Midi Manipulation: Generators, Samplers and Songwriting tools.

Discussion in 'Software' started by justsomerandomdude, Nov 15, 2021.

1. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

I use Cthulhu all the time to create ideas ... mostly chord progressions and pad like stuff.
    I really love it. It's not that I'm too lazy to write my own chord progressions. But hey, I'm not what you call a pianist. Cthulhu gives me the possibility to play complex chords and doing it in keys, which I'm not so used too, even on my main instrument, the guitar. Speaking so, Cthulhu is really expanding my musical horizon. Also the outcome is a really good starting point for further midi mangling.

2. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The software update path of Scaler has been quite impressive.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  3. bigguy1

bigguy1 Member

In Reason there are a lot of midi generating or manipulating devices. And they are really good.
    • Some come with Reason like Scales&Chords, Note Echo, Dual Arpeggiator
    • Some can be bought or come with Reason+ like Bassline Generator, Pattern Mutator, Polystep Sequencer or Quad Note Generator
    • Others can be bought in the Reason shop from 3rd party developers like Evolution, Aggregate, Delta Midi Computer (!), Inspiral, MeloDramatik, Sequences and Euclidean Rhythms
    There are a lot more and they are really fun. Best thing about them is, that they can be combined. For example you can have a line of notes generated by Bassline Generator, generate chords out of that with Scales&Chords and last put a Dual Arpeggiator behind them and you got a nice Arpeggio. It's so much fun to play with these players :)

4. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Rock Star

Yeah i thought so too, but if there is a feature to lock in the notes into a progression like scale lock eg. if u have C min i-IV-v-iv progression with 4/4 after every 4 beats the notes sticks to the next chord and it loops..
    Just my thought. its great just as is, but if thats possible ll be amazing.

5. mhacko

mhacko Member

Reason rack can host Polystep Sequencer
    but it's not in the R2R edition .... if I bought it would I work with
    R2R .... who knows ..... otherwise great for live accompaniment???????

6. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Go Scaler Go! :wink: Quite funny really. :rofl:

If Scaler manages to implement that amazingly innovative modern feature then it will have finally (almost) caught up with Style files from the 1990's implemented by Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Ketron, and others, and even available in Yamaha XGWorks Sequencer which actually ran on Windows 95 - and still works today!
    Stop press - I think some smart teenager working at Meta has just invented denim jeans.:winker:

BTW - I really do think Scaler is excellent :wink:

7. justsomerandomdude

I dont know if u dindnt get what i said or simply being sarcastic. Anyway wat i meant was if u have a progression with a chord that is not in a scale lets say u r making a song in D Maj and it has a chord from d min, so making scaler to stick to those chords making the notes transpose relatively to those chords will be of greater advantage. I simply dont know where to being or where to end, but if u get the point

8. justsomerandomdude

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. justsomerandomdude

10. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

I recently bought SunDog from Feelyoursound, and its great, it can make melodies, bass, chords... im not a big fan of the GUI but i ican say its really useful when u start to handle it, and have a song sequencer so, it have all in a box lets say...The virtual wire conecction i never experiencied till now.. and it doesnt bother me,, in the begginig maybe was annoying cause never did it. but now i get used to it and im really impressive for a one man coding app. i insist i wish someday the GUI make a better evolution cause i really like the flow it gives me cause im more melody composer guy than harmonizing chords ... im a newbiee in that zone, no way to add a bass down the chord sequence xdd.
    Scaler its awsm of course, it talks for itself... but there too i find the "rythm" patterns/modulation on perfomance, too weird... i dont like that.. or maybe i cant squeeze the juice from that.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. BlackWinny

BlackWinny Platinum Record

Nothing to add to your excellent review, audiofannn.

Myself I mainly use RapidComposer (pro edition), and sometimes (when I'm in nomade mode with a very small laptop) Sundog, InstaScaler and InstaComposer. Composing also little new age pieces of piano I also keep on using my very old Sibelius. But even for that, I tend to use now RapidComposer again, and I'll probably drop Sibelius in the next years.

13. justsomerandomdude

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

Harmony Bloom is an innovative MIDI generator that merges polyrhythmic patterns with visually engaging interfaces. Designed for both Windows and MacOS, it supports VST3, AU formats and Standalone. This versatile tool enhances musical creativity by allowing MIDI data transmission to any compatible device. It features an array of controls, including a main panel with extensive functionalities like preset selection, rhythm and scale adjustment, and visual sequencing. The software also boasts MIDI Learn capabilities for intricate control mapping, an advanced preset management system with search and sorting options, and the ability to save and share presets externally. Harmony Bloom transforms musical experiences with its blend of technical prowess and immersive visuals, offering a unique platform for musical exploration and innovation.
    https://marionietoworld.com/index.php/producto/harmony-bloom-copy/

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • List
  15. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

The ones I currently use in Cubase:

ARP:
    BLEASS.Arpeggiator
    BlueARP
    Xfer Cthulhu

GEN
    Audiomodern Riffer
    Pitch.Innovations.Groove.Shaper

SEQ:
    510k.Seqund <-- Amazing
    Devicemeister_StepicVST <-- like 510k/Hy
    HY RPE2
    HY SEQCOLLECTION2
    Sugar.Bytes.Obscurium <-- Can load vst

OTHERS:
    ATLAS ALGONAUT <-- You can use it as an external sequencer and create random patterns and variations.

Not tested yet:
    BASQ.Audio.Grooveliner

16. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

17. tornado

tornado Newbie

friends is there any software that forces midi patterns to chords I use captain plugin and ezkeys captain plugin has a very slow interface for this subject ezkeys translates midi patterns incorrectly

18. run2thesun

run2thesun Newbie

Pro Tools update includes
    3rd-Party MIDI Plug-ins Avid is also pleased to provide the following MIDI plug-ins created by third-party development partners. These are installed with Pro Tools: • Audiomodern Riffer 3 • Modalics EON-Arp • Pitch Innovations Groove Shaper Lite

19. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

I'm a bit late to the party that started 3 years ago...but stumbling on it, I see nobody mentioned auto-arrangers/orchestrators, based on MIDI...
    You named those old good STYLES...
    and what about such a software as Jammer Pro or Varranger2 (there are a lot of others too of this kind)...
    Exactly these 2, I mentioned, can read and play those STYLES.
    Guys, are there those, 1.who worked with STYLES,
    2.are there orhcestral/cinematic among them?

• List
  20. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

I found 1 more soft to add to arrangers above:
    One Man Band 12
    "One Man Band is the software version of the digital music instruments known as arranger keyboards, home keyboards and workstations. It creates auto-accompaniment based on the played chords and it adds auto-harmony to the played melody. Chords and melody can be played in realtime in the Live Window, with or without a connected MIDI keyboard controller or pre-entered in the Sequencer Window. It utilises standard style files compatible with the styles used in Yamaha PSR, DGX and Tyros arranger keyboards. There are thousands of these styles available on internet and the included style editor can be used to tweak existing and create new styles"
    https://www.1manband.nl/omb/index.htm

• List