Midi controllers for efficient plugin control.

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Glass, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Patrick_

Patrick_ Ultrasonic

Nothing touches the komplete keyboards.

second IF you can get one is the Electra one which I’m going too order. It looks like EXACTLY what I need.

2. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

Old thread i know, but found a very relevant video. I'm a Studio One user. I watched this video today in my search for a device that i can use to control plugins (i.e. a bunch of knobs):

I'm blown away. That is some SERIOUS functionality. And it's on an ancient device. Granted he went to a lot of effort with the initial setup, but i haven't seen something better than that for plugin/DAW control.

Researching this BCR2000 (and X-Touch One) certainly gave me a newfound respect for Behringer, and now i'm hoping the revised version of it comes out soon (BCR32)

What else exists that's similar to the BCR2000 but more compact? (i.e. many knobs with LED feedback, a few buttons)

I have a Komplete S49. It's definitely nice, but the problem for me personally is that the knobs are attached to the keyboard, lol. It means they have to sit wherever the keyboard sits, which means the knobs are either too far in front of me or too far to the right of me, depending on where i put the keyboard. Obviously not NI's fault, but it does mean i have to find a separate device for plugin control

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I control all the knobs in the DAW with my mouse! Goes fastest for me and I have a good workflow.
    Of course you could also rethink your sitting position. Or use a different desk.

4. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

I do the same, but i want the physical tactile feeling

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @Barncore, I am sitting in front of my midikeyboard, then comes the keyboard and then the monitor.
    I have added a wooden board in front of the desk which is also slightly deeper than the desk. There is also the mouse.

Maybe a suggestion for you could give the Midikeyboard differently to place, so you save money and even more cables and space. The money for an additional controller I would better use in a practical work table. The work flow is better when you sit directly in front of the monitor.

How is the space available with you and how did you set up everything now?

6. Kamen A.

Kamen A. Guest

I love the Flip mode of my XTouch, it allows me to control plugins under studio one with full precision and 1024 steps in conjunction to low resolution MIDI knobs with 127 steps

7. User1

User1 Noisemaker

Anything else is compromise!
    I own one and I can't live without it. Ask me anything

8. genlab

genlab Member

is there an on /off Button???...yes I had it also on Eye but...hey another Wrapper for Plug Ins(no Sidechain) and no on off was an no go for me....Can do nealy the same with a touchscreen LCD on my desktop

9. User1

User1 Noisemaker

From the reply, i suspect you don't fully comprehend how this controller works. I could be wrong, but let me ask you this. Does my M-audio midi controller keyboard have an on/off switch? No
    Why? Have they been cheap and didn't want to put it? No
    A lot USB powered equipment don't have an on/off switch. You simply don't need one and if there was one it would be useless. The MIDI controller consumes a negligible amount of power and the touchscreen can be used as an additional monitor.
    But hey, if it means so much to you, get a USB hub with power switches
    upload_2023-1-26_15-27-29.png

The MP Controller has sidechain.

If you want to have that level of control and seamless bidirectional integration of the controller with the plugin, the only way is with a wrapper plugin. Anything else is just a pain and it will not work properly.
    What's wrong with that? I can use my presets on other DAWs, I can save chain of presets and chain of instruments.
    I used to do that with Bluecat's patchwork anyhow. Their plugin adds zero latency, no additional cpu load and offers a couple of extra advantages like soloing a plugin out of a chain of plugins.

Try changing presets on a plugin. Does you midi controller sync up with the updated values of the plugin?
    Every time i select a plugin, i don't have to worry about the state of the controller, whenever it is synced or values are going to jump or any other complex, weird process that at the of the day is sucking the fun out of making music.

Try creating a macro let's say controlling the input/output gain of a compressor with another controller. It's hard. With the MP you can do it in a sec.
    Like i said, can't live without it and it has changed the whole aspect on how I interact with plugins. It's a completely different experience for me, much more creative, fun and less disruptive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. genlab

genlab Member

https://www.skippyweb.eu/2021/12/mp-midi-controller/

read this about connet or unconnect this Midi Controller ......Its the same then with USB Hub.....I think you had it on the whole Time even when you donts in your Daw

Iam not say this is a bad thing....I think maybe one of the Best Controllers but over 700 Euro for a cheap LCD whith knobs...i dont know.....Maybe some Day the Software will be around and then you only miss the Knobs and can use the virtual knobs;)

And my Controller was next to my Push 2 an 32 inch LCD and it syncs wonderfull with every Plug in because I control it direct from this screen...One Month ago i want to buy this MP Controller but read about the drawbacks and get an 32 inch LCD instead..for 30 % the price of the MP one

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. User1

User1 Noisemaker

I saw this https://www.skippyweb.eu/2021/12/mp-midi-controller/ a long time ago and i think it is also outdated. I am not experiencing the same, i don't have any issues with Waves on the Mac and frankly i never even thought of powering off the MIDI controller. My korg nanopad does not have an on/off switch either. It's fine for these to be ON all the time. In fact, you degrade the lifespan of sensitive electronics by powering them on/off frequently rather than just have them ON.
    Professional studios leave equipment ON indefinitely.

