Microsoft Tried To Force Win11 Update On My Win10 Computer.

Discussion in 'PC' started by Kluster, Apr 12, 2023.

1. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Updating an System is the Way for people who don't know how to do a clean Install of an OS and will never be the same performance. Its okay if you do it inside a Win Version from Win10 to a newer Win 10 Version, but upgrading to an whole new OS Version is called bad practice in the IT world. The only thing Win11 is better in than Win10 is handling background processes more efficient, other than that more spying on the User, Bad GUI which wants to copy that MacOS feeling and if you compare a right click on the Desktop from Win10 to Win11 it's a step backwards. (I know you can change that with extra Tools but im talking about the Expierence you get out the Box)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I'm not against updating something that NEEDS updating. IE something that will benefit me, but I'll be buggered before I update anything that is detrimental to either myself or my computer!

Following on from your suggestion, a way to turn off telemetry in 'Firefox' for example is this:

1) type into the web address box :- about:config
    2) 'Accept the risk and continue'
    3) Search Preference name = Telemetry
    4) Scroll down the list, and wherever you see the word 'True' double click until it says false!
    5) The one exception is :-
    privacy.trackingprotection.origin_telemetry.enabled true
    6) Alter this listed web address and press the enter button:-
    browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.telemetry.structuredIngestion.endpoint https://incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org/submit To THIS:- https://Sendtonowhere/Send

Close the page and you're done.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Hiding the most useful features provided by apps from the user (like the "Extract here" command from WinRAR) in an additional sub-menu is the worst they could ever do to the right-click menu. But you can restore the old behavior:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11/a62e797c-eaf3-411b-aeec-e460e6e5a82a

Co-sign about imitating the look and feel of macOS. But it goes both ways: macOS used to have a pretty clean System Settings menu based on icons representing categories. Since macOS Ventura, they switched it to a cluttered list almost worse than what Windows uses. I literally have to use the search function now to find the entry for System Updates.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Now isn't Microsoft a bundle of fun. What would we do without it? Anal sex wouldn't be so popular, that's for sure. What does anal sex has to do with Windows? Just think about it some more...:rofl:

Anyway, I'm glad I left the Microsoft train to Gulag or maybe Auschwitz years ago. For those who still feel like they can't, I suggest they install one of those gen2 Win10 super compact versions or maybe "Phoenix OS" W10 "super lite" version and forget about doing any updates. I've been considering updating my laptop's Win7 to one of these since they work so well. You can avoid an afternoon of tweaking by installing a "lite" version and have a generally easier living with such a lean and fast, trouble-free MS Win OS. For those who are using full blown Windows (see what I did there? :)) tough luck people. There are tools you can use to stop the updates from MS and you can do manual updates with ones that are really updates, not MS scam.

Now you probably wish you could just type "sudo apt update" into the terminal and say "no" if you don't want it, or just enjoy updating your OS knowing nothing bad would happen. :wink: Microsoft's behaviour regarding OS updates and forceful upgrades has become pretty intolerable even when they were pushing W10, now it seems completely totalitarian like. There's absolutely nothing good coming from that evil company, really. :sad:

If you can, just get away from it and enjoy a backseat in a comedy theatre with me. It's much more fun :rofl:

Cheers! :headbang:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  5. DJK

DJK Rock Star

well is your pc just for music production? if yes then keep it offline and no updates will be forced upon you, get a laptop to dl things and transfer it to the offline pc, most people will not be able to update to win 11 if there pc`s dont have TPM, if its an older generation pc and prosessor then you will have to stay on the win version you have installed, i upgraded my pc with the latest mother board and chip, which has TPM enabled by default, so the simple solution is if what you are using as your currant os then keep it and keep it offline then you have no issues, if your pc is both music and internet them for sure you will have updates forced on you. And i have had no issues using win 11 what so ever.

6. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Exactly what i meant they ruined the right click menu. I'm using the Admin Context Menu from an Austrian Homepage at Home and at Work. (When i created an VM a month ago with Win11 at Work the Admin Contex Menu worked fine there aswell as under Win10.)

https://www.anreiter.at/admin-kontextmenue/. (Sorry for German Page but there is no English Version just use the Translate Tool.)

The biggest Problem today in my opinion, there is a copy battle going on instead of beeing Unique and thinking forward. Why would MacOS User look more like Windows or the other way around (If they really want that there is always an 3rd Party option). This is happening in all kind of fields now (Smartphones,Food, Cars, Clothing etc.).

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

no if you buy it directly by for example Lenovo you can choose if there is no bloatware and OS included. Just look closer.

If you have any offerings, they usually come with extra software and OS to pump up the price.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

It's not the updating that is THE problem per se... It's what the updating CONSISTS of. 99.9% of the crap delivered to any one machine on "patch tuesday" is moot. For any given patch it may say in it's "description" that it's a "security patch" but if you do some investigating ALL that garbage says basically the SAME thing. These days it's more a question of collected data exchange from the host machine to the OEM and making certain that ANY/ALL efforts of the machine owner to secure the OS are REVERSED.

