melodyne vs auto-tune

Discussion in 'Software' started by tafelrunde, Mar 21, 2016.

1. tafelrunde

tafelrunde Member

what software do u guys think is "better", or if you think they are on the same level of quality, please share your thoughts on where you would classify the two softwares.

u know like when to use auto tune and when to use melodyne. what are the vulnerabilities and resiliences?

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]thanks[/FONT]

3. If you need a quick fix, Autotune is still an hard beast to beat while Melody has an extra kick, in terms of workflow, when approaching a more complex editing session.
    You can achieve the same results with both. I think that choosing between them it's just a matter of taste/money.

4. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

are we comparing auto tune manual pitch correction?
    because I've heard they are in the same ballpark,

but, auto tune being set on a key and doing all the work for u (live) is a whole different game

5. Agree... in a live enviroment, Autotune it's a total winner

6. Mirage

Mirage Member

For me, Autotune is more of a tool to make special effects. Melodyne is also a great creative tool, but it's much better than Autotune for transparent pitch correction. If the singer is just very slightly off-key, I leave it. It's not pleasent to hear a pitch-perfect vocal.

I only correct single notes or a very bad vocal take, so I always use Melodyne.

Autotune on stage ? What kind of joke is that ? Imagine if the singer drops the note completely... :rofl:I mean, I know some use it, but it doesn't let the singer to go musically off-key.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Sometimes, as in some rap/hiphop/electronica (for example) singing style, going "musically off-key" is not an suitable option.

8. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

^ this it should only ever be used to help gently slide the singer back into key. never to fix people who can't actually sing.
    Antares autotune is great to be able to pull people slightly in. and melodyne is awesome for complete manipulation i know people who use it more for remixes than actual singers.

so no one is better than the other

they are different

9. Levi Pereira

Levi Pereira Newbie

Revoice Pro x Melodyne :yes:

10. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Melodyne 4 is an amazingly powerful editing and creative tool, and I am not easily impressed by some of this stuff. Pitch correction is just one of the things it does well. (And on a personal note: How does a person get to be a professional singer if they need pitch correction in the 1st place?) New mix consoles have pitch correction built into the effects on each channel. :wtf:

11. Curryouz

Curryouz Member

Best Answer
    To be honest, I use them both when editing / comping vocals. But it heavily depends on the singer and its "quality". If a singer is slightly off-key, Melodyne will do a good job alone... If there are other / more inaccuracies, Melodyne wouldn't do what you expect, when you only drag the notes / blobs to the desired position. That's because Melodyne also looks INTO the note and its behavior. They call it "drift". So even when you correct notes manually, the drifts will remain and you might be still "off-key", unless you take the time and correct the drifts, too - it's possible in Melodyne, but results are meant to sound weird or - yes - "corrected".
    This is something that Autotune does better. Autotune analyzes the whole note / tone in realtime and tweaks it. The results when using Autotune depend on the settings of the plug-in. My recommendation is to set the retune-speed to a lower value, unless you're not into the Cher-effect, but that's not what we're talking about here...
    I experienced, that it might be extremely useful to use both plug-ins together: Melodyne first, Autotune second.
    So with Melodyne you can drag wrong notes closer to the desired key and Autotune does the rest.
    But again: Be careful / diffident with the settings.

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yeah, it works great on American Idol and X Factor :wink:

13. Bambix

Bambix Newbie

I usually use auto-tune's auto mode if the singer is barely out of tune. It's really quick and efficient. You can choose your settings not to be too picky, leaving natural drift, but correcting pitch.

I use Melodyne for more complexe editing, to create additionnal voices, and even to pitch polyphonic stuff (like if somone send me guitars recorded out of tune).

I never used the full edition tool in AT.

14. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

there's a lot more to being a "professional singer" than just hitting the notes. in fact, in some genres, hitting the right notes falls pretty far down the list of requirements.

i'm just a singer in a rock 'n roll band - or at least i used to be. i was never pitch-perfect, but a lot of people seemed to enjoy my performance. i once got conned by my son into playing a game of "rock band" on his game console. i did what i thought was a pretty killer version of bon jovi's wanted dead or alive. sadly, the machine didn't agree. it was the one and only time i have ever done that. lol.

there are some incredibly off-key singers who have somehow made it big in the music biz. unfortunately, i wasn't one of them.

15. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

yeah, I agree that perfect pitch isn't that important. I love Tom Waits, but I would usually rather listen to other people sing Bob Dylan songs than Dylan. lol

16. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

Honestly they are quite different, it's like comparing carrots with tomatoes. They both are vegetables, yes, but they are different.
    Melodyne is great when it comes to precisely edit an audio clip, and it's also very useful to change single notes in some sampled chords/stabs. On the other hand Autotune is, well... Autotune. Quick fix and useful in realtime, even if a better singer would be better in the first place haha

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  17. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Agree!

18. Well... i'm completely against auto-tuning a live performance but, in terms of practicality, it works better than melodyne... :hillbilly:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Ankit

Ankit Guest

MautoPitch vs autotune?
    Can we get similar results with MAutoPitch?

20. timer

timer Producer

There are professionals that sing, which includes singer/songwriters without any technique, rappers and so on. Some of them are great. And there are professional singers you can hire, if you need some vocal for your production. Some of them great, too.
    Both professional, but only one group in need of autotune. Different approaches.

I always thought being "professional" just means "making a living from it". There's a lot of amateurs hitting a note way better than well known rock stars. But perfection is not what music is about.

21. oisinn

oisinn Ultrasonic

Obviously Meleodyne does not do the have automatic live tuning that the Antares does. I have not used the manual pitch correction in Autotune but I have used Melodyne quite a lot to manually pitch correct. I can confirm that Melodyne always introduces artifacts in the sound sometimes quite severe. This happens at all bit depths and sampling rates and on powerful and less powerfull computers. Celemony would say that you will not notice it in the mix and that is OK if you have a full mix with plenty of instruments to mask but what if you have just guitar and voice or even just acapella?!?!?! Melodyne never captures audio 100% correctly - the capture always needs adjustment. I have heard that Revoice Pro has a much better algorithm and does not introduce artifacts and now, thanks to Team AudioUtopia, you could try this for yourself over on the sister site.:wink:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016