Microsoft to stop producing Windows versions

Discussion in 'PC' started by foster911, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yep, it's time to freeze all the DAW's in the world. We have reached the pinnacle and have more than enough for continued innovation :bleh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I can't wait for this "Free Windows 10" offering to end.
    Maybe then M$ would stop pushing that OS to our perfectly working machines.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

In some aspect they are going the Linux or OS-X way, with generally updating only the OS core, not the whole GUI. I think that's really good. But the problem is that they managed to feck up the GUI and make it unnecessarily complicated to work with since W8. I think that some blend between XP and W7 GUI is already perfect for everybody. They should have left it that way and only update the kernel, drivers etc. years ago.

Regarding Linux for audio, it will be a blessing once that comes true. Why? Because Linux is so easily configurable and you can have multiple Linux OSes on one computer easily. You can have a nice, lean, clean, *real-time kernel* Linux OS only for audio, then one for Internet, one for gaming etc. If you want that, of course. Or you can use VMs for Internet. The point is: Linux is *incredibly flexible* while Windows and OS-X are not. That is Linux's great and possibly deciding advantage in the long run. Ironically, some people want to portray that flexibility as a flaw. I don't think it's a flaw at all. Due to that "flaw" we have Android and Chromebooks, for instance.

Linux can be as secure as it gets, and a Linux server can be only a couple of dozen MB [yes MegaBytes] big. Utterly stable, freaking fast, and freaking efficient. There are multiple different "GUIs" you can choose from, so there's a GUI for everybody. I find using different desktop environments so much fun! :) There's always something happening and it is never boring in the Linux land! :wink: Oh, and it's free, and the code is open for everybody to see. That's also not a small thing, eh? So put all the cards on the table and choose the winner. Linux wins easily. :wink:

It is just the regular computer users that are fecked up, probably by years of using Windows and being the victims of strong MS propaganda, unfortunately, and are unable to see that. :mad:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

We are thinking too much ITB,who knows how much technology develops in the next years,maybe right now someone in the underground is making the most efficient,cool looking and intuitive OS that will destroy everything we know,OS V.R,crack-patch and enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

Without a doubt Cubase 8.5 is one of the best DAWs we have ever seen so far.
    But it could be much smarter.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=81695&p=542272#p542272

We know it comes the day Cubase will require Win 10 on formally so called 'personal' Computers.
    Probably this happens before the apocalypse.

But nothing is sure these times.

I expect a big financial/commercial crisis within the next 2-10 years.
    But idiots with bombs and environmental catastrophes could manage it earlier. :wink:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  7. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

The Win ecosystem is to big (grown over decades worldwide). No one will develop a real, full blown alternative until apocalypse. :guru:

PS: And there is no market, since the majority of users gives a shit on privacy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's a *very* interesting thought, Von_Steyr. Really, technology is developing very rapidly and nobody actually knows what the future holds for us. My mind is open and it's fun [or sad] pondering about it. :winker: There's also this "alternative" future you mentioned... maybe we'll go hunting zombies together? Who knows... it's not so funny, actually. Lots of crap could happen. Humans are astonishing creatures in both positive and negative ways...

"Live short and die an idiot" as the old Vulkan hail goes... or something similar. :hahaha: Current generation of people generally live up to it so far.

9. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

It is a part of the Illuminati project : generalized leasing.

THEY will own EVERYTHING
    YOU (and you children) will own NOTHING

Your computer will be leased
    Your softs/plugs will be leased (already working with Adobe, East West, Steven Slate...)
    Your car will be leased
    Your home will be leased
    You will work for peanuts, without even the RIGHT to keep money for your children
    Everything left when you die will return to who you leased from.
    And the money left on your bank account to the government.

This is the future...and it starts NOW.