Look at it logically. IF YOU ACTUALLY NEEDED the ginormous mountain of junk delivered every patch tuesday in order to "make certain you're safe on the internet" or whatever b.s. they are now telling people about updates - why was the fucking OS ever RTM'ed in the first place?

As for "upgrades" every windows upgrade ever tried BROKE more stuff that it "upgraded" hence windows HOT upgrades (those that are done from within a former version of OS) are avoided at all cost.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  9. GeoffreyMcJefferson

GeoffreyMcJefferson Kapellmeister

Shutting down Windows update is one of the first things I do on a fresh windows install. Along with debloating it and removing all telemetry and services I don't need. I won't even plug in my ethernet until I'm done with this process. I can't recommend using Windows 10 in it's default state. And I definitely can't recommend using Windows 11, period. It's pure evil. It's so obvious that they want to force people into using their online service shit. Once they start pushing people away from Windows 10 to Windows 11 or 12, I'm gonna switch to Linux for good.

I'm THIS close to start dualbooting Windows 10 and Linux Mint, the only thing that's stopping me is that I currently don't have a free SSD available lol.

10. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

You can dual boot Windows and Linux from the same SSD. (I'm using Win10 & Kali Linux)

https://opensource.com/article/18/5/dual-boot-linux

11. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

anyone use Faronics Deep Freeze for daw/os?

12. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Completely agree with your entire outlook.

There comes a time where, from a media production POV, one simply stays on the current platform because it is functional and fulfills one's needs to a tee. The ONLY reason I am not still on a windows XP platform is because I needed good solid 64bit functionality from my media creation tools.

The industry driven planned obsolescence game can be played a number of ways including NOT PLAYING AT ALL to going all in upgrading hardware and software at every new turn in the road. The latter can be quite expensive and very time consuming. So much so there becomes less and less time for creativity and production, and more time and money is spent on the latest industry gadgets and making them work. At some point, unless you're filthy rich, there will come a time where you find it necessary to evaluate exactly what you longer term goals are with respect to media production. A decision might be made to call enough, enough computer wise. Maybe an investment in more analog hardware as opposed to computer would be the desired path. Maybe not. I am at a point now where I have all the computer power and software needed to do my bidding, creation/production wise, for quite some time into the future. I am dealing myself out of the planned obsolescence game for now and for some years to come.

13. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I'm not sure if you mean what I think you mean, but since forever ago, I've always been about fresh new installs when changing major O/S versions (ex. Win95 to Win 98, Win 10 to Win 11, etc.). I feel doing updates is generally a good way of carrying problems over from the prior O/S. It's easier to see what's not completely compatible as well, this way, and it gets rid of dated junk that's lingered around too long. Plus, while starting fresh is a lot of work, it's like getting a brand new computer, practically. Everything just runs way better, for a while.

I have no reason to upgrade to Win 11 yet, but whenever I cross that bridge, it will be a fresh install.

14. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

I agree completely with your reference above regarding "version upgrades" to MS operating systems. I have to say however that there were "upgrades" within the WIN10 release schedule that were just as severe as "version" upgrades. They weren't readily apparent because they were masked by being all released under the "WIndows 10" umbrella. For example the biggest and baddest of which was the "upgrade" from Version 1809 (OS build 17763) to Version 20H2 (OS build 19042). There were a couple of updates that took the version into the 19xx's but they weren't major. There were driver issues, and changes in functionality, moreover any "new features" had to be activated via patch as they weren't automatically enabled by default. There were many 3rd party software dev's spec'ing out requirements for their products as requiring 20H2 or better in order to install. A lot of changes made to the interface went straight over my head anyway because I absolutely HATE metro with a passion and have always used a Windows 7 look alike replacement for it.

When I went from 1809 to 20H2 I completely flattened the machines & rebuilt them with the new 20H2 ISO image. Same goes for 21H1 and 21H2. Much safer that way and then pulled what ever I could over from backups.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  15. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

You new to this? Sure seems like you are, the way you clumsily trojan-horse-ed your entirely off-topic, socio-political gripe—one which is only even halfway applicable to people who live in the United States—with an obvious bit of advice that everyone's sure to agree with. :bash:

16. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

It's not about it being a conspiracy/bogeyman (points for spelling "bogeyman" correctly,) it's about the very real possibility that the devs behind any new OS, or changes to a current one, haven't taken into account everyone who will be using it or, alternately, and more likely, they've been lax on implementing all of the necessary changes or add-ons to accommodate them. Besides the fact that shiny often sells better than efficient, it's also true that companies are made up of people, and people are arguably lazy creatures in general, then add to that the fact that you'll rarely see companies jump on anything that won't convince people to slide piles of cash their way, and you start to get a good idea of where many people's concerns come from.
    And let's be real, it's not like customer support is a real thing in 2023. :rofl:

17. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

18. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Because with each edition comes more spyware. Even Windows 10 sucks in this regard and requires a lot of registry hacking to disable all the shit. - I only upgraded because software refused to install on older windows.

19. J Frank Badass

J Frank Badass Ultrasonic

yes this is exactly what i have done
    didnt want it in the first place :)

20. Sam sampler

Sam sampler Noisemaker

Go offline, if all works and all is up and running? Stay offline and strip win 10 what is not necessary for music production. Standalone music machine!