Microphone for Dialogue ($100-250) range

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Mixtic, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Mixtic

Mixtic Guest

I am currently developing a mini horror series with practically no budget except for out of pocket. I am planning on investing in a zoom H5/H6, but I am curious if there are any good microphones for picking up clear dialogue in the $100-250 range that I can line to an H5/H6.
    I have also heard that proper cables make a massive difference, and am curious if I can get recommendations for those as well.
    Thank you

3. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Is that Mic to record a podcast, or is it a film/video horror series? Where are you recording?
    In the budget you have (which should be raised) cables won't make the difference.

4. Mixtic

Mixtic Guest

It is to film a horror series. And as of now I can’t raise the budget, my partner and I are both broke college kids just living check to check. I’m just trying to see if there are any decent mics that can save me from spending my month’s rent. We should be filming both indoors and outdoors. I.e. Inside cars, bedrooms, hallways, and outside sequences in a Forrest.

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Lavalier mic or boom mic? Or ADR/voic-over mic?

6. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

First idea: find a soundguy for free or little money (with equipment) that wants tot get into a horror project. We sometimes do, as it can be lots of fun! There's probably a FB group or site in your country where film and sound people gather..
    Second: rent stuff. Rental houses usually do discounts when renting for longer periods.
    Third: look for second hand gear.

Minimal equipment: you need a shotgun mic with wind protection for outside recording, a boom, preferably a radiomic per actor, plus other mics for interior use. That'll easy exceed your budget, not worth to put money in for one project alone.

Budget shotgun-mics: Deity Pro S, Rode NTG series.
    Budget wind protection: Dead Cat.
    Boom pole: K-Tek, Rode.
    Cheaper radiomics: Sennheiser G3/G4.
    That will cost you a couple of 100 bucks renting, per week..

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Balanced cables - any will work, however, for me cable with Neutrik connectors are important.

8. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Clip on mic would be good for the dialogue part

9. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2019
  10. Mixtic

Mixtic Guest

Well for the heck of it why not both, but primarily a boom microphone for my case. I can see a lav mic being more convenient for certain scenes.

11. Owan

Owan Kapellmeister

Imho a lovely combo in addition to Zoom H5/H6 would be:

Rode M2 (very neutral handheld condenser vocal mic for studio and live purpose)
    any Cordial Neutrik XLR cable
    Pop Audio pop filter
    Rode PSA-1 boom arm

12. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

A used Rode NTG1/2/3 (with blimp and boom) is a great start.
    If you want a good budget lav mic, check out the BOYA BY-M1 mic which can be found very cheap. Two of them (for dialogue) won't break the bank.

13. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

A second hand/good condition sennheiser mkh 416 p48 will prolly be the very best mic for the job.

A "bit wee" over your budget, but can from time to time be found to a desent price.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  14. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

If you can't find anyone to do your sound, and don't want to rent, it looks like your budget can only buy 1 mic. (well.. half a mic:sad:).
    Therefore I'd choose a hypercardioid type.
    They give good results up to 2 ft from a mouth - so will fit most drama-speech situations if boomed from above.
    Shotguns shouldn't be used inside an untreated room, and are too big for your car scenes anyhow.

Octava MK012 comes to mind; a very affordable SDC that has hypercardioid capsules. Also get a furry for outside use
    and a shockmount cause these mics are way too sensitive to just hold. For a boom: be creative, go DIY!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...11.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=oktava+mk-012
    (look for the hypercardioid type or film edition, not the cardioid)

https://www.amazon.com/Gutmann-Microphone-Windshield-Windscreen-MK-012-01/dp/B01MR8LGMJ

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM4R--rode-sm4-r-rycote-lyre-suspension-shock-mount

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+boom+pole+

15. Mixtic

Mixtic Guest

I really appreciate your responses, I believe that the best option for me right now is to hire someone to do sound. I would hope that they would enjoy it, and I think that if things go well I would then have gained a very valuable connection in the end.

16. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

When done shooting & editing, I could help you with the audio-post side of things (FX, mixing) if you like.
    But it's best to get a local for that as well.

17. Mixtic

Mixtic Guest

That sounds great thank you!

18. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Boom Boom!!:like: