Midi drag & drop into piano deleting previous notes...

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by flguy, Apr 7, 2019.

1. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

Whenever I drag any midi into the piano roll that has existing midi, FL studio 20 will delete whatever previous midi was in the roll. I have some midi packs of single chords that I like to drag into the piano roll to create progressions. I have to drag the midi into a sampler channel and then copy and paste the chord into the progression, which ends up being very time consuming. Does anyone know if it is possible to disable dragged midi from overwriting anything that was in the roll beforehand?

3. Evo

Evo Kapellmeister

Best Answer
    No you can't, it's like you are saying to FL to replace the existing midi to that new one. Just drag the midi in the rack in a free space it automatically put that midi in new sampler, enable ghost notes and work with that. Or simply drag all the midi in the rack, go in piano roll, select, ctrl+x or c depends on you, paste the midi in the "progression piano roll", do that for all the midi dragged in the rack, silence that you dont want to ear or put them away in piano roll then bring back slowly to create progressions, or put them 1/2 octave up silenced or in another sampler with ghost enabled and work with that.

4. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

That is what I've been doing for the most part. I wasn't sure if there was an option to disable overwriting when dragging and dropping. Frankly I'm sort of shocked Image Line hasn't implemented something like this to increase workflow. Thanks for the response.

5. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

i'm not sure if this is helpful.
    if i have notes recorded into the piano roll, i can drag a midi file from the browser into it and a window appears with some options one of which is "Blend with existing data".
    that's my way of doing that..