MIDI controller to write automation in Daws?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Highdom, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Highdom

Highdom Ultrasonic

Write down automation (as volumes, filter cutoffs, envelopes amount...) with your mouse works, of course. But you often have to tweak a little to make it sounds more real.
    My question is: are there any gear made to write down automations by moving faders/knobs? I've already have a m-audio keyboard that is really minimal.
    I was thinking about a nice update for my desk...dreaming to write down automations by (physically) moving a fader each time using touch mode in my DAW (actually logic)!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Any MIDI controller.
    There are tons! Faders, knobs (endless rotary and potentiometers), touch strips, optical, etc.
    What are you looking for? Presonus Faderport? VMeter?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Best Answer
  5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Roland A800 61 keys, plenty of presets, 8 pads, 9 knobs, 9 faders, transport, and the cool pitch/mod joystick

664710039400664.jpg

oh , and you can configure it to work with Reaper

can be found used for around $250, Reverb etc.. would not buy new at $399 tho again

6. jennyblack

jennyblack Producer

Agree with Baxter: any will do (even with a single modularion wheel: just assign what you want to automate/control to it!). But if you want plenty of knobs, faders, etc. there are many controllers that will offer you this, some cheap, some expensive. I use an akai mpd32, which gives an insane amount of control (8 faders, 8 buttons, 8 rotary knobs and 16 pads, all multiplied by 4 banks) but sometimes i feel so lazy and assign what i want to automate to the mod wheel of my microkey (korg).

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List