metering x64

Discussion in 'Software' started by lysergyk, Oct 11, 2011.

1. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

do you know 3rd party vst meters that are good...the only requirement (besides precision and flexibility of course)is that it is native 64bits...not because it will be better but just it doesn't need a wrapper as I run a 64 bits DAWs...I coulnt find one...it seems they are all 32bits ....I only saw the sonalksis freeG, but I guess there should be other alternatives out there...if it is big it's better, as I like when I see tings clearly!lol

thanks for your help

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

iZotope Ozone 4 and Meldaproduction Mtotalbundle : manalyzer both have some sort of meters, and are advertised to have an x64 version on audioz. Those are two that I have, but I don't use them primarily for metering.

EDIT: http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Bundle_FreewarePack/ also has an x64 version of FreqAnalyst.

4. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

The Dorrough Meters from Waves are great but alas 32 bit.

My mama always said: Put a wrapper on it.

5. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

lol, but thats exactly my problem...i have a lot of meters...but 99% are 32 bits...as for ozone4 i have it too but that sounds like overdoing it a bit to have an insert using ozone just for metering...well i reckon I'll stick to sonalksis until manufacturers decide to go the x64 road

6. nick1980webb

nick1980webb Newbie

This one looks nice and its 64 bit http://www.klanghelm.com/

7. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yep it's only 5 euros and 64bits but kinda oldschool, reminds me of the meters you have on old stereo systems ....I was looking for something a bit more advanced/modern actually, but size-wise its good otherwise

found that in case someone is interested

http://dsp.sonimus.com/products/satson/

8. SHRF

SHRF Newbie

isn't the DIY meter from brainworx 64bit? can't remember....thats a greg meter to use tho.

9. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

not yet I believe...bt brainworx prices are a bit steep...100$ (or more) for a peak meter...well...

I guess I'll have a look at that first...

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_DPeakMeterPro/

10. davemark

davemark Banned

NUGEN!!!

11. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

ouch! more than 300 euros for a meter...it's better do it well! lol...audiozzzzzz :rofl:

12. Burninstar

Just wondering what DAW are you using, and why it is such a problem to run 32 bit plugins.

I am thinking that meters would not need much memory or extra speed.

I use a 64 bit host, and still run 32 bit plugins when I can't find the 64 bit versions.

Everything seems to work together very well.

13. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

its not really a problem, its just that as I have a 64bits DAW I prefer to have most of my plugins in 64bits, in so far as it is possible of course...also I recently tried S1 and so far unless you use jbridge (which I dont like much, but I dont have any other choice!) you cannot use 32bit plug-ins...thats chiefly why I was asking....my main DAW is sonar so no worries...but as I'm not too satisfied with the workflow, I was considering moving to a new one ...like S1...but not sure yet as after a few test the audio engine seems a bit crippled!

14. Burninstar

I tried to jbridge all my plugins to run at 64 bit, when my host DAWs upgraded to 64 bit. It caused more problems than it was worth. I do not use the jbridge anymore.

Some DAWs use their own transparent internal wrapper. This allows you to use any plugins you desire. They seem to handle the problem better.

I've also noticed the plugins that have updated to 64 bit work the same, sound the same and act no different then the 32 bit ones.

Exceptions being memory hogs like Kontakt with many instruments loaded up.

The trend is for the developers to upgrade plugins to 64 bit, but some may not, or may take a while, eventually I think we will have almost all 64 bit plugs.

If your thinking of trying a different DAW, and use a lot of plugins, try one that lets you use 32 & 64 bit plugins without jbridge.

Good luck and Keep Creating

15. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

yep I agree with that but I found S1 to be pretty good and fast to work with but I actually went back to sonar as S1 handles multi threading like sh$t and it only accepts 64 bits plugins...so at the moment it is really needed that these two shortcomings be addressed if its developers want to be taken seriously...like most people, I'm not sold on the idea of buying a crippled piece of software, hoping that one day it will become a fully fledged workstation! (thanks audioz for letting us try!)

if I need to use a lot of plug ins I'll use reaper, and export the files to use them in sonar....that's the decision I took so far ..and I'll stick to that until things move ahead *yes*