disgusting.
    His first statement is an attempt to frame the issue as being "the strong reaction to Current's pricing...", when in fact the issue is the pricing.
    Then he uses the term "bummer" as an attempt to make the whole scenario something over which he has no control and that it's just an unfortunate luck thing.

Then he says they are trying to foster a community. OK, you can see where this is going.
    They want a bunch of sheep. No, you are not my friend...you just want to fleece me.

If they mention wanting to build an ecosystem... they want to total control.
    They want you to depend on them for food, clothing, shelter...everything.

Maybe the guy is not as evil as his language makes me feel, and the whole thing is a good deal, but the language .... FUCK...

Ugh...just noticed this on the website:
    " We're Minimal Audio ...Your friends who make plugins"
    Beware those who claim to be your friends without your knowledge, let alone approval.

No. More likely that you are a manipulative asshole who wants to develop an inappropriate relationship.
    Break out the "Anal Lube" and the credit card.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. crackhoar

crackhoar Guest

I dont care what it is, a subscription = instant NO.

(unless its Penthouse, of course)

15. stopped

stopped Producer

glad they're not trying that model with a synth I actually want

16. Deuterium

Deuterium Kapellmeister

i dont want those plugs even if they are subscription free, copy protect free, bare dlls

morph eq looks ok, but id rather automate proq

17. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

..when he said 'current sounds like current' I was thinking 'nope, that sounds like a very very veery bad version of deadmau5 & Kaskade - I Remember intro lol..

18. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

they already had that web auth protection, which had the possibility of giving temp access out. It was only a matter of time that they turn with enough plugins this into a sub only thing.

But still there is the possibility of getting all installers and unlocking them.
    On the other hand, there are still good alternatives to all their plugins, so users can find something else, which works for them, if they dont feel the sub thing.

19. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Thread is about HOW they pushed a supposed "clients AND company" model ... whereas it is "COMPANY ONLY" model.
    The usual "subscription model" pushed out.

YOU will own nothing ... but not US.

[​IMG]551 × 546

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

OK, here is the MA's update/apology in regard to the (failed) Current launch.

Since I don't want to come across as a total ass, I'll allow the possibility that the team behind the project wasn't pure evil. Maybe someone presented them with this economic model, and they were too excited to make money without thinking about the backlash that was bound to happen, or they may have been forced by some venture capital to do it this way...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  21. Deuterium

Deuterium Kapellmeister

i dont want to watch some wankstain make empty, comforting noises about how he failed to launch the world's 18th lame serum ripoff!
    One minute he thinks hes bigger than waves, next minute "we dont know what we are doing actually, whoops sorry guys im gonna waste more hard drive space somewhere uploading a spam apology-vid"

For gods sake save us the public struggle Minimal Audio, you shameless hipsters

whoops! did i just come off like an... "ass"?!:woot:
    Its called having an unwavering opinion on a topic, this one being cloud subs, and also sub-par audio devs fakin it till they hopefully get some VC investment or something.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." -Gordon B Hinckley

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023