Midi input causing CPU spikes

Discussion in 'Live' started by Cav Emp, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Hey friends,

About a week ago I swapped out my old RAM in my laptop - replaced the stock 2GB with 2x4GB from Mushkin. I don't know that this is the cause of the problem, but it is the only significant change that happened recently.

Midi input on any old synth or sampler is causing my CPU to go anywhere from 7-12%. And that's just with a blank session and one synth loaded.
    When I load my template project, which has a bunch of 128s in a drum rack, some sends, a couple midi compressors, etc., my CPU idles at 1-4%, and when I play a note on any track my CPU shoots up to 25-30%. This has never happened before.

Anything I can find on Ableton's support forum is strictly about reducing CPU load, but not about midi input causing CPU spikes.

I'm using Live 9.2
    Windows 7 x64
    Dell Latitude e6410
    quad core i5 2.67 GHz
    8GB RAM at 1066 mHz (same speed as stock RAM, per the advice generously given by some of our great community)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  3. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

strange behavior, new RAM is exact same specs as the old?

I was about to upgrade an old machine too (desktop), something about the socket number and checking the max
    RAM allowable on your system, example this old machine has 4 slots for 1GB each.. so the board only accepts 4GB max RAM
    may want to check the specifications of your set up from the manufacturer

realize with an i5 it should easily accommodate the upgrade if the i5 originally came with it..

could also try backing off to 4GB total, see if it improves or
    mix and match to check for bad stick

maybe doesn't help but just 2 ยข

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  4. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

how is your keyboard connected?

usb?
    then try to connect it on the opposite site of your laptop (if it has a usb port on that side ofc.)
    Don't get your hopes up, it's a wild guess but it worked for me once :unsure:

5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

@Herr Durr I was pretty careful about getting compatible parts. I'm fairly noobish in technical stuff but to the best of my knowledge all the specs match. The laptop came with i5 but probably not quad core. Still this never happened before and I didn't swap any processors :dunno:. I guess removing one of the 4gb sticks is a logical troubleshooting measure - I've read about computers being unable to handle their supposed capacities. I'd hate if I couldnt use all 8gb.

@Kwissbeats that's an interesting point. Its usb 2. I think it was plugged into the port right below the usual one. I know my laptop gave me a hard time about plugging it into the other side of the computer because it was only usb1. Maybe there's some quirk with this one. I had to loan my laptop to a family member to research some medical issues; when I get it back tonight this sounds like a good starting point for my troubleshooting. I would love it if the problem were that dumb/simple.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Update: Note input on an empty midi track doesn't seem to cause CPU spikes, so it's happening somewhere between the midi input and the audio output.

And sadly, changing the USB connection wasn't the answer :no:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  7. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

welp... ya got me there.... next genius up...

8. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

e6410 is shipped with only few variants of i5, starting from i5-520M
    There isn't an i5 mobile which is quad-core, you've probably mistaken number of cores with number of threads (e.g. like in Task Manager) :thumbsup:
    Maximum RAM allowed shouldn't reflect on performance - it's mere capability of a chipset to map certain amount of memory.

Just random ideas here, nothing concrete, but in the end it might help:
    1. Try reinstalling your interface drivers. E.g. complete uninstall and install.
    2. Check if you have installed Intel INF Chipset Utility (search for infinst_autol.exe). Westmere chipset doesn't come with USB 1.1, all ports should be safely USB 2.0 or higher.
    3. Check if you're monitoring load on all threads or just one of them.
    4. Maybe a stupid move, but have you tried plugging in back the 2GB module to see whether it rectifies the problem?

9. firsound

firsound Newbie

A few possibilities :

1. Make sure that your "virtual memory" wasn't changed upon installing the RAM
    2. Make sure you're comparing the ableton project with the same buffer settings for your audio interface (same buffer size before as after).
    Typically, larger buffer = better cpu performance just more lag (latency) between when you hit a midi note, and when you hear it.

3. Make sure your system recognizes the RAM, go to "control panel", then "System". Make sure it says there's 8 GB of RAM.

I could easily be wrong, but to me it really sounds like a buffer issue. First re-read step two, and make sure your audio interface settings that the Ableton project is using is the same as when you had 4 GB for an un-biased controlled comparison. If your buffer value is the same, you can lastly try "disk cleanup" then a "defrag" which is unlikely to solve the problem, but possible.

Not a solution, but a suggestion, I've found that having an SSD for your OS, primary DAW, and go to plugins, greatly enhances cpu performance while running a DAW particularly at lower buffer rates :yes:

Good luck, let us know if you figure out the culprit or the problem somehow spontaneously disappears!

10. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

@firsound I see that this was your first post. If you are new, allow me to welcome you to the community. Honored that you came to help.

I've tried out everyone's suggestions except for physically removing the RAM sticks and swapping the old one back in. Tomorrow is the start of the weekend, so I'll tackle that one in the next couple days. Limited luck so far, but I'm grateful to everyone that took time out of their day to analyze the problem and offer solutions.

I don't use any audio interface on my laptop - I just plug in some headphones and go. This computer is basically just for brainstorming when I don't feel like sitting up at the main computer. I've tried bumping the buffer as high as 1048 and no difference. The RAM was added specifically so I could run Live with fewer limitations, and even if I'm losing 30% for some nebulous reason, I'm still coming out ahead of having full use of a piddly 2GB RAM.

I did some more troubleshooting and reinstalled some drivers. Playing notes in an empty set seem to cause less of a CPU load. Any time I play something on my template set it's still as high as 30% but I'm just gonna strip that set down and live with it until I can find a solution. It's more than capable of serving its purpose as a brainstorming platform.

11. Molecular

Molecular Noisemaker

Hi Cav.
    The issue could lie between the ram and the cpu functioning erratically together. The ram is showing as 8gb, yes? It may not be running efficiently though, as other people have had similar problems. Plug-ins, in most cases, tend to use more cpu, and samplers, like kontakt, use more ram (although a plug as well). Obviously it all uses ram, but those are the generalities - also an indicator your cpu and ram are malfunction while operating in tandem. The basic solution is to get dell ram, as that seems to generally fix all related issues. Also, as you might know, you should run Ableton in multi-core mode and vsts as single-core. Or, vise versa if you don't generally use Ableton's instruments or effects. Keeping them all in muli-core mode has caused issues for many people.
    Hope this helped in some capacity.