Microsoft Attempting To Frustrate Linux Users By False UEFI Limit

Discussion in 'Linux' started by quadcore64, Jul 14, 2022.

1. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

It would seem that Microsoft is trying to head off people from migrating to Linux now, and in the future with the coming demise of Windows 10 in 2025. Also due to issues with Windows 11 and various company policies/practices as of late.

The following articles shed a little light on what is going on for now.

Choosing a non-Windows OS on Lenovo Secured-core PCs is trickier than it should be
    https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/11/lenovo_secured_core/

A Microsoft coprocessor prevents Linux from booting on ThinkPad laptops
    https://techunwrapped.com/a-microsoft-coprocessor-prevents-linux-from-booting-on-thinkpad-laptops/

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. tnc

tnc Producer

"Therefore if your PC ships with Windows pre-installed, there is an additional step to be taken to install Linux (or boot into something else) involving a jump into the BIOS setup to enable the Microsoft 3rd Party UEFI Certificate once again."

So you just have to go into BIOS and enable ONE parameter?

That doesn't sound very intrusive to me. I always have both Win and Linux installed on my laptops so it better be easy to enable it... I will get a new Lenovo laptop in a month or so, let's see if this is a real problem or not. I always remove pre-installed OS's and do fresh installs where I know what software is installed.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

The UEFI limitation has no security benefit as admitted by Lenovo & Microsoft.

Lenovo claims that their pre-installed Linux systems do not have this issue. Microsoft posted a workaround that is not a real fix.

NVidia has been able to get away with this type of behavior not being an OS, but an imposed driver limitation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Little nag here, little nag there... and users don't want to go Linux because "it is hard" and MS is the one making it harder. It's nothing new, actually.

See, I will be able to install it on any computer until I die, just like you two, but less knowledgeable people will just give up. That's my point and what MS wants. :sad:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

MS just giving some new mileage to the Kali/RemoteExploit motto "Try Harder." I'm sure that will work out great.

7. Quantised Noise

Quantised Noise Producer

This is much more likely to be Lenovo being incompetent than MS being malicious

8. mrichi

mrichi Producer

I f you read the first article, you will see that Mark Pearson, from Lenovo, makes reference about how Secure-Core is implemented Lenovo.
    Would seem that Microsoft is requesting/requiring system makers to do it this way.

The same kind of BS from Microsoft with MacOS. Anyone remember that?

9. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

@7897898797978...Please explain your disagreement. Anyone can come in hot spitting & shouting at those gathered. The reasoned amongst us tend to get everyone's attention, explain, and ask questions (not necessarily in that order).

Unless the rules have changed for the Audiosex forum, dislike/disagree should include a reasoning of your disagreement. How else can we have open & productive dialog?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. livemouse

livemouse Producer

microsoft would be doing would be linux users a favor. if you want to get music made and not constantly be tinkering with command line crap for years and random hard operating system locking crashes and "xruns" every session, then probably avoid Linux. That is if you are remotely interested in relatively bleeding edge production techniques such as plugins.

11. barfly

barfly Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Another reason to deactivate SecureBoot. Fuck you MS!

Next notebook comes without preinstalled windows. not paying a single cent for it.

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

ah here we go again, I remember similar shit years back,
    it was some cheap ass deal between Microsoft and laptop manufacturers to cut costs down
    :chilling:

14. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Personally I don't bother with linux (not because microsoft controls me or because windblows is better, etc...) because it's not widely supported for production work, and too unstable (using commercial warez) overall to depend on day in day out. The majority of warez is sent up for win/mac and sometimes linux as well but too often not... Plus new installs (or uninstalls even) on linux are usually 1 day safari's which more often end up as tail chasing sessions resulting in too much wasted time fooling around with the system rather than doing production. just MHO... Production machine operating systems should be seen and never heard from making the production workflow smoother not bumpier...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023