Midi parameter\editor tool?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Don Emerson, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Don Emerson

Don Emerson Noisemaker

Does anyone know of a VST or specific DAW device that can edit midi clips by setting different parameters and applying them to the clip?

I am looking for something where I can, for example, select 100 midi notes and choose to have 50% of the clip’s notes deleted on random. Or select a midi clip and click “randomize velocity” or “extend notes by 40%”.

I am not talking about midi effects to use when recording. I am talking specifically something that is used to edit already recorded midi clips.

The “Tool Window” from Reason is the closest I have found so far and it’s useful to a degree, but doesn’t have all the features I’m looking for. The midivolve Max4Live device has pretty much all the features I am looking for, but it is more designed to perform and play midi clips and not edit them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

the old cakewalk program had lots of midi tools for doing those kinds of things. i haven't looked at it since bandcamp bought them out, but i would think that the tools must be still available.

4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

This Selection Filter M4L device can help in selecting midi notes in clips to edit.
    This one works differently.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Cubase Logical Editor.

6. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I agree with, and like, all three suggestions above.
    BUT the problem with them is that they commit you installing something large to get you what you want unless you're already an Ableton user, or Cubase user, etc.

So what else is there that's quick, simple, small, etc?
    For the specific tasks that @Don Emerson has described, I will be genuinely intrigued and delighted to to see if there's any solution available that is better than what I describe below. Someone please tell me what is modern and better.

I do stuff like @Don described above using Logic, and Logic makes it very, very easy to do.
    But before anyone jumps up and down saying...
    "Logic only runs a Mac, and that's a large install, so that's only good for existing Logic users, etc"...

I'm talking about ancient Logic 5 Platinum that I run on PCs (it's very tiny and still brilliant)
    and I'm running it (perfectly) on these platforms...
    - 10 year old netbooks that have 1GB of RAM and use Windows XP (these are now dedicated midi boxes)
    - Dedicated music workstations (that all use Windows 7 for obvious sane practice)
    - An 8" tablet that runs Windows 8 (just for ultra portable use)
    - My silly toytime domestic PCs that run Windows 10 (because why not)

The Logic 5 that I use is 17 years old, so throw it away right? cos it ain't modern! Well, yeah ok, and ask a violinist to throw away a Stradivarius cos it's 300 years old or a guitarist to throw away a Stratocaster cos it's 65 years old.

You can install antique Logic 5 on your PC and then use it to do almost any amount of customised midi transformation tricks.
    Of course it's a whopper program to install - a whole 25 Megabytes! :winker:
    and that tiny 25MB gives you an endlessly customisable DAW with 4 different midi editors (including piano roll, score editor, event list, and even a hypereditor that you can use to build dedicated drum sequencers, etc, etc) and, last but not least, superb midi transformation tools.

Of course antique Logic 5 won't replace a modern DAW, so no-one needs to persuade me of that,
    but Logic 5 Platinum definitely ain't broken in 2020 and it's now a lot smaller than many modern VSTs.
    I think of it like this...
    - I do need a modern word processor but sometimes I prefer a really fast, lightweight, but clever text editor.
    - I do need a modern DAW but sometimes I prefer a really fast, lightweight, but clever Logic 5.

====

p.s.
    Question..how would I actually do what @Don asked for...
    "select 100 midi notes and choose to have 50% of the clip’s notes deleted on random"

Answer: Select the set of notes, ask Logic's transformer to randomly reassign the midi channels for each note, restrict the randomising to just two channels (for 50%) then select all the notes that match one of the midi channels and delete them, or maybe just mute them while experimenting. Very quick, and very simple to do.

7. Don Emerson

Don Emerson Noisemaker

Would be great to try Logic 5 on my PC, but is there any way to get that software these days?

8. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

"emagic logic" sister site

9. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

Sorry about being off topic here, but since you're a user of emagic logic, what do you tell me about its notation editor? Does it work better than Reaper's (is it very limited)?