Metal guy starts with EDM project

Discussion in 'Music' started by Apex Mors Cordis, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Apex Mors Cordis

Apex Mors Cordis Kapellmeister

Hi everybody,

I am totally new to audiosex.pro but I was reading a lot here. Now the time is right to create an account because I have something to tell.

After almost 20 years of making Metal (my band is Mors Cordis and its still active) I started with my own EDM production project named T.I.L.I.D.I.N. (-> tilidin.eu). It is all about EDM vs. Guitars (especially in a metal way ;-)).

I released my first track (free to download from Bandcamp) "Freakwave". Feel free to comment.

Best regards, Apex

• Like Like x 12
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Impressive

Impressive Guest

First of all, let me be among the first to say... welcome to the forum! You will have a lot of fun here and learn a lot.

Second of all, I just listened to your track. It's very exotic, indeed. It's always good to explore new territories while still keeping one foot in your roots. I personally plan on doing this more often in the future. 2018 for me will be a year of curiosity and exploration of new territories. Not just in music but in life in general.
    This is actually surprisingly good for someone who is metal-oriented. Would be interesting to hear what else you have. Your old stuff, what you make in the future, etc. Don't be afraid to share these in the "Our music" section. We will give professional feedback where it's needed/desired. But no hate.

Again, I welcome you aboard and hope you enjoy this place. :cheers:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. electriclash

electriclash Guest

Nice work Apex; lot going on in there! Well done, thanks for the share! Welcome to the forum :cheers::cheers:

5. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

nice work
    clear sound, what do you work with ? ( samples, synths, .. what DAW ? )

it's not about you personally, but I always thought people come here the wrong way, they're musicians asking other musicians what they think of their music... well, we're all in the same fleet ( of pirates, for some )

your tune makes me think of what Celldweller do, or some of his teammates.
    I like the mix metal & EDM

my preference goes to songs, instrumental music has always bored me, unless it rapidly changes of moods and structures.

great potential, nice if you could share a little bit about the making of your track :)

:mates:

6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I THINK ITS COOL, be realgood for some action scenes in tv series, movies and commercials.
    have you explored the idea of marketing your music for those areas?

for fun...........

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. Bandit

Bandit Producer

I agree.... I can hear a hardcore/gabber remix in this as well haha. Nice job.

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Excellent stuff, man. :wink: Very well mixed, a bit too limited for my taste, but allaround really pro-job. It shows that you've been producing music for many years and have some good tools to work with, or at least good monitors and good room. :wink:

An idea for you: give a listen to some of this new fad called metal-step... you might like it. It's dub-step with metal guitar riffs, obviously... :headbang:

9. DarkLizzard

DarkLizzard Member

Yes please :yes:

10. Gwydion

Gwydion Kapellmeister

man, the sound is really good but the arrangement is shitty as hell. Your arrangement is just plain horrible :disco:

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

EDM is notorious already so please don't stain it more with steppy and metal junk.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Gwydion

Gwydion Kapellmeister

what do you mean ?

13. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Quite interesting, but actually, as a Metaller, the Metal doze is much less than the EDM, so I don't call this Metal. However, the actual music is well done :wink:
    Metal is notorious already so please don't stain it more by steppy and EDM junk. :facepalm:

14. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Very nice :metal: This has the Metal doze that I am acoustomed to :guitarhero:

15. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

http://www.freakwave-music.de/label-artists.html
    Here are some links ;)
    Nice track. Try some breakdowns and variations, in a metal way.

I don't think it is really "EDM" and Metal
    It is more Drum'n Bass and Metal

Funny, because my next project is blending Drum'n Bass, hardstyle,industrial,goth... and 90's Thrash metal :wink:
    Like this...:wink:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. foster911

foster911 Guest

Nothing bro! was just a background noise, tune it out and enjoy your musical journey.:wink:

17. somethin

somethin Member

Very nice, what was the inspiration for this project?

18. Apex Mors Cordis

Hi everyone,

first of all I want to say thank you for all your comments. I did not expect so much kind people and I will try to answer.

@Impressive :cheers:
    Well. As said it is the first track I wanted to release somehow, to see reactions for such crossover music. At the moment my other work for this project is in queue and will be released in 2018 (at least this is my plan). So there is more to come and i will let you all know :grooves:
    My history is almost completely band-related. My band Mors Cordis (which is also somewhere in between the styles) started out in 1998 and with it I learned how to produce, mix and so on. In my band I am the vocalist but also responsible for the production, keys, FX, arrangements. I will post some stuff here. We also want to release a new album this year.

