Metal Mixing advice for sample based guitars

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by MFShreddage, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Good tips here. I'd add a couple of ones into the mix (no pun intended?):

Double your guitar tracks, I don't mean audio FX trickery, but clone your guitar sample track, and play the MIDI slightly differently, timing/velocity wise, or use a humanizer MIDI effect on *both* tracks for small variations. Then use identical FX chain after that. This is traditionally how you get a thicker guitar sound. Pan differently, and send to a buss with slight buss compression for a more gelled/unified sound.

EQ frequencies are important, some good tips here already, but this depends on your tunings, but before boosting the low end, try highpassing as much as you can (this can be from 40Hz to 90Hz almost), then EQ it something like: boost the lows from 80 to 120Hz and a fairly high-Q dip at around 230-270Hz to get rid of muddiness. Sometimes guitarists low EQ their guitars before hitting the amp/distorting for better control over the saturated tone. Be careful not to loose the "chunk" sound for rhythm guitars though! Then for a scooped tone you are probably doing a mid frequency dip on the amp already, but sometimes a small and wide dip on the mids, say around 500-1000Hz helps things sit netter on the mix. For more presence (after distortion, if your amp sim has a presence circuit, play around with that as well) upper mids can be slightly boosted, anywhere from 2kHz to 6kHz. Really harsh guitars might need taming in that area though, somewhere around 6 to almost 8 kHz.

But that's just my style, mostly fit for my own playing/guitar/FX chain, so play around, of course.

Learn basic things like guitar voicings for chords, they're way more open than your usual keyboard closed chords. A basic 5th is (root-fifth-octave), a minor chord is (root-fifth-octave-minor third-fifth-octave) so Emin (E2 pitch) would be: E2-B2-E3-G3-B2-E4.

Also picking technique plays an important role, for slower chord chunk-chunks especially with palm mutes it's all downstrokes, whereas fast riffs would be down- and upstrokes. If you haven't got a keyswitch for these, use a slightly smaller velocity for the upstrokes. Also strummed chords are usually played with an down-up pattern, and they're basically fast arpeggios, so stagger your notes slightly for a more authentic sound.

2. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Difficult to tell without having heard an example of where you're at and examples of where you want to go.

You mention palm mutes specifically. Shreddage (Hydra) has 4 or 5 layers of mutes from most muted to least muted. For most percussive, least ringy & tonal, the most muted layer is the most useful.

What do you mean by 'not clean'? Overwhelmed by lows? With 7/8/9 strings you might want to try something that cuts even more lows than a Tube Screamer, like a Fortin Grind/33.

3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

can you show us example of the guitar tracks ?

4. EyelessFRL

EyelessFRL Member

Hi, most of the tips are good. I used sampled guitars for about 10 years (til i decided to buy a real guitar and learn how to play, but i can totally relate to your situation, i experienced a lot of frustration not being able to get convincing results). Humanization is key, and also "double-tracking" , using 2 instances of the library with 2 midi tracks, with different humanization (velocities & timing....its gonna take some time). Also, genre matters a lot....industrial, djent, brutal death metal, modern metalcore, are easier than 80s heavy metal. Also, there´s a video from the Joey Sturgis channel with some advice about this

5. Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight Kapellmeister

If these V-Guitars offer sample midi where the performances sound more real, take the midi and dump it into your DAW and study the velocity aspect of the performance and by mimicking what you see, this will help you create more realism when you dont know how.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. MFShreddage

MFShreddage Kapellmeister

days ago i used izotope neutron But it did not have a significant effect on sound
    i'm going to search fir good tips and tricks.
    Thank you.

7. MFShreddage

Thank you so much 0on3
    Because I'm not a guitar player and I don't know anyone who is, I never thought about it.
    this is really helpful

8. MFShreddage

For now, I can't, maybe in future

9. MFShreddage

I searched for this, not available on sister site

10. MFShreddage

I have seen tutorials on playing the guitar but you are right to make it realistic is hard but it can be done. It may be impossible to achieve the best, but something acceptable can be achieved.
    unfortunately I don't want use premade riffs.
    I watched a review about soundiron axe machina and from reviews I think it sounds better than other libraries and programing it is easier.

11. MFShreddage

good trick, I always use double tracking (2 different library/plugin for example hydra with hellrazer, and in some situations it got an acceptable result)but not with different velocities and ...
    Thank you for the video:thanks:

12. MFShreddage

Good idea, I think ample sound guitars have this option.Thanks

13. MFShreddage

I'm going to spend time for those tips and it's f****g Lovely:headbang:
    Thank you so much

14. MFShreddage

I will upload an example

15. MFShreddage

I will upload an example

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

Neutron is for Mixing. Visual Mixing and AI-style based suggestions. Izotope Trash2 is just a distortion and convolution. If you have a fast/modern computer I would check out Nebula4. The. "expansions" (ir based products) that people often rate most highly are from Tim Pethernick, AlexB, Cupwise, Henry Olango, and some others. But that would get you looking in the right places for that stuff. Most of the others I mentioned are for general mixing purposes and are primarily algorithm based.

17. MFShreddage

i Copied soundcloud link to forum media option but it shows this:
    You have not provided a valid SoundCloud URL. Learn more about using SoundCloud players.

18. MFShreddage

Solves, Thanks

19. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I think all the tracks are already nicely processed there's nothing much left to be done except for EQing it to fit the mix. They are layered, spread, dense and tight enough to be in the mix. Maybe just some Room depends on the overall track's vibe. Stay away from the compression or saturation, if the track sounds like those 3 examples, it will do more harm than good. You only need EQ to make them co-exist nicely with the bass and other elements. If you can't do just with the EQ, it means the problem is within the other tracks not the guitars.

20. MFShreddage

Thank you
    there is no processing, just dry signal+amp, one of tracks is layered.