You can get a decent touchscreen and work with a touchscreen. I have tried it, don't like it, it's hard to be accurate. It's nice if you want to press a button on a plugin. Knobs are great for almost anything, and with this controller you can configure each knob to act like a switch too.
    With the MP you can also zoom on small plugins.

For the price. I think it is fair, it's a solid build, has quality components. The touchscreen/screen color quality is phenomenal and you get lifetime updates/support to their software. And they have been updating. The new favorites page is awesome.
    They also offer great support, anytime i asked something i always get an answer back within a few hours.
    If you compare how much other equipment is i think it is a good price.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

MAudio's Oxygen Pro range keyboards have an on/off button. Except the Pro mini (I think)

13. genlab

genlab Member

Its not the thing with on /of on Midi Controller ...really can use an on off switch from USB Hub...But having an screen everytime on is useless when you dont need it....while you maybe surf the web...When i heard this about livespan...lol...you know what happens with the Power Price in Europe????
    The Controller was an nice Idea an maybe they make it right in the next Revision ....but now I dont think....Even what happens when the Screen broke????Not sure you can change it Yourself

14. genlab

genlab Member

and you know why this is possible ???or which Software is responsible for this Zooming function....UPDD was this magic....btw can work on every screen

15. User1

User1 Noisemaker

Like every other thing we buy, it has warranty. If it breaks after that, there are parts to replace them. We purchase expensive analog synths, sound interfaces, mac computers with embedded ram and HDs on them. I mean that kind of logic will not take us far...
    What if your 32" display breaks?

For the electricity prices, a device using USB voltage at 5v is not going to save you my man:)

Btw, the model1A+ has a remote control with a power on/off button. But, i completely forgot about it because i never use it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  16. Kamen A.

Kamen A. Guest

There is a easy trick you find any control instantly.
    Just tweak the knob with teh mouse and watch which motorfader move

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2023
  17. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

One of the best inventions in a DAW was the facility to manually deep dive to the smallest increment in MIDI /controller mapping.

I am not entering into the "this one is better than that" because it is different for everyone in both MIDI Controllers and DAW's. There are many great ones and not-so-good ones.

In short, no matter which MIDI Controller you choose, when it comes down to the finest detail you cannot beat the digital pencil representation that allows you to shape any curve on any controller. While some controllers have advanced capacity that does 'some' of this, there are DAW's out there which do it better. Subsequently, this means for many people, their choice is based on the controller which is most compatible with their DAW of choice that facilitates editing across-the-board .

This means the playing in of music is not only accurately represented in the DAW, and recorded how they performed it, this also means that the the assignments of the sliders/faders/circular knobs, buttons and more are recognized by the DAW perfectly, and application that allows for accurate MIDI control - AND - they record it exactly. Having a great MIDI controller is useless if the DAW does not mirror it in record mode. It's fine if you are only recording audio but if you wish to go back and edit the velocity, aftertouch, faders/controls on an application, modulation, pitch - etc etc afterwards - not good. You want to do one or the other with the option to manually fine tune it later if an external controller is preferred, not be forced to do it.

SO- you pick one that fits seamlessly with your preferred work environment that you can afford. I believe it is that simple.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  18. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

I will try to sum up my experience, trying a BUNCH of controllers for decades.

You need VISUAL feedback. Because you are NEVER going to remember 32 faders/pots use ... especially when they are all different on each plugin/track. This is the most important feature.

You already use a computer screen ... so the visual feedback NEED to be on this screen.
    I tried tablets, Novation Remote SL ... this don't WORK at the end because you spend your time looking at BOTH.
    Motorized faders/infinite pots are good too, if you already know WHAT you are controlling ... on computer screen (back to square one)

To me, the best solution is DIRECT ON DAW visual feedback.
    Like Studio One Control Link AND Macros Control in their own window.
    With Studio One Control Link and Macros , i can JUST look at the screen and touch my controls without even looking at them.

Because there is a dedicated window showing WHAT those controls are linked to, each time i change track/plugin.
    And a lot more visible than my Novation SL or even my tablet.

With this kind of implementation, you can even use any cheap a** controller and still get amazing visual feedback and workflow.
    Frankly, i will NEVER go back to another "external feedback" solution.

In the DAW visual link or nothing