Migrating OSX from HDD to SSD

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Mostwest, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

hi, i've just bought a 250 GB Samsung SSD with a good price. I'm actually running a dual Boot machine. 2 partitions, NTFS (800 GB) for Win7 Ice and HFS+ (200 GB) for Yosemite 10.10.1

I would like to migrating my 200 GB OSX partition (1:1 will be perfect) to the 250 GB SSD and then maybe correct the boot configuration if something goes wrong.

The reason is that i don't care about Windows Installation wich is very easy and take me 15 minutes to get everything ready but i really don't like doing the OSX installation all over again since now the system is 99% calibrated and working.

So the main question is: Is it possible to copy the partition to the SSD and the correct the boot or is not possible and i need to re-install OSX directly on the SSD?

Thanks in advance.

3. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Best Answer
    If you have your Mac OS on a HDD already, just clone it (by Carbon Copy Cloner or some similar application) to the SSD. That is MUCH faster than fresh-installing everything, and if something goes wrong with OSX on SSD, you'll have a back-up of it. It's advisable to keep an updated back-up of your system drive, in any case.

Be sure of whether Windows "wants to" be installed before OSX. If it does, install that first, then put OSX on the other partition. Be aware that once a partition has OS 10.10 on it, it cannot be resized by Disk Utility - it's fixed at that size. (That was introduced with 10.10. I have Mountain Lion installed on another partition, and I can only erase/re-partition the drive while booted from it.) This is yet another reason to be sure of the order in which to install the Windows partition.

4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Or, if you have backup to a Time Machine, install OSX to your new drive with restore from Time Machine option.

5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

superduper or ccc lets you clone you drive easily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Thanks guys really nice solutions here. I'll definetly look into Carbon Copy Cloner or Time Machine to get the work done.

7. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

8. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

9. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Carbon Copy Cloner FTW ! (if you ask me).
    Great Clone program, never failed on me.
    Good luck !

10. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Np, hope your data will travel safely to new "home":wink:

11. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I used Super Duper for years, one reason I changed to CCC though was that (at least at the time) CCC ALSO copies or creates the OSX restore partition (added to OSX ~10.7), which Super Duper didn't. I have experienced no problems with either, migrating from HDD to HDD or SSD over the years, and the only thing I have to do when moving to a new system is reauthorize some software that is tied to machine identifiers (such as ethernet card or something like NI etc).... but works great!

12. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Thanks i don't have too much plugins under OSX, but i'll definetly check every plugin after the migration if i need to reactive one of them.

13. SonicBoomer

SonicBoomer Producer

CCC is full featured and rock solid.
    I've used it on a ton of HD to SSD migrations, flawlessly.

14. JST

JST Ultrasonic

I Suggest Time Machine. Apple got it right.

15. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

OK, as you guys suggested i used Carbon Copy Cleaner. I got my SSD today, moved some files from HDD in order to be as empy as possible.
    Did and everything went fine.
    Tried Blackmagic benchmark on the new SSD partitioned as HFS+ journaled and i got 255 for R/W so i checked again and i notice that connected the SSD to the wrong sata port (SATA II) so reconnected again (to SATA III this time) and runned bench again and got more than 500 MB/s for Write and around 450 MB/s for read wich is way more that i needed (my HDD performs only 70 MB/s for R/W).

So now i'm happy. Thanks for the suggest everybody. I'm going to enable TRIM and that's it.