Midi Control Program Question

Discussion in 'PC' started by lampwiikk, Aug 7, 2012.

1. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Hello I was wondering if anyone has every encountered a plugin that would allow me to put a slight delay on "note off" MIDI messages? I have a monophonic MIDI pickup for my guitar which works really great, but anytime I use it on an instrument that requires legato style playing, it won't work because the pickup always sends a "note off" message for the current note before sending a "note on" message for the next note. So the solution, I think would be to delay the "note off" signal until the next "note on" signal is received. Was wondering if it would be possible to program something like this in Max for Live? Any help would be greatly appreciated, string and choir libraries just don't sound right without the legato playing...

3. chimpydingdong

chimpydingdong Newbie

I haven't tried it, but perhaps the stock Midi Length plug-in in ableton in-line before whatever softsynth etc you are using might do the trick......

4. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

No, I had the same thought, but as soon as you feed it another note it starts over... I do use that a lot though, I use a momentary pedal to send it one note from the midi pickup, and then when I take my foot off the pedal it latches and will drone for up to 2 minutes, which is pretty handy. Thanks for the reply though

5. chimpydingdong

chimpydingdong Newbie

hmmm, I'm on a mac, I also use a midi guitar, but i guess it is polyphonic, I guess one workaround would be to extend the release of the sound being controlled, if the synth or sampler is set to polyphonic, the notes should still ring out, make sure they are not on monophonic.... I guess I haven't heard of a controller sending a "note off", as usually a monophonic source would just send another note, therefore taking priority over the previous note. If that doesn't work, I imagine there is some kind of max4live device, but I can imagine having something delaying "note offs", would cause some other problems. I would just try and alter the sound you are controlling, extending the release of the envelope and making sure it is monophonic....

good luck!

6. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Lampwiikk,

Maybe here you'll find an eventual alternative...
    Although certainly slightly more expensive, but in my opinion, very interesting... *yes*
    A must see and maybe to try too if you can ! :wink:

Surprising, isn't ? :wow:

7. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Yeah I was looking at the YRG before, pretty cool what you can do with it considering it looks like a toy, almost got one, but decided to go with an i2M instead, because I wanted something that I could use with my regular guitar for live stuff, more to supplement and add to my guitar sound than to actually use as a standalone, although it does fairly well with that too... here is a link to check it out

http://youtu.be/q7bnPsvH5Zk

Here is a tune I made with it, the sax is just coming in real time from my guitar line, not a separate track or anything, I really love this thing, worth checking out

http://soundcloud.com/lampwiikk/who-diss

8. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

Check to see if your DAW has a few latency controls. I have a guitar with a roland midi pickup in it too and the notes got jumbled up when tracking. I believe in several daws there is an option for presignal latency if that makes any sense. Basically it aligns your daw with the latency of the device your using so that it matches up correctly.

I know you can do it in Pro Tools, but no option in FL Studio. So I assume this function is very DAW specific.