(Mid 2010) 13" Macbook Pro Experience

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Levitate, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Levitate

Levitate Producer

[​IMG]

Hello All,[​IMG]

Just had a tiring 2 week Mac experience and I figured I'd make a post about it.
    (Long story short a friend bought a Macbook Pro and always has me work on his Macs)

(Mid 2010) 13" Macbook Pro 2.4ghz Core Duo Nvidia 320m 4gb Ddr3 1067 250gb Hd Osx Lion:

First thing I did was upgraded to Mavericks 10.9.4.

Installed all the essentials,wine/wine bottler,keka,batchmod,permissions fixer,daemon tools,nfo viewer,little snitch,clean my mac 2,crossover 13,etc

Installed Pro Tools 10.3.9,Logic 10.0.7,EZ Drummer 2 and all expansions,updates & midi's,Addictive Drums 2,Kontakt 5.3.1,Sylenth 2.2.1,
    Antares Complete Bundle,Waves r18,EZmix 2 and all expansions,Ozone 5,Blue Cats Patchwork,32 Lives,JBridgeM,and Fxpansion VST to RTAS adapter.

Was quite a task,had many issues with getting plugins to work right,had to install 2 EZD2 expansions manually, had to do a lot of permission fixing,also it ran like trash until I did a verify permissions and repair in disk utility.That made an enormous difference.

So now I'm making a victory post to say,after some tinkering... I got it all to work beautifully![​IMG]
    (With the exception of VST to RTAS Adapter wraps making no sound with some plugins.No matter,Patchwork is awesome!)

I could most definitely help anyone having issues with any of these softwares on Mavericks 10.9.4.
    (At the very least while it's fresh in my mind and I have a Mac on hand for awhile)

I'm done with all the hard work on it,all should be smooth sailing from here on in.Only thing I didn't do that I wanted was to mod the menu bar black.
    But,none seemed to work right on 10.9.4. :dunno: I have some sick Apple wallpapers on it,would look really pretty with a black bar and a custom apple button...

In a few days he's bringing over a Samsung 840 Pro to clone and replace the current internal drive and he's purchased 16gb of 1067 ddr3 for it from OWC.

I'm gonna do all the tweaks on the Optimizing for audio post before upgrade... :dancing:

It apparently is one of the only models of Mid 2010 MBP that 16gb actually works in from what I've read.Lot of argument online there.I'll take screenshots if everything is a success... :wink:

If there is anything any of you think I missed,or that you recommend,please let me know.
    I've worked on a few Macs,have made a Snow Leo AMD Hackintosh in the past and installed kext's to make hardware work and stuff but I am far from a Mac expert

Next job is a Mac mini(Not sure on specs haven't plugged it in yet)

Take care all! :mates: [​IMG]

3. ignoble

ignoble Newbie

Hi Levitate - keep us updated on the mac mini too... I'm hoping to get one soon :thumbsup:
    ignoble.

4. Levitate

Levitate Producer

[​IMG]

Success! [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Cloned HDD with Carbon Copy Cloner to Samsung 840 Pro SSD,installed SSD,rebooted,went to disk utilities and verified/repaired permissions,restarted.

Clone is perfect other than first start little snitch thought it was a different version.Ok'd current version,everything works.

Shutdown,installed new Ram,buttoned it up,plugged it in and hit power.

Came right on.[​IMG]

Slow the first couple starts,but each time it restarts it seems a lil faster. Boot up is around 45-48 seconds last bootup,shutdown is instant

Much snappier,handles tasks right now with most things.[​IMG]

Any suggestions on anything else I should do to it?

I haven't ran thru that optimize for audio post yet,(Things didn't go as planned)
    I'll prolly start there. I'd like to keep the dock if I can though

BTW,
    Thanks for the thanks all :hug: :mates:

P.S. Also added latest Spire & expansions,put a huge IR library on it,Sylenth Banks,and loaded up some Kontakt Libs & Master Tabs on his usb hard drive before I cloned

(From here on added a short while later)

Also ran across an issue with this since I've had it,it has crashed a couple times,and when it does,it restarts and only one ram slot shows a chip in it. It did it 10 min after I made this last post. I was like :wow: Nooooooo.... :rofl: So I looked it up,found a post where someone suggested loosening the 4 screws around the ram holder a lil.So I did it.Sure as heck turned it back on and 16Gb again.

To the neigh sayers that are gonna be like "It doesn't support 16" immediately after that crash.
    It did the exact same thing with the 2 factory 2gb sticks so....

I originally thought a chip was bad.But as I read,MBP's put off a lot of heat and slightly warp the logic board.Super Helpful Post!

Anyway,I loosened a lil so far so good,if it crashes I may tighten back down a lil,but you could almost feel the plastic be like ahh :wink: when you loosened the screws.I loosened then tightened down just until there was resistance.Then reseated the top chip.

If it gets funny I'll let ya know :thumbsup:

(Seems boot is even faster about 35-40 secs)

Cheers! :mates:

5. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Yes plz help me to upgrade my Mac Pro Late 2007 from Snow Leopard to Mavericks

6. davea

davea Platinum Record

If you haven't made it yet,
    check your HD with this command on boot ( or reboot) in kipping CMD+S during the boot, you will boot on dos and let finish
    all the automatic task until you see:

or
    ( can't remember exactly ;-)

then type
    this is the way of checking files & volume errors.

When you see something like :

re do
    until you see
    then type
    ( that get you out this dos environment ) to your profile windows to type your pass to open your profile or direct without any password to your desk ( depend of your preferences)

Do this task ones a week if you're working all day with your machine.
    Anyway, you'll see loads of improvements 'cause of this maintenance task.

cheers

7. Levitate

Levitate Producer

Awesome! Thanks davea! About to do that in a sec and typing it in text editor to save these instructions for him for in the future. :wink:

I did most all of the steps in the Optimize for audio post except disabling the dock last night.

It boots up in around 25 sec now!! And no crashes and staying at 16gb since I toyed with those screws. :dancing:

I'm glad I found that.Really seems like a lifesaver post,seen a lot of people going to pretty extreme measures putting MBP's in freezers and stuff.
    Always nice when you find information that helps a bunch of people and doesn't cost a dime. :thumbsup:

8. davea

davea Platinum Record

cool , glad that can help you. Check aswel, Onyx ( if you don't know it already), an perfect maintenance tool for mac

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Does this do anything that running Onyx regularly etc does not? Thanks