MIDI Question: CC to Note

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Lambchop, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Trying to map a CC message to a note (e.g. "CC16 -> C4 note_on," or "press this button -> C4 plays"); Google isn't being a friend (top results are Kontakt scripts, followed by abandoned beta VSTs). Seems like it should be simple, but I'm stumped. Halp!

3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Have you tried pressing C4 on the keyboard?

4. Cudo

Cudo Kapellmeister

5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I'm curious too. What exactly would CC15 and CC17 do? Most MIDI keyboards let you switch the control for their pads between Program Change and Note messages (at least my MPK does).

Note and Program Messages are on/off.
    A CC message has 128 values. Theoretically you could use 0-63 for off, 64-127 for on.

pizmidi has utilities that let you do this kind of thing but if I'm understanding you right, they give you the opposite of what you'd need.

6. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Careful! 3, 9, 14, 15 and 20-31 are "undefined". That means they may be free now, but could have a defined purpose in later revisions. Only 16-19 are "general purpose".

For on/off switches, 80-83 are used (midi cc description: Generic On/Off Switch), and exactly as you proposed (0-63 off, 64-127 on)

@Lambchop if you're using Reaper you could write a JSFX script. You could use one of the existing midi scripts and work your way through. I could probably write a VST with Flowstone, that maps CC to note on/off, but it would be a huge overhead (a 2+ MB plugin for just the mapping)

7. Hamudi2000

Hamudi2000 Ultrasonic

If u use Cubase just use Realtime transform

8. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Forget about those for now, let's deal with CC16 (which I'd like to trigger a note).
    I'm interested in what happens inside Fruity Loops, my DUH of choice: mapping any_controller, e.g. internal controllers, to any_message. Triggering a kick sample when a kick (in an audio track) hits is a begging example.
    Right. I want BFh (circled, blue tint) to be 80h (also circled, pink tint). Something like this: if (status_bite == BF & first_data_bite == CC16) then status_bite = 80h. What could be simpler? :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  9. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

10. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

11. saltwater

saltwater Guest

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Thanks @jayxflash & @saltwater, will ~~try to source those~~ check those out.

Edit: Looks like MidiTranslatorClassic is a freebie, and combined with the stuff I have = all i need. Thanks again.

Edit2: Lol disregard, .EXE, not a VST :(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  13. saltwater

saltwater Guest

ofc not a vst, it translates midi messages

14. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

You should educate this guy http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi; he should stop wasting time on the impossible.

VSTs get, interpret, and send MIDI messages. Without being [stand-alone] executables. That's what makes them useful :)

15. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Au contraire, some people need standalone for live playing. There are situations when a DAW is not an option because of the latency but a standalone midi processor between keyboard and a standalone (or more) synth(s) have 0 latency.

Also you always can output from daw to a midi processor via midi bus and bring that midi signal back into your daw.

These being said, I think if you will properly expose what you are trying to achieve, the FL users out here could give you a solution way more easier than mapping note number to CCs.

16. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Triggering your MIDI directly from audio would be simpler, yeah? aptrigga3 like suggested or http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=AudioToCC for free. It looks like it was made with Ctrlr (you can print custom VSTs) so you could probably use that to make your own to do exactly what you need. I've used it create simple VSTs that allow Maschine to do things it wasn't designed to but I don't use FL so I can't really speak towards that.

17. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Why impossible?
    This guy knows what he's doing.
    Have you actually tried his midiConverter3 and midiTriggerList plugins?

18. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Sarcasm rarely works on the internet.

19. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

But that's my point: it's AudioToCC, not Audio to Note. Fruity has a native Volume=>CC plugin, just need to turn that CC=>note. His midiConverter3 does pretty much what I'm looking for (testing it to see what it does), but agree, pretty kludgy.
    Will check that out, thanks. I'm pretty sure the solution is really simple & when it dawns on me I'll feel like an idiot, but til that happy day...

20. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

From the description of KTDrumTrigger:
    "It works like this: incoming (mono) audio is split up into different frequency bands using three tweakable filters. The signal in each of these bands is sent through an envelope follower. When the envelope reaches a specified threshold level, a MIDI note on message is generated. The trigger module has some built-in hysteresis and minimum inter onset time settings to avoid fast successive triggers due to noise on the envelope curves. Visual feedback of the filter and trigger settings is available..."
    Maybe that's helpful (although the GUI is frightening)?
    http://koen.smartelectronix.com/KTDrumTrigger/

21. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Thanks, will check it out.
    Dude's been to some universities. Clearly. :)
    Frightening? Bah! Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair! Unapologetically hideous, inside & out. (Warning: turn down volume before clicking, clipping & annoyingly loud).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017