Message from D16 Group for Drumazon & Phoscyon users

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by D-Music, May 8, 2021.

1. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

So I've asked them for some more info about the above message on their site and received a detailed explanation about this subject. Might be interesting for other users as well!

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

What do they mean by MacOS 11? 10.11 is Sierra and it works with it. Is the MacOS for M1 v11.00? Yeah, it's probably that. I wasn't aware of that change, but it sounds logical since they changed whole lotta stuff in the OS to be able to work with M1 CPU.

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

On a sidenote:
    I would be furious as Dev, what Apple pulls of with every new number, that a lot of applications stop working. Even excluding here the recent M1 CPU change.
    Apple changes regular things in their OS, without caring if they break backwards compatibility for devs.

While on Windows 10 software from 2000 still works (Fruity Loops).

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  5. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

If this is positive or negative depends on the point of view (shortened of course):

MacOS
    user: If one is a user with all new hardware and software (or updates everything regularily), he will be greatful that everything he owns works really flawlessly up to 100%.
    But for those who don't/can't change their hard-/software every two years, it's not that nice. Apple doesn't care much about customers with older equipment.
    Windows user: The backwords compatibility for 20+ years is great for Windows users with older or mixed new/old equipment.
    On the other hand the main reason for problems with windows is the great backwards compatibility Windows has. MS has to observe myriads of possible hard-/software combinations. And a lot of times there are problems for some thousand users with nearly every update.
    At the moment AMD users having trouble with BOD because of an automatically installed hardwaredriver for NVMe SSDs.
    (I've never had a Windows system (hard-/software) that worked 100% but most of the time maybe ~90%)

From a developer's point of view, I don't think Apple and MS are very different in terms of effort.
    Sure, with Apple, parts of the code have to be constantly rewritten.
    On the other hand, Windows' enforced backwards compatibility means a lot of maintenance effort and constantly growing codebase for a single program (sometimes you may not even know parts of the code thoroughly enough because the function you call was written by someone else in the 90ies). In addition, there is also a lot of back and forth at MS, and projects that are started and stopped after a short time.

As we always see: It depends.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Big Sur. Because they still work on Catalina (10.15.7) but not anymore (properly) on Big Sur unfortunately.

7. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

People still using Apple in 2021?

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. ArticStorm

Problem with mac is that stuff works on one major update perfect and breaks quickly with another update, not the case with windows, there is a hardcut with windows.

the actual problem with Apple is to force people to buy new hardware, adding several restrictions in the OS itself.

EDIT:
    anyway, i didnt want to start an OS war here, it just came to my attention. And as it looks M1 looks like a major step forward in power.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  9. spncart

spncart Producer

The benefits of the M1 max power, stability and no-fan/no-heat greatly outweigh the fact that yes 2 or 3 plugins might still not be working perfectly out of my 650 other ones running flawlessly... period.

Yes you have to be on the lookout with Apple and keep things up to date, but I could never get back to Windows after 15 years of using Mac.

Also I think after this Big Sur transition it will be a lot smoother in the next updates, since this one was a special change in CPU architecture build.

Same will happen with Windows in a few months when they will transition to ARM as well.

Sorry not sorry :)

10. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Just curious but as far as I know a lot of tools are not compatible yet (following the warnings from developers) but most of them do actually work? I'm asking because I might want to buy one when the 24" version will be available in my region but I don't want to run in a lot of issues while at this moment everything works on my Intel iMac from 2019 running Catalina and LPX (AU). (I like to have everything I use uptodate so that's why I might consider the switch)

11. spncart

spncart Producer

Yes, vst/plugins do work for 99% of them. Most compatibility issues arising have to do with hardware drivers actually, such as UAD and Elektron. So you might be cautious if relying heavily on them because last time I checked they were still under development. UAD has a workaround which requires to boot in recovery mode: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360057137692-Apple-Silicon-M1-Compatibility-Info It works but I wouldn't want to venture there myself for now, too much work and not worth if the update is coming soon - still no workaround for LUNA though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. smegma

smegma Noisemaker

Probably gonna sell my Mac or forget about it and let it collect dust because I'm tired of all that apple bullshit. Overpriced products that are not better than products that require Windows. Never gonna spend a penny on that company's products

13. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

yup. and with machines from 2009/2012/2014 still working great.

ROI on these machines has been excellent.

14. ArticStorm

I agree with you, but from what i read and saw people reporting, the M1 is really a powerful game changer.

Lets hope MS makes something similar out of it for its ARM?

Sorry for turning this into a Mac/Apple bashing.

Actual i guess it will be a lot of work for a dev team like D16 has it to convert to M1? For Ableton also took it while from what i saw in teh Beta forums. Hope it works after that splendid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I'm guessing you don't use an ipad. Old ones get more and more broken with each iteration of the operating system. I'm pretty sure it's an intentional business strategy to persuade people to upgrade their hardware. Phones are the same.

No idea about the computers though. I was devoted to them for years -- from the IIcx to the Titanium Power Book. I'm tempted by being able to use Logic again, but still not tempted enough to buy their shitty, user-unservicable hardware, I'm afraid.

16. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Ah that’s useful info indeed as I’m using an Apollo Twin so it’s maybe better to wait a bit longer yes and first make the step to Big Sur (before newest LPX updates won’t work anymore). I’m also reading a lot about ‘Rosetta’ btw but not sure what it is.

17. kh_minusone

kh_minusone Guest

In a nutshell, Rosetta 2 allows you to run x86 code i.e. Windows applications Mac OS applications on Apple's ARM architecture. It's not exactly an emulator, but rather a "compatibility layer" much like WINE is for Linux-based operating systems. And, as far as I know, much like WINE, it's kinda hit-or-miss (for now).

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2021
  18. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Hmz that sounds not very motivating to upgrade. I'm pretty sure now to stay on my Intel for a while and see what happens with M1 in the next months. Better safe than sorry.

19. kh_minusone

kh_minusone Guest

@D-Music My bad, I made a mistake. Rosetta 2 isn't what allows you to run Windows applications; it's only for x86 applications that were written for Intel-based Macs. The application that *does* allow you to run Windows apps is called CrossOver, but the point of it being hit-or-miss still stands unfortunately.

EDIT: Also, you see a lot of users (not specific to these forums) reporting how much faster their M1 Macs are, compared to their previous Intel Macs but I'm here wondering just how much slower they were in practice that warranted the upgrade to the M1 models. I find it hard to believe that somehow their software runs faster non-natively under Rosetta 2 than it did natively under Intel processors. Some specialized applications still have some issues running under Rosetta 2 as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Got it! (I was indeed a bit confused with the Windows part haha) I'm also familiar with Crossover btw but I agree that it's not really stable in some or even most cases. Not that I want Windows stuff on my Mac but tried it anyway to see how it worked. So if Rosetta is similar I don't think that's the way to go. Better wait a while.

21. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

My 2007 core 2duo it's still working perfectly today with Windows 10... Does that mean that it's also an excellent machine?