Migrate from Ableton Live to Cubase

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by petepx, Jun 28, 2017.

1. petepx

petepx Kapellmeister

Long time ago, I was using Cubase (Atari period), and I liked this software. Many years after (around 2001), I discovered SF Acid, and I was glad to discover its timestretch workflow. Few years after, I finally went for Ableton Live.

Today, I would like to go back to Cubase (for few reasons: Audio engine robustness, vst3 integration, hardware integration, UX philosophy...), but I would like to know if there's a way (can't find the information) to get this automatic/easy 'timestretch workflow' with audio loops (like in Acid and Live).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

3. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

All the major DAWs have easy workflow with stretching, if you actually learn them.

4. petepx

petepx Kapellmeister

I believe you, but I would enjoy to get an explanation about the easiness of this type of workflow in Cubase, or even better see some documentation or watch a video that showcases it.

5. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

YouTube search "how to timestretch in cubase" there are several videos on this topic.

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Simple as 1-2-3: choose timestretch tool, resize loop to grid, done.

7. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

watch this to get an Idea:

8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

@petepx: Just curious - what audio engine robustness and hardware integration issues did you have in Ableton?

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Doesn't Ableton Live still have plugin latency compensation issues?

Cubase user here. You can use loops and stuff in musical mode (auto-stretch to BPM). If not just timestretch with the selection tool (key command 1).
    I'm sure it's as simple in Ableton Live though.

10. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i have no problem with plugin delay/latency compensation in Live nowadays. it used to be pretty bad tho.
    altho if someone insisted cubase's PDC was more reliable still, i wouldn't doubt them

11. petepx

petepx Kapellmeister

Thank you so much guys for your lights. So, it seems Cubase did a big step forward for working with audio loops...
    About my planned migration: I got latency issues, and I cannot fully midi remote control with my 01V96i (no motorization feedback and no mute messages). Cubase got a strong reputation with: Its audio engine, UX designed for studio recording, and has 01V96i integration. Maybe its just the hype... I plan to get a demo, but if I'm right I need to get an usb e-licenser last generation (got an old ilok for EastWest libs)?
    Btw, I wonder as well if one of the both is handling better multicore architecture.
    Last but not least, I wonder if other competitors could do the job better.
    As you can guess, I'm back to music after a very long break.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  12. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Producer

Yes you need to get a Steinberg e-licenser to test the demo, you can't use an ilok stick that's for protools etc.
    Don't think you can go wrong with cubase. It's the rolls royce of DAW's in my opinion, if I could afford it I'd use it. Try to get the EDU version, this is alot cheaper.

13. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

I've also use it after AL/Bitwig, and got massive head scratching about how to create/use AL/Bitwig like instrument rack solution (for layering/splitting, multi-instrument automation/modulation so all the lovely things in AL) in it, my candidate is MUX >

IMO it's very-very close to AL, and makes my life much easier, so share it

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  14. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

part2 modulation

15. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

bit offtopic but quite useful , posted to the official Cubase channel last week

16. DK

DK Member

Does anybody have nuendo 7?