MIDI controllers that automap and cracked plugins

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by BrandonK, Nov 6, 2021.

1. BrandonK

BrandonK Noisemaker

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

I have the Nektar Panorama P1, I use it with Reaper. I can say that:

1. Of course, it doesn't use any wrapper. (Yay!)
    2. All parameter values are shown in their native units (you see values in Hz, dB, %, 0-1 etc. - both in plugins in the DAW and on the Panorama's LCD).
    3. There is several dozen of popular plugins (instruments and FX) that are factory premapped. You can override these mappings if you want.
    4. For other plugins, it automaps parameters = it is ready to go with any plugin (including cracked ones). And you can override these automatic mappings with your own ones, if you want.

The endless encoders work great. They have a bit of acceleration and are very intuitive. Much better than e.g. those on BCR2000.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. BrandonK

BrandonK Noisemaker

So the factory pre-mapped plugins are recognized even if they are cracked, too?

4. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

As far as I remember, yes. (I have overwritten stock mappings, e.g. for Diva, so I cannot check now).

Even if there were factory mapping for plugins I use, I replaced them with my own ones, so that they are more consistent.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  5. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

Some more first hand info about Nektar Panorama P1:

1. At least with Reaper it works WONDERFUL. I use it mostly (or maybe only) for controlling VST synths. Currently no other controller comes close, although there are some in development (e.g. SiniCon E24).

2. It can work with other DAWs (Studio One etc.), but I don't know how deep is the integration then.

3. I have Studio One installed, but... Panorama P1 can only store one DAW integration config (firmware) inside it at a time. So I would need to re-flash P1's memory when switching between Reaper and Studio One. I decided not to do that (although it is possible).

4. As I already mentioned: the biggest advantage over the competition (even over Nektar's own "T" series) is NO WRAPPERS. Panorama P1 DOES NOT REQUIRE Nektarine. It just works. (In case of Reaper, it adds a .dll file to Reaper directory. Totally transparent.)

5. P1's faders are not motorized (thank god! - less parts to be broken). But they are very intuitive. The spot for soft-takeover is always clearly marked on the LCD. Very clever design.

6. The guys at Nektar are very lame at marketing. I went through numerous other hardware controllers until I discovered P1. They cannot write a simple list of product's Unique Selling Points, nor show its advantages over competition. I found the P1 accidentally and ordered it without really knowing its enormous capabilities.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    • List
  6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

The only "but" I see with the P1 is that the faders are very small: 45 mm.

7. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

I didn't experience any problems with pointing the desired value (you know, in some controllers you aim e.g. at 49, but you constantly get 48 or 50 - not here).

• List
  8. Piszpunta

Piszpunta Kapellmeister

Some drawbacks:

1. Shiny plastic. It can reflect ceiling lights strongly when viewed at certain angles. Also, collects dust and fingerprints.

2. Transport buttons a bit stiff. Personally, I would prefer them to be softer.