Metal Mixing advice for sample based guitars

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by MFShreddage, Jan 29, 2024.

1. clone

clone Audiosexual

i am getting a tiny little bit of crackling or something. Maybe it is just a Soundcloud problem, it's only in a few short spots. If you are going to skip any compression or saturation, i'd probably check what I might get for results using a clipper next. Especially with the little distortion spots I am hearing.

2. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

I wanted to test a few plugins so I played around with your first example and threw it into an absolutely revolting mix:
    https://vocaroo.com/1e9ZqiSPEn6O

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  3. genlab

genlab Ultrasonic

DCMA can look at other places....

4. MFShreddage

MFShreddage Kapellmeister

I'm not going skip processing,I uploaded to know your opinion

5. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I think the tone is pretty much fine. 95%+ of what's left in terms of realism is in the MIDI performance and not in improving the mix. It sounds a bit robotic and choppy sometimes.

If this is Shreddage, here's a couple ideas (it'll never sound 100% realistic): try the staccato articulation for short notes and switch back to sustain for longer notes. Try sliding out at the end of a bar. Really try all the layers for mutes. Try leading with bends. Vibrato for long notes. Overlapping notes of different pitches and velocity 55-69 -> hammer on/offs "legato" (this was changed in recent versions, check in Kontakt). Try tremolo for really fast parts instead of machine gunning the same note 500 times.

The makers of Shreddage, Impact Soundworks, published a series on realistic metal guitar programming on their YouTube recently (~4 months ago, about an hour in total). It's worth watching.

bitkaster on YouTube is the only other useful resource for Shreddage programming tips I've found. His accent is very strong though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. MFShreddage

Creative, I think the guitar sound needed a little boost, but i like that:wink::phunk:
    Which plug did you use for it?

7. MFShreddage

it's shreddage hydra.
    good tips,Thank you.
    i watched some of bitkaster videos and impact soundworks videos.

8. MFShreddage

i found Those new videos in impact soundworks youtube, Thank you.

9. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

https://vocaroo.com/1e9ZqiSPEn6O
    I boosted the guitars a bit so you can hear them better.
    After I double tracked your guitars, I EQ'd each track with a stock EQ to roll off the highs and the lows.

I then added some slight Laboga Chainsaw Distortion to one track.

On the guitar bus, all I did was:

and then used SSL E Channel Strip EQ to taste into the Purple Audio MC77 for slight glue compression

Not sure if anything is useful here but hope it helps. :dunno:

10. Gnosisrausch

Gnosisrausch Kapellmeister

This sounds like typical guitar VSTi tracks, and while those aren't necessarily bad per se, it's still always a night and day difference to real guitar tracks, unless you program them supremely well. I actually wonder why this is the case with all of the guitar VSTis that have come out until today (at least those that I know). Is it really that hard to offer a product that leads to better results much faster?
    For myself, I have created a virtual rhythm guitar simply by playing tremolo picked chords and turning them into a Kontakt instrument, and those work far better for a simple and realistic "wall of sound" in the background than those weird-sounding power chords from shreddage etc. The strange thing is also that not only the playing mechanics are oftentimes not really ideal in those guitar VSTIs, but also the basic sound of the guitar. For instance, the Shreddage guitars often have a really weird and artificial sounding honkiness and muddiness to them that's almost impossible to EQ out, while Prominy V-Metal, which is otherwise excellent, sounds like a lot of the usual frequencies of a guitar have been cut out, and especially the single notes (which are excellently performed in V-Metal) need a lot of extra saturation in the low frequencies to sound realistic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. MFShreddage

It is usefull, why not, many thanks
    Thanks for plugs and videos,

12. MFShreddage

all of guitar vsts/libs lack of something and sometimes many things, unfortunately for now Im stuck with those Vsts/libs and my only way is to learn tricks for midi programming to make my guitar tracks sound better.
    you said you made a kontakt instrument and it sound good, why this companies with a lot of equipment and experience and big teams can not make an acceptable one? Why don't they show how people use the product they made?
    There is a guitar lib : axe machina, I watched videos and reviews about it and it seems it's better than others. hope that's not another bs lib.

13. MFShreddage

in your opinion between guitar vsts/libs which one is better, sound/details/easier to use(midi programming)/more realistic?

14. Gnosisrausch

Gnosisrausch Kapellmeister

I like Prominy V-Metal for lead parts. Otherwise, the Ample Metal Hellrazer seems very capable if you do the necessary work to get into it (which I couldn't bring myself to do yet).

15. MFShreddage

I'm going to test V-metal, i like some of options of ample guitars, I hope learn how can program midi with it.
    Thank you

16. cyx

cyx Newbie

are you checking off 3x sampling on the heallraiser? and using random sample cycling? are you maximizing swing and humanization tabs?

bogren digital amps are the best i think. the evh is my favourite

17. MFShreddage

I have not changed hellrazers default settings yet, I'm going to test.
    I have not used bogren, usually i use guitar rig, bias amp, neural dsp and in the past ik amplitube.

18. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

:like:
    Good advice that. I'm not a metal head but this is good advice universally. I would also suggest that you pick the best guitar lib's possible. They are not all created equal and there are quite a few crappy ones. The better your BASE guitar sound the more you will have to work with in post. For guitars I use a library that has the best and/or clean sound possible then fire up the amp sim and work from that. Working from good libraries can make all the difference. Also, using real guitar articulations like bends, expression, picks and strums, etc make all the difference to the end result. A good guitar lib will have them all (articulations) plus a lot more. For guit lib's I have all ample's, NI's, 8-DIO's, and I am now checking out the new version musiclabs that just dropped a few days ago. All good base libraries. For sim's depending on the track TH-U (latest full version with extras) and Guitar rig... I would suggest AA Aero, but in order to use that you would have to have a super-computer from the NSA or some such...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  19. MFShreddage

I agree, I've tested nearly all metal guitar libraries, and now I only use a select few that I believe are superior. Each one has its own strengths and weaknesses, and yes utilizing articulations and techniques does indeed make a significant difference.