"They" became rich and powerful by "inheritance" and "owning". So they want to stop us by removing "inheritance" and "owning".
    The message is very clear. Everyone (apart them) at the same level : in the gutter.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Boujwa

Boujwa Ultrasonic

Hackintosh users are the winners so far. They can switch to any software anytime...!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Im not worried about software,im worred that hard drive manufacturers disappear and everything goes up the f-ing cloud.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

What does the cloud use to store the data? We need to get some of what they've got :bleh: In fact, I am going to build a cloud in my garden shed :wink:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

isn't it possible to create an OS (maybe from Linux) which has the compatibility to install Win software? :unsure:
    I know I'm maybe saying an idiocy, i'm a noob. but: if devs don't make VSTs for Linux, can be possible that an OS become compatible with VST?

...you know, just like the story of Mohammad and the mountain...... :bleh:

14. woam

woam Member

Billions are not enough???!!!

15. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

while you're at it Zen start building that dedicated music production OS as well ... smashing idea...
    seems like someone should be on this already ... :yes:

@Von_Steyr there is still a market for tubes.. and I think there is a big market for
    people who don't trust micro$oft with their computer either, as long as people demand
    some amount of privacy... I don't see how hdd's disappear... a horrifying ootb thought indeed

As soon as I got my last new laptop.. I turned off updates.. and never looked back..
    I'll look out for myself thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  16. foster911

foster911 Guest

The EDA (mostly IC designing) developing giants (Cadence, Synopsys, Mentor) tools are majorly based on Linux (not mac or win). They have chosen their path from the start.

All of the electronic companies use above tools for developing their products.

17. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Well, let me explain. Nobody buys OSes these days. That's why OS X comes free with Macs (plus the "just works" philosophy requires that, but moving on), and manufacturers pack Windows into their laptops. It's pretty hard to get a build without the OS, unless you're starting 100% from scratch. So they have to move on to something else. That's what Apple did already, Google does it as well, and lots of other companies. Instead of selling stuff (and getting little revenue from that because not many people buy it), they create free services (iCloud, Gmail, YouTube, OneDrive - choose your pick) and they sell bigger storage and stuff like that, as a subscription. That way they get a relatively stable source of income. And they have to compete all the time because there's a lot of others doing the same thing. So they're racing for "who makes the best free service in the world" because that means they're gonna get you into their ecosystem. Ever wondered why YouTube is free? And why is it so fast and reliable? Yes, it has to be. Same with Gmail. It's the best free email service for a reason - to get you to buy a GDrive subscription, to get you interested in Google Play, with their music and videos store and so on. Selling software is no longer the money maker, and everybody adapts to that change. That's why you see Avid selling Pro Tools and Sibelius as subscription, that's why Slate went with that model as well... Oh, another great example: Pro Tools First. They pretty much gave away the industry standard DAW with all the killer editing features and great sounding plugins for free - with a catch. You have to store your projects in their cloud and you have space for only 3 projects at a time, plus all additional plugins have to be bought through their store. So they're trying to get you to buy more storage, and plugins from that marketplace.

Anyway. That's how the economy works, Microsoft is not to blame, they had to do this to stay in business. Everybody had.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. mageye

mageye Producer

While you make some valid arguments there, you are aware that Linux and OS X are branches of the same tree (UNIX based systems)?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Unix_timeline.en.svg

19. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

The take of M$ and all the big corporations on the matter is indeed pretty obvious, I don't think making money needs so much detailled explanation.
    But the problem is elsewhere : for innovaion, novelty sakes, and ultimately for the economy to work, companies have to sell things that they produce.
    Getting users data (for A$$le and M$) for free and without they consent or knowledge and then selling said data for a fortune or getting your hand on products made by others (books, newspapers articles, SONGS MADE BY ARTISTS) for a 1/1000th of what it's worth, thanks to your monopolistic position (and the ton of money that crazy bankers keep throwing at your face), and distributing them while still making money with advertising (Google, Spotify and all the fuckers in the new music distribution business), is terrible practice.
    It's a horrible economical system, it's not viable for anyone long terme (producer and consumer), and it kills any spirit of innovation (which explains the lack of anything new in all the great products you just listed, and it's not going to get better). This economical model is one of the reason our world is so messed up.
    And if I could own my freaking OS I would own it, if M$ would only still sell it and take care of it.

20. mageye

mageye Producer

In short - the neo-classical economic model is unsustainable.