@electriclash :cheers: :cheers:

@black bounty :mates:
    I am working with Cubase 64-bit 5 (last official update from Steinberg) on Windows 7. I have a license :).
    The drums are samples (I like the 80s sounding toms in the track a lot). Guitars were played by one of my band mates. I recorded directly and sent it through some plugs to get the sound (NI Guitar Rig -> keFIR_v1 (and a good speaker IR)). I am not completely fine with the guitar sound but i think it does the job. The main bass is from NI Massive as well as the layered reese basses. The hoover is from Sylenth1.
    Mainly I tweaked presets to get it. The voice is a NI Kontakt lib (Rast Sounds MidEast Vocals) and "Freakwave" is my voice with some processing on it (Pitchshifter -> IL Vocodex (as send)). Doubled, tripled. Other vocals are samples.

it's not about you personally, but I always thought people come here the wrong way, they're musicians asking other musicians what they think of their music... well, we're all in the same fleet ( of pirates, for some )

You're right. But here you get a serious answer with additional value. If I play the track to non-musicians they just say ... nice (or not). Most of the time you do not get an answer about the details or they don't listen exactly. So this is why musicians ask what others think. And of course if 99% of the people tell you its unlistenable or has major problems (in production, mixing, mastering) you have a direction one can work with (or leave it).

I stop here. And will do the rest a little bit later. This is an awesome forum! :like::thanks::mates:

19. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

this makes me want to play Command and Conquer: Red Alert

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Apex Mors Cordis

Hello again,

@MMJ2017 :wink:
    Well marketing and advertising is my big problem (and besides that I do not like this kind of work). I often hear that my music is ideal for action movie stuff, commercials and so on. But I simply have absolutely no contacts in this business. Additionally my time for music is very limited (full time job) and then I decide to make music instead of trying to spread it. So if someone has serious contacts -> tell me. And then follows the next problem. All the managers, booking people, labels are just looking for an easy fish. If you do not have thousands of Facebook likes they are simply not interested. Today no one wants to build up an artist/band. But perhaps I never met the right people :dunno:.
    Btw. Are you this drummer? It's awesome.

@Bandit & @DarkLizzard :yes:
    Well the project is really "EDM vs. Guitars" (its covering more EDM styles). So yes this is clearly a drum & bass track. But I already did an hardstyle (slower -> not really gabba) track (will be on my upcoming first EP "The Gateway Drug"). I will let you know when its mastered. :headbang:. Btw. I have no problem with remixes. In my early days this was the way I explored new artists.

@SineWave :wink:
    Thanks for your words. I always work hard to get the sound. And of course I know and like this Metalstep stuff. And I also did it. Will be on my upcoming EP. :headbang:

@Gwydion :dunno:
    Can you explain a bit more? I know the track is very hectic with lots of breaks and jumps from one theme to the next without a lot repetition. But I need to say I like it and I often work like this (in my EDM tracks). For me it is always boring hearing 20 minute tracks with one theme and just a little movement. But every musician has its own receipt. And I am willing to learn. So please tell me more.

@foster911 I am ok with that :cool:
    I like the harder EDM styles. And yes there is a lot of this music out there. This is why I want to add something different. I am very interested in crossing styles. But of course I can understand that you are tired of this. So all I can say is: Ignore me ... just kidding :cheers:

@metaller :winker:
    Yes. Thats why I called it "EDM vs. Metal (or Guitar)" and not "Metal vs. EDM". So the base here is clearly EDM (in this case drum & bass). As stated out I am also vocalist in a metal band and can live out my metal side there:metal:. If you're interested my band is named "Mors Cordis". But new stuff is on the way, so what you will find is older.

@Pipotron3000 :hifive:
    Yes. I will try to add more metal breaks in future releases. And as told the project is EDM and Metal, but this track is Drum & Bass and Metal so you're right. And Zardonic: it's awesome and it was an inspiration for this track. I look forward to hear from your new project going in that direction.:like: Let me know, when there is something to listen to.

@somethin
    I heard the new EDM styles (about 2010-2013) esp. Brostep (yes the first skrillex releases!) and that heavy dubstep stuff from Datsik, Excision (Rottun Recordings), Zomboy and so on. Can't name em all. At this time (or shortly before that) I was looking for some inspiration and found these (at that time) new styles. I liked the monster bass sounds, growls and drops. So I learned a how to create these sounds and started to produce as well. Historically I was really influenced by Hip Hop (esp. Public Enemy with their 90s releases), 90s Techno and Rave (esp. Prodigy but also others). Later I became a metalhead and started to mix the electronic styles with metal. I am still listening to a lot of music styles (Hip Hop, World, Classical, EDM and Metal) and always want to combine things which I like from each genre. So after some years of learning and producing I am here to spread my vision of crossover and release it.

Ok guys I think it was a lot to answer. Let the discussion go on.

Regards, Apex

21. foster911

foster911 Guest

Thank you my friend! TBH, I've never had a great time listening to two categories of western music in my whole life. The first one is Jazz, and the other one is Hardcore. Of course there're other ones too to the added to the list. I really don't know what their creators want to say. The first one is wasting of notes and the second one is wasting of sounds.:dunno: