Microphone boom for piano recording

Discussion in 'Studio' started by liu85, Feb 24, 2018.

1. liu85

liu85 Newbie

Hi
    I have a cheap capacitor microphone cad gxl 2200bp https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cad-gxl2200bp-condenser-microphone#imagecarousel and I would like to make some experiments recording a piano.
    For me is the first time so it's a new experience.
    I would like to keep the mic horizontal , like in this video

What kind of mic boom do you suggest?
    I am also thinking to buy another mic in order to using spaced pair technique. What kind of mic do you suggest? (Cheap).
    I was thinking to a mic good also to record the chinese harp Guzheng or other instruments. Maybe shure sm58/57?

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Condenser mikes are usually used for piano and other acoustic instruments. In the three techniques shown here, he is using cardioid pattern in the 1st two and a figure 8 pattern for the third. SM57's are one the most versatile dynamic cardioid mics on the planet, but probably not the best choice here. I have used them to mic pianos in live situations, because the high gain of condenser mics makes controlling feedback more difficult. For booms, the heavier the mic the more counterweight you need, and there are attachments for putting two mics on one stand, which makes XY set up easier.

4. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Side note: I still don’t know why the single mic technique isn’t employed today as much as it was in the past. I mean we have all these hipsters who want to sound retro. Why not do it like all those famous pop ballads of the 60s/70s...

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. liu85

liu85 Newbie

Thanks everyone for the answers I will make some experiments!