Midi Velocity control in Kontakt

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Breakz, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Breakz

Breakz Newbie

Hi

I have searched the Manual, but I can't seem to find any information on controlling the velocity of a Kontakt Synth using the velocity on my Midi notes.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm getting a single volume for every note I play at the moment, and altering the Midi volume has no effect on it's velocity!

Thx in advance!

3. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

It depends on your Kontakt library. A lot of instruments don't have multiple velocity settings or articulations. So if your not getting a difference then it probably doesn't. You can check if you hit the config/edit button for the Kontakt module. It'll show the mapping of the samples and if you see 2+ boxes stacked on each other in the sample mapping then it does have velocity support.

But yeah normally for "good" library's velocity controls a lot and by default is on.

4. Breakz

Breakz Newbie

Thx for the reply. I will have a look at those options.

I find it strange that not all Synths, especially NI Kontakt would not give you volume control by Midi for all instruments, but saying that NI Massive is the same I guess by default!!

Thx again!! off to the workshop!! :break:

5. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

[​IMG]

This is what I was talking about

6. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

The reason changing the midi volume has no effect on its velocity is that they are two completely different things.
    Volume is cc7.
    Note Velocity is defined within the Note On event.

Xoso is correct on how to do it, i just wanted to clear up why midi volume would'nt be affecting it.

7. Evil_Burrito

Evil_Burrito Newbie

This may or may no be helpful. If you are trying to modify the played incoming velocities Ableton has some useful built in FX for that.

8. Breakz

Breakz Newbie

Thx everyone for the input. This clears up some questions I had.

I couldn't find anything on the subject in MacProVideo 105 Exploring Kontakt video either. Is this the best Kontakt video out there?

Can anyone recommend another?

Thx again! Much appreciated Guys for the input! :mates: :wink: :break:

9. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

Groove 3 Kontakt explained. Best Kontakt tutorial out there. Teaches you more than you need to know until you realize you need to know it. I suggest you watch it several times through. It got me from kontakt noob, to completely gutting and customizing libraries so. Defiantly worth it.