Midi Problems with Yamaha DX7, Tascam US1641, and Ableton Live Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by beninbb, Apr 1, 2012.

1. beninbb

beninbb Newbie

So i recently bought a DX7, the sound banks have been erased so i want to send the original sounds back to the keyboard, i would also like to use it as my primary midi keyboard to control midi inside of live.

I have the DX7 midi plugged into my Tascam 1641 and then usb'd to my PC. When i go into preferences and midi, i can't find the DX7 anywhere! whats going on? Does anyone else own a dx7 and can help me set it up?
    Thanks

3. Groover McToober

Groover McToober Newbie

On the original DX7 models, you can only send MIDI on MIDI channel 1.That might be causing a few of your problems.

4. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

Ok, just the basics so we know where you are at.
    You know it won't show up as "DX7" just because you connected it via midi right?
    It will be addressed probably as something like "tascam midi out" or the likes, until you setup an instrument definition for it in your software.

This page shows what you need to do to receive/send presets on a dx7
    http://www.chipple.net/dx7/english/midi.html

5. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

Okay let me help you out.

1.install midiox
    Run it chose your midi in and out
    then on the menu click the sysex editor, now be very carefull do a manual dump of what ever is on the rom memory. This is to back up all your patches on there and save them onto your pc. I don use ableton but like any other daw ...preferences midi i and out, some daws you have to clck the tracks "monitoring" button in order to hear the vsti, also make in audio preferences you use aASIo

6. danfuerth

danfuerth Kapellmeister

By the way to send patches to your dx7 you will have no choice but to use midiox in sysex format using the sysex editor, i use midiox on all my guitar fx gear t backup and send back patches they use sysex like other midi synths. However when you do a manual dump you need to know how to send it from the unit you will need the instructions from the original synth. You can send ni fm7 sysex to your dx7, you bastard i should be having that dx here!!!!!!! LOL

7. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Let us know how how this works out. I have had problems with my Tascam US-800 as a MIDI interface, and I have looked at other forums and it seems this is not unique. It seems to work OK as an audio interface. I ended up just using the Tascam as an audio interface and use a cheap M-audio for MIDI. With ASIO4all I can tweak it down to less latency anyway.

8. beninbb

beninbb Newbie

Thanks for all of the replies guys, so here's where i'm at. I have the DX7 hooked up and the midi is set to channel 1 and still no dice. I fear it has to do with my tascam interface, because when i unplug all of my other controller except for the dx7 into the tascam i get no option at all to set it or anything as a midi device. I even have midiox installed and it doesn't recognize my tascam 1641 midi either. Shit, anyone with advice?

9. theBadger

theBadger Newbie

You could buy a cheap usb->midi interface.

tB.