microsoft sound recorder

Discussion in 'Software' started by jd87, Oct 29, 2023.

1. jd87

jd87 Member

can't set the default sound recorder recording format in windows xp. even if i click convert format to CD quality it just stays at 22khz 8bit default in the about sound recorder window the next time i open it. i can record in 44khz 16 bit if i click convert format every time i open sr. Is there a reg key to manually change it? thanks

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

since very few people on here will be on XP and can check this for you, I will take a guess. Most of the time when a setting which is lower in the operating system or driver, etc that are set to a certain parameter; an application on top of that cannot override the other setting. It will just keep changing it back to the max setting dictated in the other place.

So if your sound card driver is at 22khz Mono, an audio editor will keep going back to that no matter what you change it to. That other setting is the highest settings you are going to get. In that situation, sometimes an application will allow you to set it to the higher setting; while in reality all you are going to get is the other as a result. You cannot force it to be a greater result; it just won't "argue with you" about it. Others will do what you have now, and keep resetting to that value; or they will grey out those options.

I haven't used WinXP in probably 20 years and newer Windows in 10, so this is my guess. See what driver it is using, what audio card, and Sound settings in Windows preferences and Control Panel. Try using ASIO4ALL driver and see if the Sound Recorder program lets you change it with another driver being used. Not to actually use the ASIO4ALL driver; just to figure out your problem. You could also try checking this with another audio recording program like SoundForge or Wavelab. I'd consider using one of those to record anything, either way. You can probably get away with using SF about version 6 or something. This will not have anything to do with your registry.

4. jd87

jd87 Member

ty. i have my sc @ 48khz so thats not the problem. why it doesn't change annoys me a little. i'm just trying to get it to wrk the way i want it. not that i'd actually use it much. ofc i have wavelab 5.01a h2o

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

well, when you say "CD Quality" it makes me think maybe you are looking in Speaker Properties, Advanced like this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-rate-to/5a6fa5b9-cda6-4def-8dfe-36c291c4f4f8

Your problem though, is going to be found in Control Panel/Device Manager, or Sound card driver/settings. What does Wavelab 5 do? If it works normally, then the issue is not the driver. (most likely).

6. jd87

jd87 Member

wavelab recording works fine its setting sr format that doesn't work my sc is audigy 4 pro

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

right. it doesn't help that Microsoft have no problem with changing how things are labelled from one version to the next, and there are 4 or 5 different places in Windows to check for settings like this. It would be way easier if someone with XP installed still could fumble around in there. Google will return so many results, so you really need to construct a good search string ( or wait for someone with XP )...

Most of the ones I have read quickly, the thread ends when the poster either reinstalls soundcard drivers or uses another program to record. SR only will record 60 seconds, apparently. I don't think I ever used it on XP, I would always use SoundForge.

8. jd87

jd87 Member

if i right click on any .wav file and click record i can use that with the format of the wav itself but settings do not save if i just click on sr. weird.

9. jd87

jd87 Member

Best Answer
    if anyone else has this issue (not likely but here it is anyway) i found the fix. mine was stuck on ''Radio Quality'' for who knows what reason and even then why wouldn't setting formats in sr work..? i have no idea. look in the registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Audio where it lists the presets "CD quality" "Radio quality" "Telephone quality" and you can redefine these by tweaking the data under the WaveFormats key. You can add additional ones using the Sound Selection dialog box itself