Minified and Rollerball versions of Kontakt libraries

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Bunford, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Hi there,

I'm just seeking some advice on these. I have a studio-like desktop where I store full versions of libraries, but these days am finding myself using a laptop more and more.

What are these libraries like for using to create mockups etc? Any pros/cons? In using a laptop, the smaller size obviously makes them more appealing to not have to lug around external hard drives etc along with the laptop.

Do they work the same as the main libraries (though I assume how lower bit rate samples, edited tails of samples, limited mic positions and so on)?

Any advice before I look to grab from the sister site would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers in advance :wink:

3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Anyone?

4. rudolph

rudolph Rock Star

My best advice is try for yourself. What works for someone may not work for you.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  5. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Well it is the same library, but just with the main most useful mic position instead of a bazillion of them :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. rollerball

rollerball Platinum Record

Best Answer
    Hey there!

There's a slight difference to both the series of modified libraries. The "rollerball's Lite Version" (rLV) libraries are made by me, whereas the "Minified" versions are made by @embryo.

In the rLV libraries, my main goal is to reduce the size of the libraries by removing the "unnecessary" mic positions and by bit-depth reduction. Barring a few cases, most of the time I like to keep the Close and the Decca/Tree/Stage mics, as I believe they give you the intended sound of the library with the proper positioning of instruments, and can be mixed to taste for a variety of possibilities. I tend to remove the Room/Ambient/Reverb mics, as more often than not, they can easily be replaced by a competent reverb plugin. I also like to remove the default Mix if present, as in most cases it's easy to dial something similar from the included mics, and many a times it's just not what I'm looking for and is hard to make it fit in my context.

I also reduce the bit-depth from 24-bit to 16-bit, as to my ears there's not really a difference between the two, and the space savings are huge for 16-bit files. There is a dither applied during the bit-depth conversion process. Of course, this does bring up the noise floor ever so slightly, but it hasn't been an issue even with lots of simultaneous notes. In most cases, a null test results in a noise floor of -85dB.

Other than the above, I try to keep everything in the library intact. I don't remove any articulations, no matter how sparingly they might be used, because it's better to have them when needed than not. Also, I don't cut the tails of the samples to save on space. After all that is done, I repack the samples into NKX containers, and try to maintain the minimum supported KONTAKT version while resaving the patches.

On the other hand, "Minified" versions are very similar, but they are more suited to their author's usage. They mostly feature the Close mics only, and also contain the articulations necessary for the use of their author. To the best of my knowledge, the rest of the things are also done by him in a similar way

Hope it was enough to make you decide on whether or not you want these alternate libraries, and which one of these would be more to your liking. If you have any questions about any of my releases, let me know! :wink:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is perfect and the info I was looking for. In that case, I will give them a go and the drive space saving is huge, and hopefully won't realise too much difference when using a laptop for mockups (before being transposed onto my main desktop where the full libraries can replace them if necessary.

Huge thanks to both of you for this! Much appreciated!

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Means you got your Best Answer? :winker: