melodyne vs auto-tune

Discussion in 'Software' started by tafelrunde, Mar 21, 2016.

1. GokhanH33

GokhanH33 Ultrasonic

Not really. It destorts the sound a lot. I get the same results with Melodyne, too. Especially on "S"s. Autotune is the best.

2. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I've yet to hear any singer who hits every note perfect. Being off a few cents is called the human factor. I don't care how nice a timbre of voice a singer has. They're always going to be flawed in that aspect.

3. Ankit

Ankit Guest

It means nothing is comparable to Autotune?
    There is very old version of Autotune on Sister site. Is that good enough?
    Reaper's autotune? How's that?

I haven't worked with vocals yet. But I would like to have better software when I will.

4. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Since the replies seem to be veering off-topic a bit, here's mine: I have tried Auto-Tune and Melodyne on my own vocals, and mostly didn't like the restults because I no longer sounded like "me," or "myself." Unless I had gone for an intentionally-freakish or "treated"-sounding effect, it sounded rather creepy, as though an android replicant had taken over my vocal duties. I realized that a lot of the emotional "content," or that which makes a personal connection with the soul of the listener, had been depleted in the process of "perfection." I decided that, though AT, MD, and such have both practical utility and experimental value, as for my own vocals, I should just stay in practice and do more cardio-pulmonary aerobic exercise.

5. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Melodyne is great, but you can't use it as an "auto" tool if you want it to sound natural.

If you want to make it shine, you have to treat each individual note/word/phrase individually, because it will not work equally well for every passage/articulation of a song....So, you have to go note by note.

Also, you may want to hold the shift key while dragging notes. You don't want them to snap to perfect pitch, otherwise it will sound very artificial.

Use shift+drag and then use your ears to find the sweet spot, in the context of the song.....Certain passages sound better a few cents up or a few cents down, depending on a number of factors.

Oh, and the most important trick to make melodyned vocals sound right is to mix the fixed track with the original...A little bit of the original track "bleeding" into the fixed one will already make it sound better. You don't want to hear it, you want to feel it...So, turn up the volume on the original, uncorrected track until you can barely hear it and then back it away a little.

Believe me, if you spend about third minutes to an hour carefully melodyning a vocal track, you'll achieve great results. Do a first pass on the context of the mix and a second solo pass to fix possible minor glitches.

Anyway, as always, you can't polish a turd, so I'm assuming you have a reasonably decent vocal track to begin with, otherwise, a polished turd will sound exactly like a polish turd.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  6. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

If it's a software discussion.. Melodyne is better for manual pitch correction (You must fully learn to use it). And for live pitch correction (no T-Pain effect) it might as well be a hardware discussion.. Auto-Tune, Helicon, and more pricey racks that are less often discussed at the dinner table.

7. Wuji

Wuji Ultrasonic

This. Kind of, a tomato is a fruit but, yeah.
    I like using Melodyne more because I prefer correcting things myself. I mean you can get good results with Autotune, but there is nothing worse than getting Vocals with a really bad Autotune correction. When it comes to automatic correction I often prefer Waves tune. I have no real argument why I like it more, but my taste tells me it works better and is simpler to use. But if the singer is slightly off, often you don't really need a fix anyway.

8. rBennich

rBennich Kapellmeister

Imagine using melodyne live. "Hey, people... would you please cover your ears during the whole concert, so we can email you the edited version in about a week? Please leave your email adresses in our guestbook by the door before you leave. Cheers!"

9. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    Ah and we go back to another topic here.Most important you have to know music theory in order to use em correctly enough to have the desirable sound.Then comes what everyone said before. Melodyne for manual and Autotune for live.