Merging two projects together?

Discussion in 'Live' started by TheAbaddon, Oct 5, 2013.

1. TheAbaddon

TheAbaddon Newbie

So my friend and I decided to collaborate on a project. He lives a far way away from me so working on the same computer isn't really going to work...

I started off the song on my own blah blah blah I save a copy and sent it to him, he started working on his part, added a couple new tracks and stuff and its sounding baller. :break: However, he didnt do any work with the intro so he deleted it and just worked on the stuff he wanted added. Ergo i need to kinda take his project and put it inside mine... I tried simple copying and pasting, but since he added new tracks the alignment started getting all wonky. Is there an easier or more proper way of being able to combine these two projects together? or am I going to have to go in and meticulously copy and paste all of the tracks, vsts, and audio effects over? :dunno:

Any and all help is appreciated :)

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

U should just be able to drag one project into another from Lives browser.

4. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

if u change the extension of a project file from .als to .zip and open it, u gonna see it contains only a simple xml file without any file extension, unzip the file and give .als extension to it, AL will able to open it (simple double click on it)

from now u can simply use git,cvs,svn,whatever version tracking system (the project file is simply text not a binary one, so u compare the project files too), there is an automatized solution here http://crooked-hideout.blogspot.hu/2012/01/ableton-live-set-is-gzipped-xml-ruby.html

have fun :)

ps. introductory for git is here http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/git-for-designers-part-1

5. TheAbaddon

TheAbaddon Newbie

Thanks guys :) You were a great help