Midi static

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by FellIVTheFake, Feb 21, 2013.

1. FellIVTheFake

FellIVTheFake Noisemaker

Recently ive been having alot of problems pop outta no where, one being midi static when im moving midi or editing midi or playing back midi,, its starts to build static..i have no idea why this starting happening :( also im getting random latency when i record guitar one day it will be dead on perfect next its off..help :(

Gateway DX 4860
    i5 2320 cpu 3.00GHz
    8gb RAM
    Windows 7 HP 64 bit

M-audio fasttrack ASIO interface
    DAW: LIVE

in/out sample rate 48000
    buffer size 256 samples
    DRC : -300.00

3. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

The static is the audio interface being on too low a latency for the system to handle generally.
    Time for a reinstall/re-image of your os/daw drive.

Yes, performance can change over time as the system gets more crap loaded onto it, what is best practice is to clean install the os drive and all the programs you are going to use, set everything up, then image the drive.
    That way when shit like this happens , all u need to do is spend 10 minutes re-imaging the drive back to fresh and away you go.

The only other possibility is the audio interface has become faulty, and that theory is easily tested by swapping it out with a unit known to be working 100%

4. anton

anton Newbie

Could be anything, hardware malfunction or just a a faulty driver...
    Have you tried to increase I/O buffer size? a buffer size lower than 256 samples is unnecessary.
    Last option could be to format the drive and reintstall everything from scratch :wow:
    hope you solve it

5. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Yes MIDI Static is a problem for some, luckily there is a solution, stop wearing nylon stockings.​

6. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

I belive that the title is wrong, never see midi static in 30 years using midi. Probably is the audio interface. M-audio interfaces are very bad, especially the firewire ones. In the past (great lord) I used them and needed to do a lo of resets for a temporary solution. It was very bad to work with client or when we have short periods to do something, ever seeing a movie I had to reset. I tested and search in the foruns of all the companys, no one is happy like rme owners.
    Rock as it can be are the RME interfaces, everybody use the same audio fireware chip, only rme had this own. I am very happy with fireface ufx, it never crash. There a lot of cheap pci cards on ebay. With this one you will never crash again, especially if you are on hackitosh, LOL.

7. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

yeah, no such thing as midi static. Hardware issues 100%

8. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Technically there is no "midi static" but we all know what he is talking about.
    The static is a misbehaving audio device as a result of triggering an audio source with midi data as he said.

9. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

Yeah, I'd say most likely he has a bad cable or the shielding in a cable is bad and too close to a wire that runs power that is adding it through the line. Find out what cable is the problem and replace or simply move the wires that transfer your audio away from any wires that are used for power and see if it helps.

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Well, well. "Midi static". I lolled. Could possibly be an upcoming track title.

Update current audio interface drivers.

11. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

M-audio fasttrack ASIO interface <---- ur problem.

Update ur Audio Card.

12. FellIVTheFake

FellIVTheFake Noisemaker

Thanks everyone, and im sorry for the title haha im kinda new to the whole producer thing, i didnt know how else to describe it, would switching to a Tascam us-122mkII be a good hop? i have one laying around. if not im willing to buy a whole new interface, any specific ones more compatible with LIVE?

13. GangamStyle

GangamStyle Ultrasonic

Sure, try it instead!

14. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Ur not going to get very far with any of the cheap 100$ interfaces..

I'd suggest upgrading. :grooves: