Midi Manipulation: Generators, Samplers and Songwriting tools.

Discussion in 'Software' started by justsomerandomdude, Nov 15, 2021.

1. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Platinum Record

Just a fantastic job @audiofannn this is going to be useful to lot more people. Describing each thing really appreciate it dude.
    I use Scaler it really is a useful tool in terms of selecting scaler and playing with Random midi, i have/own RC after trying it from sistersite last year thats basically the last plugin i bought, use it mainly for inversions. You can just move the pharses up and down.. that easy..:)

2. curtified

curtified Rock Star

I really like EZkeys. You can use other midi files to play your chord progression. Pretty powerful.

The browser is the best thing I can find for exploring midi files next to loopcloud. Im still looking for something that will instantly transpose midi files in realtime while I browse through my midi packs..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. audiofannn

audiofannn Member

Appreciate the kind words. People have been so helpful to me over the years, I can't help but pay it forward, wherever I can.

There are other midi-generator tools but I think those are by far the most well-known. There's one I'm forgetting that has like a pretty-color interface with shapes... it gets laughed at a lot, but I think it yields decent results. I forget its name.

Yeah, RC makes inversion-making ridiculously easy, when you put the chords in. Literally drag up/down. It's smart. Definitely an under-appreciated and brilliant piece of software. It's by one guy. People should definitely support his work as again, I believe he started everything.

Person above mentioned EZKeys-- EZKeys is brilliant for phrase-playing. It's not great for melody-generation but certainly for getting the right "feeling" from a chord progression... those Styles, and previewing it before applying it to the MIDI, that's genius. Nice tool, for sure. Good sounds, too.

As someone who frequently struggles with melody-writing (vocally and sometimes instrumentally), these tools help a lot. They don't create hits on the spot, but point you in the right direction.

As I find more, I'll update my post. I know there's some I'm forgetting.

4. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

If I haven't overlooked it, Sugar Bytes new modular Midi plugin "Nest" hasn't been mentioned yet.
    https://sugar-bytes.de/nest
    And yes, Architect from Loomer is interesting, but being 5 years under development it will never get out of the beta phase. This developer is a one man team. He's capable, but he is sooo slow...

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Nov 16, 2021

Tactic phrase generator plugin by Glitchmachines on sale for $5 USD!

Plugin Boutique has launched an exclusive sale on Glitchmachines Tactic, offering nearly 90% off on the percussive phrase generator geared towards metamorphic rhythms and evolving sequences.

Tactic features a host of sample slots and a master trigger sequencer supported by several modulation sequencers with features such as per-step probability, per-step parameter value designations and per-step randomization, giving you all the tools necessary to create anything from subtle percussive grooves to experimental hyper glitch chaos.

While Tactic can confidently stand on its own, the plugin truly comes to life when paired with Glitchmachines range of signal processing plugins such as Convex, Subvert, Cryogen, Quadrant and Fracture XT. You can of course also load your own samples and pair it with any of your favourite processors and effects chains to fully customize the plugin to your needs.

Tactic for Windows and Mac (VST3/AU) is on sale for only $5 USD until December 2nd, 2021 (regular $49 USD).

More information: Glitchmachines

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I have a portable and 64 bit installed, and neither showed it underJS (that I saw). I will look again. Maybe I put a space in the search. Will try searching a single string like you show. Thanks.

7. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Geeze, I must have been tired or something yesterday! I found it and loaded it today. Thanks for your patience. I also saw two other sequencers listed there. Baby, and baby 2. Will have to check those out. Not sure how much I will use these but it's good to know about. :like:

8. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Samplab is a cool, new tool:

9. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

Just tried it. Great fun. And Free! (for now at least)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Stuck In The 80s

ReMidi 2 back on offer today at Plugin Boutique.

£14.95 (from £59)

Just bought it.

11. justsomerandomdude

including Tax ?

12. Stuck In The 80s

Yes

13. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

14. justsomerandomdude

Came across this yesterday, not a fan of "AI generated" stuff but it might be worth to take look at.
    Musia https://musiaplugin.com/

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  15. justsomerandomdude

16. audiofannn

audiofannn Member

Yeah that was it! MIDIQ. I didn't think it could do melody stuff though, just chords.

MUSIA-- another subscription-based monthly thing. Looks like it needs an internet connection. Hard pass there. It functions basically exactly like RapidComposer. Everyone stealing his algorithms and programming. Ugh.

17. justsomerandomdude

Oh didnt realize that..
    Thought so too. also it looks like orb composer. But RC is a beast, the main advantage it has over all other baby toys is the chord rules, if one is well versed in music theory or history of classical music or jazz music they can create their own custom rules to create a unique progression, also the generators has different rhythm types to choose, but the drawback in that system is one cant just drop those generators in the timeline and click generate and expect magic.. and also it takes time to learn the software.

18. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

trance mainly uses basic/sus/seventh chords so not big magic learning all of them in all the inversions takes 1-2days max (using only one scale, Cubase can transpose it to anywhere), after the chord notes highlighting feature of Cubase can be used nicely together with fiddling on some MIDI-keyboard, so I try to find some nice progression using only triads then detecting the chords with Cubase and adding more chord/scale notes to the progression (Cubase has track version so all the variations can be archived)

I've tried the chord etc. generators but only the method above worked for me, I've just opened one of my scratch file to see the progress

19. spncart

spncart Producer

Regarding Phrasebox I second this guy in the comments of the video though. I never made any playable sound out of it, maybe I missed the right tutorial out there?

"I just want a "Phrase Library". I want to be able to look around tor the phrases which best suit my needs from premade templates for runs.... From there I want to be able to select the notes on my DAW and replace with the phrase I found.

Why does every company begin with a TRILLION random variables instead of beginning with what already exists?! Like what articulation libraries do, but for phrases."

20. audiofannn

audiofannn Member

The Phrase Library thing--- RapidComposer is likely what you need. It's insanely powerful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List