Michael Jackson Bass Sound

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Hughie521324, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Hughie521324

Hughie521324 Noisemaker

Can anyone tell me what this bass sound is?

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I recall that they used alot of DX7 on the Bad album. So I say FM synthesis.

4. liquidlove

liquidlove Ultrasonic

Yeah, it's an FM sound for sure. Also note that they used the "beast" of FM synthesis, the Synclavier. And they also doubled and fattened FM/DX bass with a MiniMoog a lot.

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

another example of the DX7 bass very prominent... doesn't even sound layered to me

6. relexted

relexted Producer

Just a patch.

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

DX7II, Jupiter 8,some Fairlight and the brand new at the time Roland D50 were used in the Bad album. But the most used on that album as mentioned, was the Synclavier. Other highlights should include your very familiar (Spectrasonics founder) Eric Persing did some programming in the album as well.
    Btw, i know it's irrelevant, but from time to time, i have read posts around the net and in here, about Persing like how he got fat and lazy since he got money or how he lost weight or how Omnisphere sucks (what ?!!! u deaf boys?) and blah blah, mostly written by ppl who have no idea who the person is and are there just to make an impression. To those kids, stfu please, the guy is a legend and has given his life and creativity to the world since the days he was programming sounds for Roland, a good 30+ years in the industry. Learn to appreciate and grow some depth in your thick skulls you ignorant preecks.
    Happy new year to everybody

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. Hughie521324

Hughie521324 Noisemaker

Thanks everyone! thank god none of ye was aborted :D