MiGiC Converts Your Guitar to MIDI

Discussion in 'Software News' started by webhead, Jul 19, 2015.

1. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

No need to be a keyboardist to record midi. MiGiC is a guitar to MIDI conversion application for Mac and PC in VST and Audio Units and allows you to work either in stand alone or within your DAW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncQ63vKCzjU

Right now it is in beta so you can download it for free and try it yourself.

http://www.bituosity.com/

3. Pereira

Pereira Producer

Thanks for the info. Seems something already seen, and something already heard....NO LATENCY :dunno:
    Let's try it, if it's true this guy has solved a twenty years long issue, not completely removed even using hardware....

4. clem

clem Member

Guitar to MIDI has been around for a long time, sometimes with expensive hardware but all have failed when polyphony was attempted. Couldn't help but notice he only played monophonic lead lines and no chords (not even 2 note ones) so I'm not sure there has been any advancement in the technology.

5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

From the website

"I am currently developing Beta 5 which will add the Midi FX panel. In this panel you will be able to: chose a custom midi port that the data will be delivered to, transposing the notes, changing range of the pitch bend, adding chords and a very special extra feature… I will make an announcement here when the beta is available. I hope you will find the tutorials helpful, thank you."

6. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

This is again, very far from perfect or usable... pity :sad:

thanks for the info anyway :wink:

the day will come sooner or later *yes*

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yeah, I can't get it to stay on one note while picking at an even velocity.

8. DanteUruzu

DanteUruzu Kapellmeister

Now we have two guitar to midi programs! There's this and there's Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar which is in beta for version 2. It's always nice to have options. I hope this one isn't as expensive as Jam Origin's program ($100) although the upgrade to version 2.0 is free when it releases.

9. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

not worth 100$...
    It is worth just a big moral support for the developer, but it ain`t worth no money IMHO

@to the developer:
    I promise to buy a copy of Your software for 100 $ when You get it to work as it is supposed to :mates:
    (and I`ll spread the word too)

10. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

The only way to stay away from latency is using NECK detection, not strings.
    And it was already created in the mid 80's. It is called Syntaxe :wink:

Try to play fast like this on anything else than NECK detection. Even the best hexaphonic solution will fail on low notes.

There is a simple math behind this failure :
    Low E is 82 Hz, witch mean a SINGLE cycle will last 12 ms. So even the best detection with a single cycle will give you more than 12ms latency. Add MIDI and audio rendering...you are at 20 ms. And i don't think any solution will work with a single cycle...so you end up with 30/40ms latency with the best solution on lowest notes. I don't even speak about downtuning :rofl:

With Syntaxe, you are near 10ms, even with the lowest note. And tuning is pointless, because note height is detected by fretboard, not strings. You can tune, translaste, change strings...whatever. You choose your tuning on neck with a click :wink:

PS : i don't even speak about detecting chords on monophonic source (like mono guitar output). They failed miserably for years and years.
    PPS : a nice article
    MIDI Guitars

PPPS : Forgot Fishman TriplePlay, very low latency/mis trigerring. The best solution, along Yourock guitar II

11. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

@ Pipotron3000:
    can You link a few more articles concerning midi + guitars please ?

Thanks for the above one :wink:

12. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

ok, So.. question.. what if 1. U don't know how to play guitar.. and 2. Don't actually own.. a guitar?

Is there ANY way I can use this? :dunno:

Good Lord.. i think its bedtime.. :rofl: