MidSide for necessity. Your suggestions

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Swg Itsyo, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Swg Itsyo

Swg Itsyo Member

Hi audiosexual friend, due to demands of time and place I will have to mix an ep with a studio monitor only. It is not a big deal for me, as I know it very well and the mono has always come out great using it on its own!

Let's cut to the chase, I will only have one day to listen in stereo to a 4 track EP that I have to deliver. Considering that I will arrive at the last day with a consistent mid (or mono, which I believe to be the same thing?) between tracks, what suggestions would you adopt to make the pieces as consistent as possible once in stereo (and then when adding the side channel as well) ?

Thank you very much for the suggestions ! :mates:

3. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

mid - mono is not exactely the same thing/concept, well it is but it isnt : ) cant write better in a few words here, just study the thing when you have time

now you have to manage this thing of "mixing in mono" or better "mixing using one monitor" which is a very hard sport lol nowadays there are a very few consumers that listen in mono even on cheap phones. Anyhow doesnt matter. From what I read you should do 1 thing first of all, I know it's very basic but better start from scratch.

You will have to connect to the (one) studio monitor both LR signals coming from your computer/audio card (I assume you mix ITB)

thats a very important first step, then during mixing you will try to check L channel only and R channel only, but mostly you will be monitoring the L+R summing in mono

hope the tracks are EDM oriented lol because if it is a live orchestra or something it will be hard :headbang:

4. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

Mixing in mono is good and i do it all the time (in fact, 70% of my mixing is made on mono and on Auratones). This helps me to see the song verticaly, and enables me to think frequency-wise, kinda of a vertical style of view. But if you're using only ONE speaker... I'd do what @patatern said, when you turn it to stereo, check the L and R independently. Or use headphones to fine tune the stereo field, which seems easier than the first approach.